Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I feel bad for his children. I wish he could have found a way back to being a good person, and be there for his children. Its just profoundly sad. Ive let the hate go.

I concentrate my hatred on cops and the ruling class. And people who like Tex-Mex and Sushiritos.

another :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chinatown posted:

I feel bad for his children. I wish he could have found a way back to being a good person, and be there for his children. Its just profoundly sad. Ive let the hate go.

I concentrate my hatred on cops and the ruling class.

:same:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who was in Awful Fantasy should be permabanned imo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

rich evans, taken too soon

or perhaps not soon enough

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Thread is an energy vampire

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am protected.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chinatown posted:

don't think he was ever a good person op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redshirt posted:

Dearly Beloved, we have gathered here today
to get through this thing called life....

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The mods have opened a forum for more memorials to Richard. You can find it here

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Peggy Edson posted:

yea he covered up his terribleness with cynicism and misanthropy which.. huh.

Guess he was pretending to be awful in certain ways in order to conceal being awful in other ways?

Dunno what message to take away here. There probably is one though!

I do feel really bad for his kids though, hopefully they never discover these forums and start posting here that seems like it could get really awkward.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Peggy Edson posted:

well, i mean, he was a mod so i guess youre right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Evans? He's still alive last i checked

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chinatown posted:

I concentrate my hatred on cops and the ruling class. And people who like Tex-Mex and Sushiritos.

another :69snypa:

there is nothing wrong with tex mex you DILDO

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
OP, you should make a post about his demise in the In Memoriam thread in SAD.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

one time zdr permabanned me because he is a little
bitch and then lady ambien got lowtax to reverse it and then shortly before lowtax left the website he banned me for shitposting, anyways, bye

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sid Vicious posted:

one time zdr permabanned me because he is a little
bitch and then lady ambien got lowtax to reverse it and then shortly before lowtax left the website he banned me for shitposting, anyways, bye

Reading this tickled me sides it did

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
One evening he DMed me out of the blue. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I asked him. He said that I had wished him happy birthday, and he read it and decided to say Hi. This was something like 7 months after his birthday.

I'm guessing he was really bored, finally checked his messages, and randomly picked me. We messaged back and forth occasionally for the rest of the evening. It became clear that he wanted to interact with someone, but had no real reason to talk with me. It was pretty awkward. Kinda like strangers at a bar, but without the backup of alcohol.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i used to talk to him on messenger about our kids and what being a dad is like and its sad

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Seems only fair that there be some kind of permanent monument to lowtax. Even if he was a lovely person, this site was something that he started and somehow managed to keep going even in spite of himself at times.

There are plenty of lovely people who had an impact on the world in some way and they get statues and monuments.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I never talked to him after I met him in Vegas in 2004 and actively avoided interacting with him here because he rubbed me the wrong way

Rad-daddio posted:

Seems only fair that there be some kind of permanent monument to lowtax. Even if he was a lovely person, this site was something that he started and somehow managed to keep going even in spite of himself at times.

yeah it's this website

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Seems like 2004 was the turning point. When did QCS get launched again?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

it should be the front page that way nobody will see it but it would exist

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

re: rich "rich" "lowtax" kyanka:

gently caress that oval office imo

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Its almost been twenty years since Richard melted down about mangosteens

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
oldgoons itt

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

TheBuilder posted:

oldgoons itt

All these forums used to be orange groves...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I hope his kids are okay. I think Lauren had a falling out with him like a year before his death, after learning more about him and his actions. His exes and kids all deserve to have happy lives and I don't think anyone expected this sort of outcome. Even though there was bad blood, I'm sure there's a lot of trauma to sort through after his death, and I wish them the best in working through it.

I always thought Lowtax was really intimidating and though I laughed at a lot of his posts and media contributions, I never saw him as anyone I would want to be friends with. All of what we learned in his last years really enforced this.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm surprised this hasn't been scrubbed by imgur yet.

Moderator note from CaptainSarcastic: spoilering the quote since it contains suicide-themed imagery.
:nms:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 7, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Still weirded out by his suicide, not that a suicide (aside from Hitler’s) ever sat right with me. Him being another catholic with brain worms made me sympathetic to him and I felt like there could have been an outcome where he quietly receded from the internet after being run off from it and maybe started getting his life together and seeking help. I’ve only ever talked to him a few times on FB Messenger and he seemed pretty miserable.

The last few Gaming Garbages (or whatever they were called) that I watched were kind of cringey, like him trying to cling onto relevance again. Maybe he was always like that, dunno him as much as other people itt have.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Its almost been twenty years since Richard melted down about mangosteens

I still think of him every time I see Mangosteen at the grocery...

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Are they still collecting for his kids, or was that a one and done campaign? I donated :10bux:, which is what I could afford at the time.

