Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GNU Order posted:

Roquan Smith's Ravens Contract: 5 year, $100mm ($20mm/y), $60mm gtd

Tremaine Edmunds Bears Contract: 4 year, $72mm ($18mm/y), $50mm gtd

King Poles hemmed and hawed over giving Roquan 20 mil a year for a year and a half during his All-Pro season (he was the only clear and vocal leader of the defense after Poles also shipped off Mack and Quinn, and I have personally watched and enjoyed him since we drafted him at 8 overall), and chose to let him leave only to turn around and pay 90% of that to Tremaine Edmunds, who is not having an All-Pro season, and it looks like Roquan is playing just as well this year so far.

Good teams don't let elite players who are playing at an elite level leave. They don't tank either.

Edmunds might be real good, just a notch below Roquan, and we would never know it with this scheme and coaching. What a season this is turning into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Da Bears

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I don't even know if this is the right thread for this since I assume most people are just here to go "lol Bears" when Fields throws an INT

BUT

Another pet peeve I have with Poles is that he's revealed himself to be a "RAS Guy" which I am deeply skeptical of. There were one or two outliers in his first draft but it seems pretty obvious that the strategy is "draft/sign Extremely Athletic dudes and just throw them in the system and coach them up" which 1. doesn't really work when your coaches stink, and 2. is made even harder when you do things like draft a 2 gapper DT and ask him to 1 gap (Gervon Dexter) or draft a press man dog and ask him to run around in a zone for 5 or more seconds (Tyrique Stevenson).

There's obviously a correlation between being a very good athlete and being a very good football player, but this is a big contributor to why Poles picks have been struggling so much, most of them are playing out of position or being asked to do things they may not be great at

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm sure most or all teams have some version of this but my team does analytics by assigning everybody a Madden score

Who's that C. Claypool guy, his madden score is really big, he must be a great player. Let's trade pick #33 in the draft for him

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
In the vast and storied tapestry of the NFL, where teams rise and fall like the fickle tides of destiny, the Chicago Bears seem to be trapped in a perpetual tempest of misfortune. It's as if they're Sisyphus, condemned for eternity to push a weighty boulder up a mountain, only to watch it roll back down just as the summit looms tantalizingly close.

Each game unfolds like a tragic opera, a poignant ballet of futility. The players, valiant warriors that they are, pour their very souls onto the field, sweat glistening in the stadium lights, only to be met with the relentless, crushing embrace of disappointment. The wind of Soldier Field, once a testament to their indomitable spirit, now seems to whisper tales of missed opportunities and dreams forever deferred.

The football, which should be an instrument of victory, often turns treacherous in their hands, like a quill that drips not ink, but tears. Their plays, once designed to dazzle and dominate, now seem to be mere cries into the void, echoing back only the haunting refrain of "What might have been."

The fervent roars of their loyal fans have become mournful dirges, lamenting a season that promised much, but has delivered naught but endless nights of despair. Each Sunday becomes a Groundhog Day of hope, where the dawn promises a fresh start, but the dusk only brings a familiar pang of heartbreak.

In the grand theatre of the NFL, where legends are born and dynasties crowned, the Chicago Bears, this season, appear to be lost souls, wandering aimlessly, searching for a glimmer of hope in a landscape shrouded in an ever-deepening gloom.

Yet, in the face of this abyss of sorrow, one cannot help but admire the resilience of the human spirit. For the Bears continue to strive, to battle, and to hope, a beacon for all who believe that, even in the darkest of times, the flame of hope, though dim, never truly goes out.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GNU Order posted:

I'm sure most or all teams have some version of this but my team does analytics by assigning everybody a Madden score

Who's that C. Claypool guy, his madden score is really big, he must be a great player. Let's trade pick #33 in the draft for him

huh who could that v jones guy be, also

but yeah bears, please lose out so our senile owner and her family of idiots feel the pressure to fire everyone instead of trying to keep the GM around to spend more draft capital on athletic players who suck at playing football

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m sure this point has already been made but the Bears played too well through ~3 quarters yesterday to make me think they won't luck into at least one win

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

indigi posted:

I’m sure this point has already been made but the Bears played too well through ~3 quarters yesterday to make me think they won't luck into at least one win

At the same time it also makes it clear how razor thin their margin of error is. Apparently they need to play perfectly to win rather than really drat good.

Edit: On offense at least.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishing with the fam posted:

At the same time it also makes it clear how razor thin their margin of error is. Apparently they need to play perfectly to win rather than really drat good.

Edit: On offense at least.

