Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I refuse to be afraid of the goddamn Marlins. This Phillies roster, in this stadium, vs a flukish Marlins team that cratered in the 2nd half. I know the Phillies have struggled vs the Marlins, but still

It's the Marlins

-every team that has lost to the Marlins in the postseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’d rather get swept in the first round than have a PTSD flashback every time I see a fly ball to right field

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

-every team that has lost to the Marlins in the postseason

Yep lol

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hey the Braves beat the Marlins in the postseason one time

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
All it took was a pandemic season where 16 teams made the playoffs for the Marlins to lose a postseason series

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I refuse to be afraid of the goddamn Marlins. This Phillies roster, in this stadium, vs a flukish Marlins team that cratered in the 2nd half. I know the Phillies have struggled vs the Marlins, but still

It's the Marlins

Marlins have good starting pitching, and the Phillies rely on eating bullpens alive, which is why they have so many comeback wins (that, and the bullpen blowing leads).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Marlins are going to toast the Phillies and it will be cool and funny

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I think it would be cool if the Brewers won the world series

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Red posted:

Marlins have good starting pitching, and the Phillies rely on eating bullpens alive, which is why they have so many comeback wins (that, and the bullpen blowing leads).
Yeah unfortunately the Marlins’ two best starters are shut down (Sandy and Eury Perez).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

All it took was a pandemic season where 16 teams made the playoffs for the Marlins to lose a postseason series

And they still beat the Cubs that year

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hot Diggity! posted:

get him outta here!!!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

get him outta here!!!

The Braves or Dodgers will

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

What's the best streaming package for all playoff games?

Actually it looks like YouTubeTV is fine because there are no playoff games on MLB network.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm watching the 1982 World Series on youtube right now, it rules, sorry about the Brewers though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And they still beat the Cubs that year
As God intended

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Braves or Dodgers will

Doesn't matter to me who y'all pick to lose to the Astros, though the Dodgers would objectively be funnier.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah unfortunately the Marlins’ two best starters are shut down (Sandy and Eury Perez).

The Phillies got owned by guys like Tylor Megill this year, Marlins' starters just have to get to the 7th or 8th inning.

Phillies starters, as a custom, give up early leads.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My "nobody is reading this poo poo" list

The "never won before" automatic top group. Sorry, GOMESers - the Brewers are up this high only for that reason and the Pilots connection would make me insist that Seattle kinda actually did win a world series if you squint stupidly enough.
Rays
Brewers
Rangers

Hell yeah, 1983 rematch. I was rooting for the Wheeze Kids hard, but nope. 11 year old me was sad.
Phillies
Orioles

Yeah, whatever. Jays have cool players,
Blue Jays

The "stop making immaculate grids so hard" group.
Diamondbacks
Marlins

I really don't want to hear about it at work and I hope the streak goes on forever.
Twins

Don't care / Won too recently / Racist poo poo can't overcome how rad the players are.
Dodgers
Braves
Astros

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think in these turbulent and uncertain times, people need something they can count on, and that's another Houston Astros championship

My second choice is nobody, if Houston gets bounced I hope everyone in the league dies.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I think in these turbulent and uncertain times, people need something they can count on, and that's another Houston Astros championship

My second choice is nobody, if Houston gets bounced I hope everyone in the league dies.

This is the correct take, though I'll add that if the Astros can't win then I go with whatever team will make the most people mad/maximum chaos option.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

This is the correct take, though I'll add that if the Astros can't win then I go with whatever team will make the most people mad/maximum chaos option.

Ah, the Yankees

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Ah, the Yankees

I'd rather end baseball as a concept than root for the Yankees, so you got me there.

e: good thing the Yankees are keeping baseball safe by staying out of the post season.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

I really don't want to hear about it at work and I hope the streak goes on forever.
Twins

what in the world

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

It's been thirty years since the playoffs didn't have the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cardinals, and all I can say is "it's about drat time"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The Astros are the defending champs, everyone loves them, they have Jose Altuve - everyone's favorite player - what's not to love????

