Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

R.D. Mangles posted:

So far has focused on acquiring defensive players, hiring a defensive coach, and assembling the worst defense in football for the second year in a row.

I have a quibble with this statement alone as the Broncos have the absolute worst defense in football history right now. Hell, they allowed the bears to score 28 points on them effortlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Android Apocalypse posted:

I can only picture the Bears getting a quality QB via free agency and that's by throwing Deshaun Watson-level money at them.

I remember being super excited for Jay Cutler for this very reason. Sure, the Bears can't develop a stud QB, so importing a young pro bowler seemed like a can't miss!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm not saying they are the same caliber of player or comparing their abilities, but the Justin Fields situation makes me think about how loving fast Lamar's career could've went sideways if he wasn't drafted by the right team(s)

Would Mahomes be the only current great/young QB who even the Bears wouldn't be able to have ruined? I'm not 100% sure even about him, let alone the others

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 2, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I didn't watch them yesterday but other than the two turnovers by Fields the offensive numbers look really good. They got the ball to their playmakers and Fields did not have that many running (read: scrambling for his loving life) attempts. Offense clicking or just bad defense?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

This thread will be closed on Thursday night when the Bears beat the Commanders. Till then get your posts out all you want.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gorson posted:

I didn't watch them yesterday but other than the two turnovers by Fields the offensive numbers look really good. They got the ball to their playmakers and Fields did not have that many running (read: scrambling for his loving life) attempts. Offense clicking or just bad defense?

The Bears played like cowards in the second half.

They took the ball out of Fields' hands until the last few drives. Then after they had played coward-ball and let them back into to the game. Then Bad playcalling led to a Fumble-Six, and then Justin and Kmet had a miscommunication which led to a game ending pick.

Fields was good that game.

Just absolute coaching malpractice to end the game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Gorson posted:

Offense clicking or just bad defense?

the Broncos defense has been bad this season in a historical way, so that contributed a lot, yes

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

tadashi posted:

I thought Justin Fields' thing was also not throwing the ball when he should throw the ball?

Oh sure that's part of it. It's impossible to say whether or not that's because he can't see it at all, because he can't see it fast enough, or because he can see it and doesn't trust the dude running the route, either because dudes are constantly running the wrong routes, or making the wrong decisions or a different read. The interception at the end of the game being an example of that. Kmet has his guy beat across the field, but chose to sit down. Fault probably goes on the QB there but it's a miscommunication either way, shouldn't happen.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mystic Stylez posted:

Would Mahomes be the only current great/young QB who even the Bears wouldn't be able to have ruined? I'm not 100% sure even about him, let alone the others

The Bears would have more than likely ruined Mahomes.

He would have gone to a team coached by John Fox with something called “Dowell Loggains” as OC and Houston Texans legend Dave Ragone as QB Coach. I’m not assuming any of them would have done remotely near as good a job as the people he ended up with in Kansas City. They’d have put him in a bad offense way too quickly, and while I’m sure some of Mahomes insane physically ability would shine through, maybe most of it, the situation in Chicago could have easily reinforced all his worst habits as he tried to throw to Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy and dump it to Tarik Cohen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BrownThunder posted:

This thread will be closed on Thursday night when the Bears beat the Commanders. Till then get your posts out all you want.

Washington is 2-2. The Bears just lost at home to the previously winless Broncos (who Washington already beat). Bears will lose by 10.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Bears suck so much poo poo that it's much funnier than it is sad at this point.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Bears suck so much poo poo that it's much funnier than it is sad at this point.

Yeah, at this point my view of this season is basically

Bird in a Blender posted:

I want to be a part of history. I want to see this team be the first to go 0-17. I want Virginia to live long enough to see this team become the official laughingstock of the NFL. Just all out embarrassment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The most interesting thing about the Bears woes, as an outside observer, is the amount of organizational dysfunction happening around the Bears franchise as they continue to lose games on the field. You have a new stadium deal up in the air, a former assistant coach who may or may not have been the subject of a federal raid, coaches telling players to just stay home from games.

That 2008 Lions team was a lifetime ago but I don't remember nearly as much off-field turmoil from that season, beyond Bill Ford Jr using the local news to call out both Matt Millen as his dad for doing a lovely job. Hell, I think that season also had the fleecing of Dallas for Roy Williams Jr so it's not like it was all doom and gloom.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The stadium stuff is whatever, that's gonna get done.

That bullshit is just normal poo poo that happens when a team is trying to get favorable tax deals.

The DC did some freakbul poo poo apparently and got told to resign.

outside of the DC this is just how all Bears regimes in dysfunction end from emery trestman to Nagy Pace.

Head coach completely losing the team and being weird and incompetent on their way out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I long for the steady hand and quiet professionalism of Marc Trestman.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

R.D. Mangles posted:

I long for the steady hand and quiet professionalism of Marc Trestman.

Quiet professionalism = no music in the locker room

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Let's make history

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/OptaSTATS/status/1708565098917408843

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Do you think we’ll ever figure out what happened with the Bears DC and his raided house? Or is the NFL just gonna memory hole that?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apples McGrind posted:

Do you think we’ll ever figure out what happened with the Bears DC and his raided house? Or is the NFL just gonna memory hole that?

Has anyone other than the Tanktop Doofus said anything about the house raid? Because I'll wait to hear from an actual reporter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i choose to believe it's true because it's way funnier

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Goms. Lmao. Bitch

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

why do the bears like having WRs block so much even though they're not good at it. i get it chase claypool looks like he should be good at blocking, but he's not, so....