28 points wins a lot of games, except when you've given up a historic number of points

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, why have they not promoted any interm DC?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

King Poles hemmed and hawed over giving Roquan 20 mil a year for a year and a half during his All-Pro season (he was the only clear and vocal leader of the defense after Poles also shipped off Mack and Quinn, and I have personally watched and enjoyed him since we drafted him at 8 overall), and chose to let him leave only to turn around and pay 90% of that to Tremaine Edmunds, who is not having an All-Pro season, and it looks like Roquan is playing just as well this year so far.

Good teams don't let elite players who are playing at an elite level leave. They don't tank either.

The Roquan move made sense if you feel that off-the-ball linebackers are not worth huge contracts. Trade him for picks and then allocate that money for higher value positions. It made zero sense to trade him and then sign a much worse linebacker for nearly the same money guaranteed.

He's just a GM who was not ready for the job. Getting fleeced in trades, bombing out in drafts, and not understanding the free agent market.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Especially when the GM was given a list of 3 coaches to hire from Bill Polian.

I don't know why this keeps getting brought up. Poles and Eberflus were a package deal. The McCaskeys handed the decisions over to Trace Armstrong who is the agent for both. Poles knew Eberflus well. Polian wanted Caldwell to be the coach.

We can blame the McCaskeys for letting an agent lead their search for a GM and head coach, but this idea that Poles was handed a guy he didn't want is wrong. Poles clearly found Eberflus suitable since he's made almost every decision around the scheme they want to run here.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nervous posted:

In the vast and storied tapestry of the NFL, where teams rise and fall like the fickle tides of destiny, the Chicago Bears seem to be trapped in a perpetual tempest of misfortune. It's as if they're Sisyphus, condemned for eternity to push a weighty boulder up a mountain, only to watch it roll back down just as the summit looms tantalizingly close.

Each game unfolds like a tragic opera, a poignant ballet of futility. The players, valiant warriors that they are, pour their very souls onto the field, sweat glistening in the stadium lights, only to be met with the relentless, crushing embrace of disappointment. The wind of Soldier Field, once a testament to their indomitable spirit, now seems to whisper tales of missed opportunities and dreams forever deferred.

The football, which should be an instrument of victory, often turns treacherous in their hands, like a quill that drips not ink, but tears. Their plays, once designed to dazzle and dominate, now seem to be mere cries into the void, echoing back only the haunting refrain of "What might have been."

The fervent roars of their loyal fans have become mournful dirges, lamenting a season that promised much, but has delivered naught but endless nights of despair. Each Sunday becomes a Groundhog Day of hope, where the dawn promises a fresh start, but the dusk only brings a familiar pang of heartbreak.

In the grand theatre of the NFL, where legends are born and dynasties crowned, the Chicago Bears, this season, appear to be lost souls, wandering aimlessly, searching for a glimmer of hope in a landscape shrouded in an ever-deepening gloom.

Yet, in the face of this abyss of sorrow, one cannot help but admire the resilience of the human spirit. For the Bears continue to strive, to battle, and to hope, a beacon for all who believe that, even in the darkest of times, the flame of hope, though dim, never truly goes out.

:same:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
::Puts on Bill Simmons Dunce cap::

Fields to Patriots for a 3rd and a 7th before the deadline. Who says no?

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 3, 2023

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

GNU Order posted:

the thing about Roquan that makes it even more baffling to get rid of him is that, aside from his playmaking and communication skills on the field, which are obviously special, he instantly turned into one of the most liked teammates on the Ravens roster and probably their second leader behind Lamar Jackson. just the complete package of a player. maybe he was acting up on the Bears because he wanted his contract (I didn't pay much attention to that storyline), but he seems like such a great guy to have in your locker room to boot.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

GNU Order posted:

it brings balance to the universe that they are the same rare athletic freaks with top made up stats from the same college playing the same position and they both suck beyond imagination:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

trevorreznik posted:

Edmunds might be real good, just a notch below Roquan, and we would never know it with this scheme and coaching. What a season this is turning into.

Oooh I got some really bad news.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wow, claypool has been benched 9.12 times

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GNU Order posted:

I don't even know if this is the right thread for this since I assume most people are just here to go "lol Bears" when Fields throws an INT

BUT

Another pet peeve I have with Poles is that he's revealed himself to be a "RAS Guy" which I am deeply skeptical of. There were one or two outliers in his first draft but it seems pretty obvious that the strategy is "draft/sign Extremely Athletic dudes and just throw them in the system and coach them up" which 1. doesn't really work when your coaches stink, and 2. is made even harder when you do things like draft a 2 gapper DT and ask him to 1 gap (Gervon Dexter) or draft a press man dog and ask him to run around in a zone for 5 or more seconds (Tyrique Stevenson).

