Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol if you can't perfectly recreate a ballgame in your mind from the box score like Cypher in the matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/FMBuster/status/1717157731931422722

People are pissed, but I don't blame the players

lmao at Philly Little Big League "gently caress TREA TURNER"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A little May/September collapse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Michael Conforto!

Maton was down a bit during the midseason but he came back and finished strong. Honestly I'd take all of the RPs back at the right price; unfortunately, paying Rafael Montero the stupidest contract I've ever seen is going to make that a lot harder. No way in hell Neris exercises that option, he could sign for real money next season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Hope you're ready for the everyday OF of Chas/Dubon/Tuck

With Dusty gone you aren't going to sniff Dubon in the OF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think they sign a corner OF, someone like, oh idk, MICHAEL CONFORTO

That's whose available as a FA, some guys have options they may or may not exercise. Not exactly a bountiful harvest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Oh I thought you were joking about that lol

I never joke about Michael Conforto

Oh another off season move should be to demolish MMP and replace it with an exact replica of Globe Life. Or build a park in Katy idk, maybe being outside the city limits will help.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 25, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speficially for LF it's even worse

Guriel I guess. Joc is a clubhouse cancer, don't want him running high stakes pai gow games in the locker room at 3 am on a getaway day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The entire FA bats market kinda sucks

Save one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Joc is a two-time Champion, a certified Postseason Dude, and a chunky boi.

He's also a degenerate gambler and owns and operates player-only opium dens and fight clubs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

maybe seeing his in-state rivals go all in on spending and beat him will make Jim Crane decide to go full Cohen

lol no

He's going to spend a lot of money. Badly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dusty told Bob he's retiring so everyone is treating it as "official" even though the presser isn't until tomorrow.

I think Espada should get the job, I think he's earned it. I'm terrified it's gonna go to Brad Ausmus or Tony LaRussa or Billy Martin

Oh also since he's older than 65, he's HoF eligible in 6 months. I imagine his speech is going to be in the top ten.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

I've already made my peace that Ohtani is going to go the Dodgers, which means he's still never gonna get a ring but hey at least he'll know what it feels like to win the division a lot.

Hey, there might be a lockout-shortened season in 2026.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some petro prince is going to pay him $10bn to play for the Abu Dhabi Falcons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that the Anaheim stereotype

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like he rents

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1717618646111973660

I'm....I'm just so happpy

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 26, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

as much of a disaster as the CA grid is, it’s still more reliable than Texas

Yeah actually CA is the one state that cannot make that claim. And really, power grids across the nation are in shambles; it's more of a demand exceeding supply issue than it is a grid management situation though (though every state has chronically underfunded and ignored its grid infrastructure). TX, NY, FL, and CA are all looking at big time supply shortfalls in the next decade given growth trends

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I try not to watch sports deontologically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe mookie should have a sexual relationship with Trev, might give him a different perspective

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who uses openers with regularity, I know the old heads sports media has been clutching their pearls about it for a few years but it doesn't seem to be that common.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Two teams are doing it in the World Series tonight!

Right, but no one will see that.

rickiep00h posted:

"Opener" here has a definition as broad as "Millennial" in that it really means "anyone who starts and goes less than seven." It's also comparable because it's only something old people get mad about.

The rest of us call it a bullpen day.

I don't think teams are building staffs around a bullpen day every four starts, I think it's just really hard to have 4-5 legit big league starters on one team. But I'm sure banning bullpen days will suddenly create a whole bunch of viable starters out of thin air.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBLife/status/1719399621548519834

Dusty got the only thing better than WS ring

more falafel please posted:

to me the "opener" is different than a bullpen game. with an opener, you still have a "bulk guy" who acts as the traditional starter, shooting for ~18-24 batters or 100 pitches, it's just that he comes in (ideally) in the 2nd to face the #4 hitter.