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Doctor Teeth posted:

why do the bears like having WRs block so much even though they're not good at it. i get it chase claypool looks like he should be good at blocking, but he's not, so....

Why do the Bears do anything that they do? :iiam:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Bears need to adopt my True/False test strategy. I try to figure out which answer makes the most sense. I think logically and critically until I'm certain I've come up with the correct answer. Then I write down the opposite answer because I know I'm always wrong. 100% success rate.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Redeye Flight posted:

The longest losing streak in the NFL is held by the Cardinals, which should surprise absolutely no-one, racking up 29 consecutive losses between 1942 and 1945. This one doesn't get talked about as much for fairly evident reasons -- while the Cardinals have always been bad, there were extenuating circumstances between '42 and '45 that kind of drew the attention of all the actual football talent, and this stretch includes games lost when merged with the Steelers as the Card-Pitt "Carpitts".

One thing I’ve never learned about this time period: How were there even enough guys left to play at all? How did anyone avoid being selected for the 1942 NFL Europe Draft?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/1708887696578580753

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Do Poles and Eberflus even talk??

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vengarr posted:

One thing I’ve never learned about this time period: How were there even enough guys left to play at all? How did anyone avoid being selected for the 1942 NFL Europe Draft?

There were a lot of valid draft deferment categories that existed that were pretty common. If you were married and had a kid before September 15, 1942, you were classified as having a dependent and received a deferment.

I looked up the Steagles roster and several players (unsurprisingly for the time) had medical exceptions that disqualified them from military service. But a deaf guy (the team's center) can still play football. The punter only had one leg, which also makes for a poor soldier, unless you are literally General Santa Ana?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

R.D. Mangles posted:

RYAN POLES

Hired as GM in 2022, Poles came from the Chiefs. He is 38 years old and this is his first job running anything in football. In year 1, he executed a complete tear-down, trading defensive stars Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith for draft picks. Thanks to Lovie Smith, he secured the #1 pick in the draft, trading it to Carolina for their pick, their #1 pick this year, and receiver DJ Moore. He also traded the Bears' own pick for WR Chase Claypool who is currently exiled from the team for being a malcontent. So far has focused on acquiring defensive players, hiring a defensive coach, and assembling the worst defense in football for the second year in a row.

Thanks for this writeup. Does this guy have any qualifications at all? Is he just a guy who played Draft Day Sports on Steam

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He did scouting and player personnel roles for the Chiefs since 2009.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Sash! posted:

There were a lot of valid draft deferment categories that existed that were pretty common. If you were married and had a kid before September 15, 1942, you were classified as having a dependent and received a deferment.

I looked up the Steagles roster and several players (unsurprisingly for the time) had medical exceptions that disqualified them from military service. But a deaf guy (the team's center) can still play football. The punter only had one leg, which also makes for a poor soldier, unless you are literally General Santa Ana?

A drummer with one arm, I can and have pictured in my mind (thanks Def Leppard). But how do you punt with only one leg? Do you just fall cheeks onto the ground after every punt?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Roquan Smith's Ravens Contract: 5 year, $100mm ($20mm/y), $60mm gtd

Tremaine Edmunds Bears Contract: 4 year, $72mm ($18mm/y), $50mm gtd

King Poles hemmed and hawed over giving Roquan 20 mil a year for a year and a half during his All-Pro season (he was the only clear and vocal leader of the defense after Poles also shipped off Mack and Quinn, and I have personally watched and enjoyed him since we drafted him at 8 overall), and chose to let him leave only to turn around and pay 90% of that to Tremaine Edmunds, who is not having an All-Pro season, and it looks like Roquan is playing just as well this year so far.

Good teams don't let elite players who are playing at an elite level leave. They don't tank either.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poles made sense to me at the time, I was moderately hopeful since he was coming from a team that seemed to be good at evaluating talent. He's done a pretty crap job at managing who to sign though. Like the post above about Roquan. Yea he got a guy for cheaper, but he also got a guy who is nowhere close to Roquan's talent. It's like he doesn't grasp what the market is for guys I guess, or maybe who to prioritize. That maybe Eberflus's fault too though since he seems to prefer LB's, when like every other team out there is prioritizing the line.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah Eberflus being dire is the only reason why I'd be willing to even consider keeping Poles.

As I do generally think Poles is good at the future planning and not being reckless part of being a GM.

He'd have to have a hell of a story and a hell of a succession plan, and reason why his players were failed by coaching.

But I do generally like to give GMs more than 2 years.

Especially when the GM was given a list of 3 coaches to hire from Bill Polian.

He clearly picked poorly but that situation was so hosed.

But not gonna cry if he's poo poo canned.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dexo posted:

Especially when the GM was given a list of 3 coaches to hire from Bill Polian.

I've heard this a number of times but never heard who the other two people were on the list, has anybody?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I've heard this a number of times but never heard who the other two people were on the list, has anybody?

The list I have seen is Jim Caldwell, Dan Quinn(who took himself out) and Eberflus.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anderson Koopa posted:

A drummer with one arm, I can and have pictured in my mind (thanks Def Leppard). But how do you punt with only one leg? Do you just fall cheeks onto the ground after every punt?

He had an artificial leg, but I can't find any source describing which he kicked with

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

He had an artificial leg, but I can't find any source describing which he kicked with

The new market efficiency is punters with titanium legs and feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Definitely this

I was a bit shellshocked in week 1 but by week 3 I wanted comedic failure