There's obviously a correlation between being a very good athlete and being a very good football player, but this is a big contributor to why Poles picks have been struggling so much, most of them are playing out of position or being asked to do things they may not be great at

The Benefit of this, is that when he fires Flus this offseason, if he keeps his job somehow that maybe his next coach will figure out how to use them lol.

the Stevenson and Dexter stuff is whatever. Those dudes are dudes I liked coming out, as options for the Bears

It just means it takes some time(and also Stevenson has been fine outside of getting rooked from time to time by like Mike Evans)

The thing about his drafting is that like it's still generally too early, as like it's generally 3 years to judge a draft class.

First Draft:

first 4 rounds
Brisker, I like
Gordon: TBD, Injured, but has looked much better end of last year going into this year.
Velus: lmao

bullshit and hope you find a dude rounds
Braxton: solid fringe starter
dom rob: developmental
Carter: developmental and has shown some promise at guard.
Hicks, backup FS, not great, but also a 7th round pick.
also a punter or something

Second Draft:
Real Rounds:
Wright: Been playing pretty well, making rookie Mistakes but generally I like him
Dexter, Pickens: Incomplete, Dexter has had some flashes from the tape that I've watched. But they've been put in the worst possible situation for any DT to improve wrt having no help anywhere else on the defensive line to make their jobs easier.
Tyrique, I've liked what I've seen, whole lotta rookie poo poo he needs to clean up, but like him
Roschon/Scott, Like what I've seen when they've been on the field, would like to see them on the field more.

luck of the draw rounds
Noah Sewell, I've actually seen him flash a couple of times, but doesn't get much playing time on defense
Terrell Smith, is playing now that JJ is hurt, I still need to watch this most recent game, no real thoughts
Travis Bell practice squad

Niwrad posted:

I don't know why this keeps getting brought up. Poles and Eberflus were a package deal. The McCaskeys handed the decisions over to Trace Armstrong who is the agent for both. Poles knew Eberflus well. Polian wanted Caldwell to be the coach.

We can blame the McCaskeys for letting an agent lead their search for a GM and head coach, but this idea that Poles was handed a guy he didn't want is wrong. Poles clearly found Eberflus suitable since he's made almost every decision around the scheme they want to run here.

Because it is factually what happened?

I never said Polian made the final decision.

But the factual series of events was.

Polian, George and the team ran all the interviews they had a set of finalist coaches. before settling on Poles as the GM. The Coach finalists were pretty much all reported out before Poles was announced as the hire.

They then gave Poles their notes from all their coaching interviews. It came out that Eberflus was one of the people on Poles shortlist anyway. So Poles probably would have ended up picking Eberflus anyway.

But the process was completely hosed from the start.

As even if it was a fait accompli that he was going to pick Eberflus, they gave him absolutely no chance to actually do his own head coaching interviews. He was hired, and given their notes, and had these dudes as the options unless he was going to hold his own series of interviews. While everyone else was theoretically hiring coaches.

This isn't meant to even be some grand defense of Poles, I'm fine with him getting fired.

But my main problem with that entire thing was the loving process that led to him being hired. where you had Polian and George handling coaching interviews that your loving GM who was going to be running football operations was not personally in on.

At the end of the day it's on Poles because he made the decision. But I don't know how you can not at least say the process that lead to the coaching hire was hosed.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 3, 2023

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I watched every game of the Lions 0-16 season, and I honestly don't think that the Bears are bad enough to do it.

Just look at this mess: https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/team/schedule?name=det&season=2008. Just pick any game for a tale of misery - for example in game 2 they came back from 21-0 to tie the game at 24, and then let the packers score 24 unanswered points. They were helpless, but even that wasn't enough, they still needed incredibly bad circumstances at the exact right/wrong moment.

But by all means prove me wrong.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

captainblastum posted:

I watched every game of the Lions 0-16 season, and I honestly don't think that the Bears are bad enough to do it.

Just look at this mess: https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/team/schedule?name=det&season=2008. Just pick any game for a tale of misery - for example in game 2 they came back from 21-0 to tie the game at 24, and then let the packers score 24 unanswered points. They were helpless, but even that wasn't enough, they still needed incredibly bad circumstances at the exact right/wrong moment.

But by all means prove me wrong.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Right but in that game, the 2008 Lions are the Broncos, and they still lose 31-52.

e: Also Fields deserves so much better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

nothing quite like the chicago media when they know a coach is fired as gently caress, and just decide to go in

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1709013951801905288

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mystic Stylez posted:

the thing about Roquan that makes it even more baffling to get rid of him is that, aside from his playmaking and communication skills on the field, which are obviously special, he instantly turned into one of the most liked teammates on the Ravens roster and probably their second leader behind Lamar Jackson. just the complete package of a player. maybe he was acting up on the Bears because he wanted his contract (I didn't pay much attention to that storyline), but he seems like such a great guy to have in your locker room to boot.

