Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is true for literally every MLB owner, so it evens out
Yeah but the Ricketts have been well known Trump mega donors so it’s more appropriate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Guardians traded him and immediately he started hitting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Concerning!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phil Nevin out as Angels manager

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cashman should absolutely be fired but he’s too connected with ownership to take the blame for anything

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They have hitting and pitching coaches

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Poque posted:

if we stop Cubsposting the forums will literally die.
The Cubsposters die, the Yankee posters inherit the Earth

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Welcome Rays fans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kudos to the Rangers for taking a chance on Carter when everyone else was extremely confused by that pick

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Extremely Mets to have their big scandal involve injuries
I believe we have now reached Peak Mets (TM)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Votto isn’t done yet

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1710317082275926451?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Votto looked pretty washed this year, didn't he?
Yes but he’s been hurt so I’m sure that’s not helping

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sandy Alcantara needs TJ as well

RIP
This sucks but considering how shaky he was this year, I can't say I'm surprised

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Honestly I think like pointing fingers at one specific bad decision like pulling Berrios, or Guerrero getting caught off of second is pointless because it's diverting attention away from the overall poor performance of the offense which dogged the team all year long after April ended.
On paper that offense should have been one of the best in baseball, but yes, they clearly underperformed significantly and that doomed them in the end. I also don't know what you do about it going forward, because now Chapman is going to be a FA and I'm sure other players on that team are getting raises as well through arb.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think that Gabriel Moreno trade was a big mistake. Moreno is great and they also gave up Gurriel Jr who was pretty good. Varsho is alright but I think they lost that trade easily.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Maddon gets the Mets job, but he has to keep that mohawk or whatever he had from the end of his time in LA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Artix posted:

Despite... everything currently going on against Texas, it's hard to take this year as anything other than an unqualified success, everyone thought we were going to regress after a 20+ win season last year, and then we went and won another 20 more games this year. Obviously the Yankees and Red Sox probably aren't going to eat poo poo like they did this year, so I don't expect to win 100 games again, but Gunnar and Adley have proven themselves to be legit, Bradish took a huge step forward, second half Grayson looks every bit the ace we hoped he would be, and Means is back. Losing Felix sucks, but the bullpen is full of castoffs and spare parts anyway, so I trust Elias to come up with a few more next year.

This is just the absolute worst way to end a phenomenal season. :smith:
They still badly need pitching. I'm just not sure that ownership is going to be willing to spend to get it though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uh you don’t want to be the Rays when it comes to FA. Their biggest FA signing ever was Zach Eflin at 3/$42 mil this offseason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

I can't even imagine a team with the monstrous amount of profit of the Yankees pulling the "We need to be cost conscious" card

Just kidding, they all do that
Boston is also doing that...they should have more money to spend than teams like the Braves, but they still let most of their home-grown guys walk or they traded them early like Betts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Buxton and Kirilloff of the Twins are also having surgeries now that their season is over

Both of these guys have a long, long injury history at this point

https://x.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1712966951973118050?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really don’t understand this move

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1713899778860290543?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I’ll be curious how Bruce Sherman tries to spin this

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 16, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is the statement from ownership

https://twitter.com/j_mcpherson1126/status/1713903455431995668?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 16, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Harlock posted:

Shipping up to Boston is my guess
I don’t think any big names are going to go there when they are not going to have full control of baseball decisions

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That is my assumption yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok that’s even dumber than I thought

“You made the playoffs for the first time in decades! Enjoy a demotion!”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I *think* the POBO thing came about as a way of de facto firing her (because obviously she'll resign) after she wouldn't shut up about needing to spend more money.
It’s certainly possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The Marlins are dumb as poo poo. Schumaker's probably looking for a way out now too.
It’s still not going to top Jeffrey Loria firing Joe Girardi after he won the Manager of the Year in 2006

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

They're looking for a hatchetman so hopefully they get someone from the Rockies or Royals.
A fate worse than death

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Kim Ng also declined to interview with the Red Sox for their GM position

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It took them two years to find this guy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why would Buck want that job

The Angels are going to be terrible next year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last thing I got to really do with my dad was that we went to the Marlins’ FanFest in 2012 in their new stadium. A few months later he was diagnosed with leukemia and then at the end of the year he passed away from complications from an infection after he finished his last round of chemo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Giants are hiring Bob Melvin from the Padres

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

A Diamondbacks championship this year will open the floodgates for more statements like this from owners.

They’ll also somehow simultaneously cry about how small market teams can’t compete without a hard salary cap.
The Mets and Padres collapsing has already done that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What, none of them are leaving to go work for a Trump Super PAC?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/BizballMaury/status/1718326149447872921

thread

by far my favorite is Phillies which is just a baseball player smoking a cigarette but the cigarette is also part of a baseball
Go Bbackks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would be perfect for the Angels to hire a problematic guy who has no managerial experience to run a team that is going to be pretty poo poo next year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

I'll post the Phillies one, my favorite

also look at that bat
Sexy Steve Buchemi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009