Indiana
Feb 28, 2003
We named the dog Indiana!
This thread made me reminiscent. I've been married to the same goon for 21 years now. Have an amazing son who is 17 now and Lowtax fucken ate a bullet. Fair trade.

Piss off.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
lol no gently caress that guy

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Hopefully he's sucking cocks in hell

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Triikan posted:

Are they still collecting for his kids, or was that a one and done campaign? I donated :10bux:, which is what I could afford at the time.
The Go Fund Me is still up, but looks like it hasn't been touched for a while. I would assume they can still get anything sent though.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-a-friend-in-hiding

Friggybum
Jun 12, 2001

SO FRESH. SO KLEEN.
Wow.

I found this thread googling for gooncon photos. Sup isnoop, how goes? <3

I know Rich ended up being a discarded garbage person and that mirthfully dunking on his demise is de rigeur here.

He still is somehow responsible for an insane number of positive, long-lasting social connections by way of making this [IMHO largely neurodivergent, perhaps the earliest and largest such] space to corral weirdos and give them a creative and social outlet.

I'm still friends with [twice permabanned, lol] happyfish, GeekyGirl, and a bunch of nmp3s/btb filez dorks. Nmp3s has died but other post-BTB spaces live on, incredibly [and we're trying to put nmp3s back together in a modern context, hmu if you care to help/know more]

I am extremely grateful for the connections that sprang from this place.

I met Rich at Gooncon and again when Integral threw him a surprise party at Chuck E. Cheese and Sulzanti and I flew out to Seattle to take part in the surprise story [we had "extra tokens" we wanted to get rid of real quick, insanely obvious and dumb and he knew before we went in what was about to go down]. He was, in the nerdiest way possible, magnanimous and generous with his time and energy. Exposing himself to the level of outright goonery was always a mixed bag and he honestly mostly handled the insane weirdness well.

Violence towards women is flat out inexcusable, and I'm sad that he let himself deteriorate like he did.

I have come to really believe in redemption and compassion and I don't think people killing themselves is ever anything but a loss.

I hope his victims are able to heal and his children have some ability to see their dad as more complex than purely evil [even if only in a historical sense, recognizing that none of his 'good work' comes anywhere near to erasing the bad].

RIP Lowtax.

p.s. iSnoop can I get those gooncon photos? lol :D

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

buglord posted:

Him being another catholic with brain worms made me sympathetic to hi

Lol he was catholic? I never stop learning about this man.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Friggybum posted:

p.s. iSnoop can I get those gooncon photos? lol :D

2nding this. I would be extremely interested in seeing the Gooncon '04 pics.

EDIT

:lol: we should do a 20 year reunion next year

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

buglord posted:

Still weirded out by his suicide, not that a suicide (aside from Hitler’s) ever sat right with me. Him being another catholic with brain worms made me sympathetic to him and I felt like there could have been an outcome where he quietly receded from the internet after being run off from it and maybe started getting his life together and seeking help. I’ve only ever talked to him a few times on FB Messenger and he seemed pretty miserable.

Had a family member go out in the same way as Lowtax, one of the gifts he's likely given his children is intrusive thoughts of how he did it. I am sometimes going about my life and then suddenly, totally randomly, I'm there and imagining the moment they pulled the trigger. It's....not fun.

If you gotta go out, do pills or something, jfc. No one should have to live with this, especially not those you love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember lowtax messaging me on FB when the yikesaroo went down whining that he was cancelled. Someone after he died mentioned that they found out he would message lots of women. I didn't know anything about what was going on because I had been taking a break from the forums at the time. I sympathized with him even if I didn't empathize at all. Then soon I read the thread and I didn't really talk to him after that. It was all just pretty pathetic by the end and I stopped watching his stream when it got that way.

I do feel bad for his children. Suicide is also hard for me because I've lost someone who was close to me. It happened a little over a year before lowtax so I was definitely still grieving. I only really considered him an acquaintance but I still feel like it affected me somewhat.

I remember one time on Facebook we started talking and I let him know that his video game streams were helping me cheer up during a really rough time. This was in 2018. He told me something about feeling depressed and like everyone was against him so I told him he should get therapy or counseling. He claimed he didn't have the money for it but we saw how he spent his money. I think he was afraid to open up.

Is no one remembering the thread where fragmaster announced his death? I feel like that was kind of a memorial thread but it got real weird when one of his diehard friends showed up and talked about eating cum or something? I know it involved cum. Anyway I have no clue how to search for it maybe searching for fragmaster posts? I don't think he actually posts anymore that I know of so it would probably be the most recent.

Edit... I realized you didn't want to read about it you just wanted somewhere to talk about it. Well we're here for you buddy.

Dixville fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 4, 2023