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m being greedy wanting the O’s to win because I got to enjoy the Nats’ WS four years ago, but my general rooting hierarchy is for a team who has never won or is in a very long drought. Baseball is awesome and usually heartbreaking and everyone here should get to experience the joy of a season where that doesn’t happen once in their adulthoods.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Go, in the following order:
  1. Phillies
  2. Twins
  3. Orioles
  4. Blue Jays
  5. Diamondbacks
  6. Rays
  7. Rangers
  8. Dodgers
  9. Braves
  10. Marlins
  11. Astros
  12. Brewers

You're weird.

Royals fans have to stretch to find a reason to root for/against teams this time of year:

1. Brewers - I guess? They're the least hatable team in the field
  2. Rays - when they win it makes Yankee fans mad and that's funny
  3. Phillies - hard to root against a team of all DHs
  4. Twins - AL Central loyalty cancelled out by gently caress Correa Forever
  5. Orioles - Still a few hard feelings after they talked poo poo against the Royals during the playoffs (but then we swept them so that was funny)
  6. Diamondbacks - meh
  7. Braves - Yay Nicky Lopez barely outweighs my general gently caress the Barves attitude
  8. Blue Jays - gently caress Whit Merrifield. Also they used to brawl with KC every year back in the mid 80s
  9. Rangers - gently caress Texas
  10. Dodgers - gently caress the Dodgers
  11. Marlins - WTF go away no one wants you here
  12. Astros - obviously

Exodor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 2, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Exodor posted:

Brewers - I guess? They're the least hatable team in the field

Mods?!!??!??

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I made a chart of all the playoff teams' regular season records against each other:

Apologies to people with red/green color vision deficiency :v:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Brewers are innocuous enough as a franchise but they’re unwatchable with Counsell at the helm and I hope they are swiftly dispatched.

Rays are probably the most overall hateable team in the field this year

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Actually you know what, “hateable” is always kind of a cop out. I’ll just say flat out that I, as an individual, hate the Rays more than any other team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Brewers will go out quickly and quietly like they always do. The baseball gods are dead and the NLCS will be Marlins/Dodgers-or-Braves

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Brewers ended the year with a 93 OPS+, they're probably the most one-sided team in the playoffs.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The Orioles are also acceptable since they're just the baby Astros with all of Lunhow's disciples in the FO.

Mike Elias built a super team with the Astros and left right after they lost the 2018 ALCS.

I guess this applies to the Brewers too, but Stearns left before it got good.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 2, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sab0921 posted:

The Astros are the defending champs everyone loves them, they have Jose Altuve - everyone's favorite player - what's not to love????

citation needed

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The source is me. Everything he said has been verified by multiple people and is therefore factual.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No one in this set really moves me either way besides the Astros and Braves. And I mean as much as I don’t like the Braves if they won it would be well earned. I tell myself I don’t like the Diamondbacks but I don’t really care. I tell myself I do like the Dodgers but I don’t really care. I have no ill feelings to Tampa Bay as long as my team isn’t playing in that stadium. So yeah. I dunno. No Astros but everyone else whatever.

Edit: I guess I sorta dislike Toronto? But I didn’t even think about it so it’s clearly not that much.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 2, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Current status of the Dodgers 2023 IP leaders:

Clayton Kershaw - 131.2 - unspecified shoulder issue and acute case of old-body-itis. Game 1 starter.
Bobby Miller - 124.1 - rookie
Julio Urias - 117.1 - arrested for felony DV
Tony Gonsolin - 103.0 - TJS
Michael Grove - 69 - rookie with a 6+ ERA and negative WAR
Brusdar Graterol - 67.1 - somehow sporting a 1.20 ERA with just 6.4 K/9 out of the bullpen
Lance Lynn - 64 - 2.3 HR/9

The Dodgers will attempt to survive the October gauntlet with only 2 starting pitchers. Instead of peak Scherzer/Strasburg, or Johnson/Schilling, they'll use the dying husk of Kershaw and a 24 year old rookie.

Feeling great about October, what could possibly go wrong??

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2023

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

The Blue Jays should own my complaining rear end by winning the whole thing imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

let's go the freaking orioles dude