I don't watch a lot of non-astros games but I've seen that maybe two or three times in the last, oh idk, forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It does suck that every SP now basically has guaranteed TJ at some point. Gerrit Cole is on schedule to tear his UCL in the next coupla seasons. Alcantara will probably need a whole arm replacement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I like Gerrit Cole and don't like to see pitcher injuries. But he's a hard throwing guy with a wipeout slider so don't tell me you don't worry that he's gonna need TJ at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1719434060991221841

That's cool. The Rockets and the Astros banded together to buyout their ATT SW broadcaster and relaunch as "Space City Sports", I don't know if other cities/teams did that as well, but the article here is referring to teams who don't have a local broadcast home right now

quote:

Manfred’s quote about MLB broadcasting games for “up to 16 teams” may seem arbitrary, but the math works out. Two teams, the Diamondbacks and Padres, were dropped by the Diamond Sports Group and MLB aired their games in 2023. Another 12 teams (including the Minnesota Twins, whose carriage deal with Diamond ended after the 2023 season) had carriage deals with Diamond in 2023. Two more teams, the Pirates and Rockies, aired their games on AT&T SportsNet RSNs in 2023, which shut down after the season.

How many of the 16 teams’ games will MLB produce and broadcast in 2024? We’ve still got about five months to figure that out. But if MLB does get nudged into more short-term deals like it did with the Padres and Diamondbacks, the league can clearly handle it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

yeah it’s this, just teams en mass embracing the reality of the game kind of abruptly

But this also trickles down to player development too. Starting pitchers in the minors don’t get to see a lineup a third time through much anymore.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is you got old school guys like JV and Max who want to pitch 12 innings every outing and believe they can get anyone out in any inning, and you have to accommodate guys like that. Younger guys, I think, know what time it is, so to speak, with regards to how much they get to pitch. Obviously the manager for my team last year is famous for letting starters pitch themselves into early retirement, so I can only go off of what I saw, but even Dusty was going to get some of the younger guys in the fourth and fifth. Occassionally.

I mean, I grew up out of market so I watched tons of Braves baseball on TBS in the 90s which gave me an affinity for CGSO pitchers and dominant starters and so I love power pitchers dominating for nine innings but I can see that it's bad for pitchers' careers on the whole and bad for team W/L totals

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 31, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is, but I couldn't exactly pirate streams of Astros games in 1994.

I'm of the opinion that I'm willing to pay a premium in order to get a solid, good resolution broadcast and we were doing that through FUBO, until they hiked the price $30 a month (to $100!) and we were like nah. We tried the illegal streams thing of a bit but it was inconsistent. Luckily, my roommate's mom gets DirecTV, which had ATT Southwest, so we've been watching via her login. I don't know how it's going to work with the new Houston sports channel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When did WGN stop broadcasting Cubs games

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HATE interleague, I only want to have to think about the other league for the WS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah that's cause we're hiring the bassist from the Deftones at the direction of Baggy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You also have to be lucky, a couple of games break differently in the last week of the season and the Rangers don't even make the playoffs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I was an Ms fan I'd be pretty happy we didn't sign Trevor Story to a six year 140m deal. As an Ms foe I'm inconsolable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1719921130952085805

Yeah, you don't want to do a parade in Dallas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Minute Maid Park is tucked into a nice section in the middle of downtown Houston, Globe Life is in the concrete playground they purpose built for all the fun stuff to do in south Oklahoma.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No downtown, plenty of soulless desolation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long does it take you to get to Arlington from where you live

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We'd play a game in the texpol thread whenever a new Jan 6th defendant got charged: "Which Metroplex suburb is this person from?" Usually Frisco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

Presumably. I think people generally accepted the Royals would be good, and once Bo Jackson became a thing, everyone felt like they'd probably be good for a while.

Oops.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1719916293141213689

Smith should ask for a billion dollars

Turns out it was the Willenium, we just had the wrong guy

e: he's 34??? I thought he was like 55.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1720521647692665091

Like one player per truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux