Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We do have five clean sheets in the PL and the second lowest number of goals conceded which seems alright to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

Incredible that a guy who was a huge part of a title-winning midfield became so poo poo that after Chelsea released him he went 15 months without finding another club before announcing his retirement. I guess it was all just Kante's coattails the whole time

iirc it's basically an open secret that he had specific issues that basically made him not good enough to be a top-level footballer in 2023

there's a "shouldadrunkwater" joke in there but you can find it yourself

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

We do have five clean sheets in the PL and the second lowest number of goals conceded which seems alright to me

That's more because Saliba and Gabriel are the best centerback pairing in the world and Rice is the best dm in the world

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

and Timber is coming back when his knee is fixed

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

FullLeatherJacket posted:

iirc it's basically an open secret that he had specific issues that basically made him not good enough to be a top-level footballer in 2023

Vaxxed???

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sticksy posted:

Vaxxed???

made the autism noise and everything

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

That's more because Saliba and Gabriel are the best centerback pairing in the world and Rice is the best dm in the world

White should be in the England squad but Southgate apparently is Mad (don’t tell anyone he’s mad!!), he’s a starter when fit and slid from center-back to right back easily; Tomiyasu got unlucky with the knee injury last year but is an excellent defender and can play anywhere across the back four. I think his first foray at left back last year was to keep Salah in his pocket last year.

Lokonga is the only one of the four that wouldn’t be in Arteta’s match-day squad if fit. Four out of five getting into your 18-23 man squad is real good! And again, it’s not about how all the players turned out, it’s Neville seeing the age profiles and going “I don’t know what they’re doing :rolleyes:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ben White might get more looks if he didn't have sad brains and leave the loving World Cup

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shrapnig posted:

Ben White might get more looks if he didn't have sad brains and leave the loving World Cup

stfu

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I thought White’s “personal reasons” were less sad brains and more that he called Steve Holland a twat?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

skasion posted:

I thought White’s “personal reasons” were less sad brains and more that he called Steve Holland a twat?

Being a big time Charlie when you're the 5th choice right back at the World Cup seems pretty mentally weak to me

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shrapnig posted:

Being a big time Charlie when you're the 5th choice right back at the World Cup seems pretty mentally weak to me

That's not the same as sad brains, though.
:goonsay:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I don't think Southgate comically underrating one of his best defenders is the burn you think it is

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Word is White fell out with Foden and then maybe some of the England coaching staff. To be honest I’m okay with all that since that just means he gets to skip all the dumb international games.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Southgate looks down very badly on anyone who pulls out of a squad for any reason. Like Pope has been pretty poo poo this season but he pulled out at the end of last season due to needing hand surgery and its rumoured to have pissed southgate off

this on top of his massive favouritism for poo poo players regardless of if they're even getting playing time for their club

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose posted:

this on top of his massive favouritism for poo poo players regardless of if they're even getting playing time for their club

Or in the latest squad, if they even play football in a non-joke league any more.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

wooger posted:

Or in the latest squad, if they even play football in a non-joke league any more.

The Bundesliga isn't that bad

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Word is White fell out with Foden and then maybe some of the England coaching staff. To be honest I’m okay with all that since that just means he gets to skip all the dumb international games.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard what it was, it just makes it funny when Southgate has to wheel out second-best options while Ben White spends his international breaks looking more and more like Hulk Hogan.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wicka posted:

I don't think Southgate comically underrating one of his best defenders is the burn you think it is

The thing is he doesn't play enough at CB to warrant a shot there over Maguire/Stones/Guehi/Dunk and rightback is probably the strongest position England has with Walker/Trippier/Trent.

I think he slightly gets overrated, he doesn't contribute offensively that much and defensively he is decent but he also has Saka in front of him. Saka's backtracking is actually insane, I know he started off as a fullback/wingback but he still does it today. It's definitely the case of a decent player being on a amazing team and looking much better than he is.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Ulio posted:

...Maguire...

I agree with your point overall, but let's not get carried away.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A decade of Hector Bellerin has broken the Arsenal supporter perception of good right backs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ulio posted:

The thing is he doesn't play enough at CB to warrant a shot there over Maguire/Stones/Guehi/Dunk and rightback is probably the strongest position England has with Walker/Trippier/Trent.

I think he slightly gets overrated, he doesn't contribute offensively that much and defensively he is decent but he also has Saka in front of him. Saka's backtracking is actually insane, I know he started off as a fullback/wingback but he still does it today. It's definitely the case of a decent player being on a amazing team and looking much better than he is.

White is so good going forward that Saka is noticeably worse when he's not there

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

Jose posted:

Is this favouritism an issue if these poo poo players consistently play well for England + play in positions that don't have any good alternatives?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

it has been canonically established that Garth Crooks should pick an England team of 11 players who've never met before and who only a suit a very specific formation which England don't play, based on how good they did that week in a League Cup game against Port Vale

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
alfie devine is gonna be class, mind

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wicka posted:

White is so good going forward that Saka is noticeably worse when he's not there

Could be it's not Ben White being that good but whoever replaces him being really bad. Who is Arsenal 2nd rightback? Tomiyasu seems to play way more on the left and the only other player I remember in RB is Partey when for some reason Arteta decided to bench Gabriel and play White as CB.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Cedric Soares?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't really get the desperate need to make Ben White sound as bad as possible in defense of...Gareth Southgate?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

in this house arsenal are bad and their players should feel bad

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FullLeatherJacket posted:

their players should feel bad

Isn't that why he went home

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ben White reads this thread, I think

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He was definitely looking at his phone or something

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

Could be it's not Ben White being that good but whoever replaces him being really bad. Who is Arsenal 2nd rightback? Tomiyasu seems to play way more on the left and the only other player I remember in RB is Partey when for some reason Arteta decided to bench Gabriel and play White as CB.

Two years ago it was Tomiyasu at RB and White at CB most of the season. Partey did that when everyone was broken last spring, or when Arteta was on one early this season. Tomiyasu should be second there now, but that’s true also for CB and LB. We’ll see where Timber lines up.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Just remembered pooshited signed Antony for 100 million lol

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

mila kunis posted:

Just remembered pooshited signed Antony for 100 million lol

I remember pooshited fans being very angry when I said it was dumb.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I can't believe Badchester Pooshited spent one hundred and twenty million pounds on Antony

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He's probably on Januzaj wages times 3 as well. You love to see it.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Liverpool play Man U on the 17th of December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Ten hag has made his eredevisie mates a lot of money. Now to get sacked and collect a payout for a job well done