Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm curious to see if people have any houses in their neighborhoods who are consistently decorated, or really go all out. There's always those houses that really put the effort in, and it's awesome seeing them. It's 10/1 as of this writing, so people aren't putting anything up in my area yet, but I want to start this thread with one of my favorite gimmicks, the 10 foot lawn dragon:

Dragons are cool and everything but I'm not exactly sure what they have to do with halloween. Maybe they're like the guardians of the candy dimension or smth, idfk

This is also a great place to post your Spirit Superstore finds and your trick-or-treater setups if you decorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Following for the 12ft home depot skeletons

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My wife has, for the past year, insisted that any present that people get her is a halloween inflatable. She's got six so far. Couple this with my obtaining outdoor cabling and IP-rated boxes, and our garden is going to be pretty busy. This is all on the condition that she's the one who answers the door to trick or treaters because I'm a grumpy poo poo who can't be bothered. I'll try and remember to post a picture once they're erected.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

The_Doctor posted:

Following for the 12ft home depot skeletons

I covered mine in UV reactive spray paint and bought some outdoor black lights

It doesn’t photograph well but it looks great in person

Bonus photo from when it snowed last October

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Deadite posted:

Oh! He looks amazing and I love the tiny ones inside!

I need to see if someone near me has their big display up again. Last year they had some 12-15 foot wraith thing peering over the top of their house. :allears:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Deadite posted:

Next year you should set it up with the little ones driving the big one like it’s a megazord.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Next year you should set it up with the little ones driving the big one like it’s a megazord.

This year I have some little one-foot skeletons that I painted orange and I’m hot gluing then to the big skeleton like they’re crawling on it.

I also got some real glow in the dark skeletons from Michaels to really give the display some pop at night.

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
If you're super lazy, or just want to feel more natural/authentic, move out to the middle of nowhere*! My yard and driveway have been consistently spooky for most of my life thanks to creepy dirt roads, rotting fences, leafless trees, etc. Most of my neighbors have skulls up year round, too!

Coyotes, elk, and whatever THAT noise was make decent soundtracks all season! Ravens are ever present. Bats are common most nights, vultures during the day. Glowing eyes of every height as soon as it gets dark~ The hulking shadow lurking behind the car? Might be a bear, might be a cow. :shrug: If it's a cow, there's probably 5-10 more nearby. I don't think I've come back without misc bones any time I've gone hiking. :)

*don't actually do this if you can avoid it, poo poo sucks in every other way

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah when you're going hiking it's a good rule of thumb to make sure you return with the same amount or more bones than you started with, never less

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gf insisted we decorate the yard and also that i do a bunch of lighting and i accidentally got way into it

still a bit more to do (the witches need their cauldron) but im happy so far

bonus spooky moon was out shot

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 3, 2023

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Deadite posted:

This year I have some little one-foot skeletons that I painted orange and I’m hot gluing then to the big skeleton like they’re crawling on it.

I also got some real glow in the dark skeletons from Michaels to really give the display some pop at night.

hell yeah.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The best are the giant skeleton folks who leave them up all year and just dress them for each holiday.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fellatio del Toro posted:

(the witches need their cauldron)

you better get them a cauldron before they decide to make their own

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My display is up for this year

Now to wait for the sun to go down to fine tune the lights

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

gf insisted we decorate the yard and also that i do a bunch of lighting and i accidentally got way into it

Yo, this looks fuckin' great. Nice lighting setup. How much did this run you?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Waffle House posted:

Yo, this looks fuckin' great. Nice lighting setup. How much did this run you?

thanks!

the lighting was some cheapo kit on amazon, like $150 for 12 lights, plus maybe $50 of low voltage outdoor wiring. they claim to be waterproof but the tap splices it came with definitely arent. stays unplugged unless its dry, still dont expect it to last long

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

This rules. Can you please briefly explain how you placed the lights to get that effect?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Someone in our neighborhood did this awesome skeleton movie theater setup last year

----------------

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

This rules. Can you please briefly explain how you placed the lights to get that effect?

uhh it's just a dozen rbg spotlights scattered around in kind of a semicircle. left side is mostly green and right side is mostly purple. there's a couple pointed up at the trees. one by the guys coming out of the ground is red I thought it would look like they're coming up from hell or something idk