He seemed like he genuinely wanted to stay here but apparently they were trying to screw him on the contract. I think Roquan’s absolutely worth it, they were apparently only a couple million apart, and this team was scraping the salary floor at the time lol. Put the spreadsheets away and just pay him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

He seemed like he genuinely wanted to stay here but apparently they were trying to screw him on the contract. I think Roquan’s absolutely worth it, they were apparently only a couple million apart, and this team was scraping the salary floor at the time lol. Put the spreadsheets away and just pay him.

They weren't trying to screw him, but yeah, they didn't want to pay him that much, and they ended up getting edmunds and edwards for roughly the same price.

I was cool with those two signings as I think they are theoretically a better fit for the 4-3 Cover 2.

It was the whole like not getting a defensive line and trusting replacement level players and rookies to fufill the critical part of the cover 2 which is getting pressure with 4 down lineman.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

saving the date in week 10

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

The new market efficiency is punters with titanium legs and feet.

Sadly, the rules explicitly forbid converting your leg into a golf club after Tom Dempsey's horse hoof sledgehammer.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

e: wrong thred ya dumby

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr_Strangelove posted:

e: wrong thred ya dumby

Keep posting Ls in the bears thread, imo

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Dexo posted:

But my main problem with that entire thing was the loving process that led to him being hired. where you had Polian and George handling coaching interviews that your loving GM who was going to be running football operations was not personally in on.

Worked for the Lions, somehow.

edit: In fairness to you, I thought it was going to be a loving trainwreck when we did it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh it can work, just like anything can work. I just hate the process.

If your Owners/leadership aren't football people then they should hire whoever the gently caress the football person is going to be, and then let them interview and hire the coach.

At the very least, at least the Bears didn't have to pay their suspect QB, after a stretch of him playing out of his mind(still not very good) for a single year after being disappointing and trash for the entirety of his rookie deal otherwise.

the Giants this year is like what would have happened if Mitch's contract had to be negotiated after 2018 lol.

Extremely lucky, and a QB playing out of his mind before teams can spend the offseason dissecting how to stop the smoke and mirrors that Daboll put up to protect Daniel Jones.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 3, 2023

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Mystic Stylez posted:

it brings balance to the universe that they are the same rare athletic freaks with top made up stats from the same college playing the same position and they both suck beyond imagination:

Its been fun to watch teams learn that the only thing better then being a athletic freak in the NFL is actually knowing how to play football

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My one hope for the future of the Bears is that the next coaching search won't be lead by a guy who's One Million Years Old who the organization put all their trust in because George McCaskey pulled out an encyclopedia to find one of the leading football minds of the day

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Q_res posted:

Worked for the Lions, somehow.

edit: In fairness to you, I thought it was going to be a loving trainwreck when we did it.

I think it mainly worked because, for the first time in franchise history, the team ownership actually had a clear idea of what they wanted the team to be, and what kind of people they would need to make that happen. This article from 2021 goes into detail, but the team was very deliberate in searching for candidates that fit the very specific culture they were trying to build - people who were energetic, collaborative, and shared the ownership's vision for what the team should become. It's a very different process from what's been done before in Detroit, and I think it worked because they were deliberately trying to bring together men that had very complimentary personalities that worked well together, and not just going "well Ernie Acorsi thinks this guy looks good so let's just do that."

Also the hiring of Chris Spielman really can't be underrated either, his connections and expertise contributed greatly to the success of the rebuild, especially in the initial stages.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dexo posted:

nothing quite like the chicago media when they know a coach is fired as gently caress, and just decide to go in

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1709013951801905288

lol that he just kept trying to dissemble through them instead of answering the first one with a 10 second brush-off and then not taking anything unrelated to Thursday's game, or Sunday's performance

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The entire Bears organization is people in over their heads. Maybe the people holding the water bottles know what they're doing, but I don't know about anyone else.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The whole organization seems ridiculously, thoroughly hopeless.

I believe in 0-17

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I really didn't believe 0-17 was possible until Sunday's game. Their offense played about as perfectly as I think they are capable of against the worst defense in the league. And they still lost. To not win a game all season takes a special level of finding ways to lose. And they went above and beyond to find a way to lose on Sunday. This team might be special.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I watched the Broncos-Commanders game, the Bears are gonna get smoked Thursday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Thursday games are clownball.

Anyone can win one of those games.

but yeah if they don't win this one. their next realistically winnable game is Raiders, and after that it's Carolina.

Obviously football is dumb. But like the Bears utterly crushed the Broncos that past game, and they lost because they decided to stop playing offense, until they let things get close again.

Any team can get got on a bad day though.