Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This is the offseason thread though????

We're working on it, we'll start giving them a reason starting Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I feel like the Chicago Cubs could have been swept out of the wild card round much more stiffly than these other jabroni teams.

Yeah but who wouldn't love to see the Chicago Cubs get swept out of the wild card series in such a fashion.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
wrong thread

Dameius fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 10, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
quote does not equal edit, :eng99:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sucks for the Os, I was rooting for y'all to rough up the Rangers some.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

camoseven posted:

I hate that the cheapest, least ambitious, pettiest, dumbest, most rear end in a top hat loving LOSERS are the only people allowed to own baseball teams. gently caress YOU!!!!

If it is any consolation to us today, miserly owners loving their team has been a part of baseball for as long as we've had professional leagues.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My dad got me into baseball and used to umpire my little league games (our umpires also sucked and couldn't manage a strike zone, we were just like the pros!). And he's still alive and from what I know very happy and content with his second family, spending my grandparent's inheritance lavishly on my step siblings.

So if your dad is still alive and in your life, don't let that time go to waste. :smith:

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If he's not worried about the payday over all else and wants to focus on the competition then there is a different kind of gulf state he should move to.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Ohtani could win a home, the missing link in the Astros game. :(

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
At least the CA governor didn't invite bitcoin scammers to set up shop there after China kicked them out. CA grid still sucks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

I'll post the Phillies one, my favorite

also look at that bat

The Phillies went all in on non-euclidean batting and vibes the last two seasons, so this checks out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of it is you got old school guys like JV and Max who want to pitch 12 innings every outing and believe they can get anyone out in any inning, and you have to accommodate guys like that. Younger guys, I think, know what time it is, so to speak, with regards to how much they get to pitch. Obviously the manager for my team last year is famous for letting starters pitch themselves into early retirement, so I can only go off of what I saw, but even Dusty was going to get some of the younger guys in the fourth and fifth. Occassionally.

I mean, I grew up out of market so I watched tons of Braves baseball on TBS in the 90s which gave me an affinity for CGSO pitchers and dominant starters and so I love power pitchers dominating for nine innings but I can see that it's bad for pitchers' careers on the whole and bad for team W/L totals

Baseball has always had problems when baseball changes to be still baseball but slightly different and this feels like more the same.

Also, I have no idea what other people's opinions on this are, but watching MLB games online legally, especially if you're wanting to just follow your team is needlessly dumb and bad.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

It is, but I couldn't exactly pirate streams of Astros games in 1994.

I'm of the opinion that I'm willing to pay a premium in order to get a solid, good resolution broadcast and we were doing that through FUBO, until they hiked the price $30 a month (to $100!) and we were like nah. We tried the illegal streams thing of a bit but it was inconsistent. Luckily, my roommate's mom gets DirecTV, which had ATT Southwest, so we've been watching via her login. I don't know how it's going to work with the new Houston sports channel.

Yeah that was more a follow on thought from the tweet earlier than commentary on you suffering in purgatory in the 90s.

Just another aspect of refusing to get with the times kinda thing, although poo poo how far back do you gotta get for good streaming still being a coming soon.

Space City Sports will be tied to cable packages as far as I saw.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
idk y'all, the first official interleague series between the Astros and the Yankees involved the Astros doing a 6 pitcher combined no hitter in Yankee stadium and that's pretty cool.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Looking at the called strike zones vs what the rules say it is... did they?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I am a giant piece of poo poo and I say Ohtani to the Rangers because they're a championship team and let's just be fuckin supervillains now I'm mad with power and emotions

See? Now you get it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Unless your starting point is Arlington, the answer is half an hour or longer.

e: for the two years I was in Dallas, it was near Addison and that'd be a 45-60 drive in traffic not accounting for congestion trying to get to a parade route.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

We'd play a game in the texpol thread whenever a new Jan 6th defendant got charged: "Which Metroplex suburb is this person from?" Usually Frisco.

This is Plano erasure.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Got lots of friends who live in Arlington, and there's some nice pockets to it away from the mess. It's just where it's a mess it's...well, messy.

Comparing it to Houston is unfair since Houston has eaten all of its surroundings, both good and bad.

Dallas and Houston both had white flight. Houston's response was to say gently caress that and just swallow the flight and keep bloating out. Dallas took a different approach.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bandire posted:

I'm not sure its all that different. I bought a house in Little Elm (basically Denton) in 2021 because the housing market was utter loving chaos at the time. Its still just non-stop construction up here almost 3 years later. They are determined to pave and suburbanize every square inch all the way to Oklahoma at this point.

I meant that the municipal boundaries of Houston kept expanding to recapture the flight (obviously not universally, and the furthest flung white flight still stayed independent and blah blah blah) while Dallas metro has a lot of individual municipalities. After Houston annexed Kingwood in the 90s the state got pissy and basically shut Houston down from doing it again. Both Houston and DFW are sprawling blobs of strip malls and parking lots. But we're getting pretty far from baseball at this point so I'll drop it there.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't think the Astros are even considering him but that is the funniest option so it should happen.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Starting Andrew Heaney in the world series and winning really is something else. Congrats to Not the Astros i guess

They won because they used Will Smith in the world series.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Snakes do tend to have a rather contentious history there, yeah.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sydin posted:

Jesus died for your sins and also on the side likes to nudge the results of American sporting events, you know it's just a little fun.

I knew those Garcia dingers were sus, it was Jesus all along.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

The hypocrisy of american christianity is pretty evident but also not something we should be talking about in the baseball thread? IDK, I guess since free agency doesn't start for three more days maybe it's a big who cares until then

Jesus was pretty good at drafting free agents I hear.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

But can he hit a curveball?

He specializes in a rising fastball.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He can talk all the poo poo he wants, but he should do a better job of it. I understand though, Rangers haven't had a lot of practice winning and getting a chance at the mic.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Popete posted:

They should have rolled coal during the parade.

Someone probably will while leaving.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Rangers fans should get to enjoy every single minute of this and nothing anyone will say will really do anything to diminish it.

If anyone isn't a basketball fan or just doesn't know a lot about 90s NBA, go look up the Hakeem/Robinson matchup because it was some top tier content.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

Could God throw a curveball that even He could not hit? Yes, and he'd mash a dinger anyway

Would the angels in the outfield catch it at the wall though?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Look - Bregman should've been embarrassed at the front end.

He should've know the Rangers were playing 4-D chess, dropping the division to make sure the Astros had 4 games at Minute Maid during the ALCS.

We got played.

We played ourselves.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Astros are looking for a coach. :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

The Texans played their first game against the Cowboys and won, in what was expected to be a pretty easy win even for a lovely Cowboys team. If I had actually been watching football back then I'd have killed to see Jerry Jones's face when the game ended.

That happened when I was still in school and I remember talking about it in class saying how I don't care if they suck forever because at least they beat the Cowboys. And boy they sure took that to heart.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He'll fit in great with the Giants.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I hear Ohtani loves viet-cajun crawfish.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not analytical, don't put in the papers that I'm analytical.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think that my good friend Shohei Ohtani should sign with the Rangers. If that happened, I would like it.

But then he'd be living in DFW which is too much to ask of anyone.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds like he is going to Houston then.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Shohei would never bang a can

Wouldn't need to, just bang dingers.

But also I don't seriously expect him to go to Houston or for it to even be in consideration, it'd just be funny if he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm noting that we're all fine with this so I don't want to hear any "i always hated that guy" poo poo in two years when we get mad about a lineup

Espada was a great pick and got us our next ring, what a great hire!

Espada is dogshit garbage.

In two years I'll quote this post and edit out whichever isn't relevant.