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHo0-OKj_OQ

T-Square
May 14, 2009

There’s a house nearby that always does something different every year involving a bunch of skeletons. Last year he set up a skeleton strip club with a dance stage around the flagpole in his front yard complete with bikini clad skeletons giving lap dances to skeletons sitting around the stage, it ruled

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

T-Square posted:

There’s a house nearby that always does something different every year involving a bunch of skeletons. Last year he set up a skeleton strip club with a dance stage around the flagpole in his front yard complete with bikini clad skeletons giving lap dances to skeletons sitting around the stage, it ruled

Was it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1E3_wH6dOM

Their HOA sent them a cease & desist letter, lol
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/skeleton-strip-club-display-halloween_n_5f9bdbb2c5b6f4683ced64bb

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Enfys posted:

you better get them a cauldron before they decide to make their own

update:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

drat these are amazing... it's always been my dream to do elaborate skeleton scenes in my yard, hoping to take inspiration from this thread and get on it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That's so spooky and cool :swoon:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Waffle House posted:

Dragons are cool and everything but I'm not exactly sure what they have to do with halloween. Maybe they're like the guardians of the candy dimension or smth, idfk

There's a house near me with a halloween dragon and I thought the same thing, but it does look cool so gently caress it.

This is cool as poo poo, looks awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffle House posted:

I'm pretty sure it was because Game Of Thrones was super popular and everyone was trying to jump on the $$$$$$ bandwagon. Home Depot also sold a huge Halloween dragon with built-in fog machine for dragon breath:

There's also lots and lots of Christmas-themed inflatable dragons which makes even less sense

:capitalism:

I wish I had one of those Home Depot dinosaur skeletons, even though they're woefully anatomically inaccurate

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

To be fair terrible skeleton anatomy is par for the course. I will try to remember to take photos of the skeletal birds with skeletal feathers at a local grocer next time I go.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

aniviron posted:

To be fair terrible skeleton anatomy is par for the course. I will try to remember to take photos of the skeletal birds with skeletal feathers at a local grocer next time I go.

My favourites are the skeletal invertebrates

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Across from the elementary school in town someone has set up a loving rad giant skeletal reaper. I really need to get some pics before someone complains and gets it taken down. The last time I passed by they had a piping setup behind in so I am hoping for some smoke effects.

There is also a spotlight on a Virgin Mary statue down the street that is pretty creepy, but I don't know if it is intentional or not.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I was walking my dogs yesterday and saw this

----------------

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We get a decent amount of trick or treaters every year, so my wife and I go pretty nuts with our yard. 2021 was probably my favorite so far; I built the well from The Ring and hid inside of there dressed as Sadako (or Samara, depending on your taste) and would either hop out and jumpscare kids or crawl around the yard. We dressed up two skeletons, set up a little table scene, and built a fake TV out of a box, some clear plastic, and a strobe light. It ended up looking really good, especially at night, and I ended up making one teenager freak out in front of a bunch of girls he was trying to act cool around.

We also point our movie projector at an upstairs window and play one of the Ghost FX videos, so it looks like a bunch of ghosts keep appearing and disappearing in the window. Add in some fake tombstones, some skeleton animals, and a fog machine and I think we end up with a pretty cool display.

I wanted a 12 foot skeleton when they first came out but a house nearby got one and it'd feel petty to put one in one. They do a good job with it anyway, this year it's holding a severed head and red twinkling lights are hanging down from it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
the houses in our neighborhood who normally go extravagant are quiet this year. their neighbor who seemingly got into it to one-up them however

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I finished my display for the year. I don't have a very big lawn so it had to be pretty compact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G81KnVDxNPA

I have another glow-in-the-dark skeleton that I'm turning into a puppet, so on halloween I can blend in with the other skeletons and startle the trick-or-treaters. It's going to be a lot of fun

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

hell yeah

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Regarding the poor skeleton anatomy talk from earlier:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My wife has, for the past year, insisted that any present that people get her is a halloween inflatable. She's got six so far. Couple this with my obtaining outdoor cabling and IP-rated boxes, and our garden is going to be pretty busy. This is all on the condition that she's the one who answers the door to trick or treaters because I'm a grumpy poo poo who can't be bothered. I'll try and remember to post a picture once they're erected.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That's awesome!

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
My wife is recovering from surgery so I was on my own for decorating this year. Downside of that was I had to keep it simple. Upside is there was nobody to tell me I shouldn’t park the jeep on the house.

People have been really funny. It’s become something of an attraction in the neighborhood. There was a line for pictures the other day.