Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

In time I will miss my barely above 500 team during a long cold winter of listening to people scream about firing everyone and trading everyone for a bag of balls and why didn’t they just trade for the best players in baseball easy peasy?

But today I feel some comfort I don’t have a game to watch tomorrow.

Gotta make those excuses for the lovely way the Yankees are run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bellinger and the Cubs is a relationship that should continue. He has been an inconsistent performer and it really worked there. I could see him coming to the Yankees and being Joey Gallo 2.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mariners always seemed like a legit threat to get Ohtani to me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Boone’s job was safe the second Judge publicly supported him. Judge’s opinion matters much more than the screaming masses.

But also I don’t think Cashman or the Yankees have fired a manager since Buck. It’s a business style more than anything else. Boone isn’t the problem. Managers are fired as scapegoats. The Yankees don’t do that since Steinbrenner died and to some extent that’s probably because of what an rear end in a top hat Steinbrenner was with that tactic.

The Yankees were somehow the worst constructed team in history and also the worst managed team in history and also the most underperforming team in history. Trolls gonna troll. You just gotta ignore them.

basically everything I said about the team was right yet i'm trolling according to you heh.

i will agree with you that manager doesn't matter that much but i don't see why the Yankees need to have a manager who is universally thought of as mediocre. there isn't anyone in the world who thinks that boone is a top half of the league manager and i don't see why the yankees shouldn't have one of the best managers in the sport but the organization is both incompetent and arrogant and it's likely they will change nothing in the way they do things because they legitimately think everything is going great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bringing in a bunch of McKinsey ghouls to tell management what they want to hear isn't really all that impressive to me. Sorry.

The team hasn't been in the world series in 14 years so what i've been saying about the horrific way the team has been built in the last few years is pretty valid. They had literally no choice but to bring up young players in September. That is what every single team that is out of the playoffs does. They have made a clear choice not to start to turn over this roster for years and years of failure and for you to say that they can't remake the roster unless they sign Ohtani or Bellinger (which I'm against) is just completely foolish. They can clearly turn this roster over without signing either of those guys if they realy recognize that something is wrong with the way the team is built which I have no idea if they do or not. We'll see what they do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I would be genuinely curious as to what you think their path forward is beyond firing people.

Other than Judge and Volpe they should dump as much of the rest of the lineup as possible including being willing to eat money to do it and attack the mid tier FA market and trade market trying to get as many lefty hitters as possible and don't prospect hug. I have no idea who is going to be available or not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

That’s not actually a plan. What happens when you spend money unloading anyone who was productive and can’t actually sign or trade for better players? You just tank? And you’re doing that through the early years of your massive Judge contract or Cole/Rodon contracts?

This is what I hate about the sports radio caller fandom. It’s all anger and wanting blood and turnover but never actually a practical plan of how to clean up afterwards.

It's funny that you think that if the Yankees were tanking other than Cole and Judge that it would look all that much different from the 2023 season. There are no other productive hitters on the team other than Torres who they could probably get something for no matter what I think of him.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 3, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

If you’re looking for signs of hope from this season it’s very good second half performances from Torres and LaMahieu. Stanton seems broken physically. Hopefully Rizzo will recover but who knows? But you have to hope Torres and DJ keep it rolling. I think they’ll go after Bellinger and hope they get Dominguez mid season. But I don’t really see the other options available for them.

And yeah staff wise just have to hope Rodon and Cortes can be healthy. Hope King and Schmidt can develop into mid rotation starters. Maybe offer one year deals to Severino and Montas since you can never have too much depth assuming internal health reports are good. But again I don’t see the transformative move out there.

So basically you want to run it back again and hope it works out better with maybe Bellinger who is a COLLOSSALLY risky signing. I'm sure that will work out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I want to address the problem from a productive angle instead of an angry one. Get younger and more athletic with the kids, improve where you can, re-evaluate your approach. Once again do you have something to offer other than “burn it all down”?

What the hell are they burning down by getting rid of worthless players? They have to sign good mid tier FAs and make some good trades. That is what the GM is paid 8 million a year to do, no?

MrMidnight posted:

It's a much better plan than dump/sell everyone but Judge and Volpe and then try to compete with 29 other teams to fill in the other 7 spots.

Who are they dumping in that scenario with even a positive VORP other than Torres?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 3, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. If you could just turn a team over in one offseason a lot of teams would do it. It doesn’t work that way. Even with unlimited money. You work with what you have and what’s available. Stanton and Rizzo might be broken for good. So what do you do about that? Can you improve on that? Gleyber and DJ have shown productivity. Do you focus on what they are or what they’re not? Is there a better option?

Those are the real questions the actual people running the team have to ask. They don’t have the liberty of just making a list of people to get rid of and then shrugging your shoulders at what comes next.

I have no idea who is available on the trade market which is going have to be a huge part of it. That is dumb speculation that I can't do because I'm not a GM and your contention that it's completely unrealistic to expect a GM to "make good trades" is just smooth brained. If you're a good GM, you find ways to make good trades!!! Cashman even used to make good trades from time to time.... back in the Bush administration.

We all know who the good mid tier FA's are going to be. Guys like Candelario, Kiermeier, Pederson, Garver, Conforto, Rosario. I'd love to see them sign Justin Turner if he's available even though he's a righty.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Just don't ask me how. Just trust me. I'm the best GM ever. I can also predict the future

Curious about what I'm supposed to post? I just listed a list of mid tier FA's they should look at. Should i make up trades like a sports talk radio caller? you don't as a fan have enough information to judge the trade market.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1708963049032335640

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1709218785004290505

lol the Yankees legitimately think they are doing everything right and just getting VERY VERY VERY unlucky.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have hitting and pitching coaches

They multiple pitching and hitting coaches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The got literally NOTHING from any position player other than Judge and Gleyber this season and I feel like the pitching was good enough at least to make the playoffs....

IDK if they can become a WS contender next year but they 100% can put a better product on the field than the dogshit we had to sit through in 2023 with a few smart trades/mid level FA signings. And more importantly being willing to eat money or include prospects to get rid of guys.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So it seems like Trevor Bauer got a little bit hosed over?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not very deep into the story but he has texts from this woman talking about holding him up for money and a video she took of them in bed together that is supposedly after he beat her up and she doesn't have any of those bruises? She was also apparently denied a restraining order which is very rare and might indicate that the judge thought she was lying. The thing seems less clear cut than I thought but who knows. It's not like i think Bauer should be given the benefit of the doubt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lumpy posted:

My expert opinion as a someone who is old, never played organized sports past 9th grade, and has never had any sort of medical training whatsoever is that his swing is killing him. It seems 95% of his power comes from torquing his lower back violently, which I imagine is tolerable to one's body when they are in their 20s, but holy crap, I cannot fathom doing that more than once a year and being able to walk or sit or do anything besides lay very still for a week or so after.

Check out him trying to score from 2nd on a single lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Monathin posted:

Guys I am one of three Cleveland fans here and even I think Bauer is a shitbag who shouldn't be given any sort of leniency with this poo poo. If he wants to prove it in a court of law, let him. Until then he should shut the gently caress up.

Well it sounds like it's over right? He wasn't charged, he settled with her and it's not going to court. We'll likely never know the full truth.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Red posted:

Here's the thing, though: There was more than one woman involved, and each had similar claims of extreme/visible injury and trauma. There are photos of bruising, and so on.

So. Are we being asked to believe that each case involved a woman who asked Bauer to have violent sex with them, then changed their story and tried to squeeze him for money?

Yeah i have a hard time believing that they all made it up and that is why I don't really feel bad for him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I shouldn't have even posted the bauer poo poo. It's a waste of time. Sorry thread.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why are the Mets dumping Alonso again?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Vlad Jr's baserunning would fit in perfectly on the Yankees.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Billy Epler out as Mets gm

TERRIBLE hire.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Just wait till Cashman brings him back as a VP of whatever.

cashman already hired a bunch of his fired friends so wouldn't suprise me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Red posted:

He's not the problem.

He did a dogshit job there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Red posted:

You're right, Uncle Steve is totally a hands-off owner

Eppler has been a GM twice and has been dogshit in both locations. He's not a good GM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Extremely Mets to have their big scandal involve injuries

Hilarious that an Astros fan would think that this is a "big scandal"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I would bet many hundreds of dollars that the Mets aren't hiring Joe Maddon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

quote:

"We're going to make some changes. Some may be more subtle than others," Steinbrenner said Wednesday during Sportico's Invest in Sports conference. "Possibly personnel but not necessarily personnel. It could be practices. It could be the way we communicate."

LOL they are running it back again, aren't they............

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

It was a terrible, very very bad mistake by Cashman to ever trade him away. I said at the time that Bader would have to be the next Bernie Williams for it to be worth it, and he was very much not that. Montgomery would have been a very strong number 2 pitcher behind Cole this year, and given what happened to the rest of the staff, that might have been enough on its own for the Yankees to sneak into the wildcard game with Minnesota (and possibly scrape by in three games and get swept by the Astros again).

So they should sign him again, is what I'm saying: 1. Cole 2. Montgomery 3. King 4. Rodon 5. Schmidt 6. Cortes 7-8. Brito/Vasquez looks good enough to me (although admittedly the bats and the gloves are the larger issue by approximately several miles). Do not under any circumstances sign Montas.

I'm not as worked up about that trade as you are. Yeah it was a bad trade but it's WAY down on the list of bad trades they made. I don't believe that they would've made the playoffs this year if they had monty and if they really want to sign him as a FA after the season they could've done that anyway. They missed the playoffs because of the way they hosed up the lineup, not the pitching.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 12, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Allright I'll do it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

People don't just step away from GM jobs.... I wonder what the backstory of this is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1713952636938891725

It wasn't money. They wanted to hire a president of baseball ops over her.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Counterpoint: more teams should fire Joe Girardi when possible

Hard to imagine that the Yankees downgraded from Girardi but they did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

She worked for Cashman.....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The fantasy scenario in which the Yankees fire Cashman and replace him with Ng is like ignoring all human relationships involved. It’s drat near Shakespearean.

Something tells me that Kim isn't going to be viewed as just another Steinbrenner child.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Make mcmagic the Yankees GM

I'd do it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, that’s bullshit. I guess they really need more luxury boxes in order to pay that massive 19/30 payroll.

Speaking of 22 year olds, some assistant from Wander’s DR winter league team said he’s welcome to join the team at any time and then the GM immediately backtracked and said we’re going through the process, respecting the investigations, etc etc. I don’t think there’s been any news about what’s going on with him.

The Rays also announced they’re firing the 1B/baserunning coach (they hosed up a lot on the bases this year) and one of the assistant hitting coaches (they don’t need three of them, apparently).

And there’s speculation that Tito wants Kevin Cash to succeed him at Cleveland, but y’all can’t have him.

Why would anyone stay with the Rays if they had any other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not that it matters but Sean Casey isn't coming back as hitting coach. I wonder who the next Boone pal up is...