Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Reese’s Outrageous bars, which are like Nutrageous with the nuts replaced with Reese’s Pieces, are extremely good. Trolli Sour Brite Octopuses may be the best sour candy.

Around Halloween though? Give me your whoppers. Malted milk rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
when i was a kid my favorite halloween candy was sixlets but i tried them again like 8 years ago and they were just chalky disgusting garbage, is this just rose colored glasses about candy or they change the candy at some point

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i like the candy corns and other shapes but they have to be mixed with other stuff or taken in small doses, responsibly. some of them have chocolate bits.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Circle Nine posted:

when i was a kid my favorite halloween candy was sixlets but i tried them again like 8 years ago and they were just chalky disgusting garbage, is this just rose colored glasses about candy or they change the candy at some point

never had em op.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

big deal posted:

i like the candy corns and other shapes but they have to be mixed with other stuff or taken in small doses, responsibly. some of them have chocolate bits.

I cannot stand candy corn, and my wife was convinced that I would like the chocolate candy corns, as they are "so much better." Nope. I wish I liked them the way other people do

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

most people don't like them much, I think. I mean they're widely considered one of the blander, less popular candies.

i remembered i wanted to bring up those strawberry candies though. you know the ones in the strawberry wrappers. never seen a name for em.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

big deal posted:

i remembered i wanted to bring up those strawberry candies though. you know the ones in the strawberry wrappers. never seen a name for em.

mmmm. i love these!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what are they called. where do they come from. do only hispanic grandmas know?

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

I was curious about the ubiquitous strawberry grandma candies which took me here:

some well-researched rando posted:

“If you remember the Depression, if you remember the shortages, you had bowls out, and they were there for anybody to take all they wanted,” Benjamin says. “Grandmothers carried candies in their purses, and if you had a sore throat, a bad taste in your mouth or an upset stomach, out came the candy.”

Kimmerle adds, “They were appealing because they could throw them in a dish, and they practically never expired. The house visit was also common, and any good hostess had empty ashtrays and filled candy bowls. Besides the perceived medicinal boost, candy was a great post-smoking/drinking breath freshener.”
per https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/why-did-our-grandmas-have-an-endless-supply-of-strawberry-hard-candy

Learning poo poo about my grandmother in the Halloween candy thread

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They’re probably only sold by medical supply shops, or orthopedic shoe stores

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I think candy corn should be a Thanksgiving candy instead of a Halloween candy, corn is much more a thanksgiving thing

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Candy corn is much better when it's fresh and soft, but usually it's hard and bland by the time it gets to people.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

SlinkyMink posted:

As a kid my mom bought me and my brother a box of Warheads from Costco and we ate the ENTIRE box (must've been like 5 bags of each flavor in the entire box) in like a week. My mouth was literally bleeding by the end and has never been the same to this day. My days of binging sugar flavored battery acid are over, but man I still raid the Sour Patch and lemonheads whenever I can get them.

My mom did the same, except my sister didn’t want them and thus I had no one to share with. Can confirm on the tongue bleeding thing, also I think I remember having the skin on my tongue falling off like a week later.

My go to sour candy these days is Haribo’s sour s’ghetti. More often than not I just want some dark chocolate instead which I used to not like as a kid

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Haribo is interesting to me because their gummi bears have the best fruit flavor imo, but the gummies themselves are super tough and actually make my jaw hurt chewing them.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Haribo rules. I can make myself absolutely sick eating gummy bears and love every minute of it

e:

Annath posted:

Haribo is interesting to me because their gummi bears have the best fruit flavor imo, but the gummies themselves are super tough and actually make my jaw hurt chewing them.

This is true though, sometimes they are TMJ inducing

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

This is a Snickers appreciation post. It's not the newest or flashiest candy by any means, but it's a drat good candy bar that I'm always happy to eat. The workhorse of Halloween candy buckets.

----------------

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm also a sicko that loves Raisinetes

I had a history teacher in high school that loved these. Used the giant bags as a bribe to get out of class for extracurricular stuff a couple times.

SlinkyMink posted:

As a kid my mom bought me and my brother a box of Warheads from Costco and we ate the ENTIRE box (must've been like 5 bags of each flavor in the entire box) in like a week. My mouth was literally bleeding by the end and has never been the same to this day. My days of binging sugar flavored battery acid are over, but man I still raid the Sour Patch and lemonheads whenever I can get them.

Mine got "Warheads" and "Air Heads" mixed up once, and bought me the former when I wanted the latter. My tongue wasn't fully evolved yet so I had to do the old "wash off the sour covering" trick to get to the lemony goodness.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lisztless posted:

Haribo rules. I can make myself absolutely sick eating gummy bears and love every minute of it

e:

This is true though, sometimes they are TMJ inducing

I had pretty significant jaw surgery a little over 10 years ago (my jaw and face is full of metal now) and the Haribo gummies make my jaw ache something fierce.

Still eat them though. They have *the* best flavor.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Riatsala posted:

This is a Snickers appreciation post. It's not the newest or flashiest candy by any means, but it's a drat good candy bar that I'm always happy to eat. The workhorse of Halloween candy buckets.

The gold standard of candy bars. Milky Way, get on Snickers' level

I'll also accept Butterfinger but you've really gotta enjoy getting that weird toffee film on your teeth and I don't always want that

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Annath posted:

Happy and Fizzy Cola is my go-to Haribo gummies. Gotta let them dissolve in the mouth a little bit before you start chewing, though, I agree.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Does anyone know of a good salmiakki analog attainable in the states? I loving hate licorice but a Swedish friend of mine brought me over some years ago and I couldn't stop eating those things. I have no idea why or how, but it was enjoyable in the most oddly masochistic way I've ever felt eating something. I don't think I LIKED them, per se, but I remember thinking, "why can't I stop eating this poo poo?"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SlinkyMink posted:

Does anyone know of a good salmiakki analog attainable in the states? I loving hate licorice but a Swedish friend of mine brought me over some years ago and I couldn't stop eating those things. I have no idea why or how, but it was enjoyable in the most oddly masochistic way I've ever felt eating something. I don't think I LIKED them, per se, but I remember thinking, "why can't I stop eating this poo poo?"

You got World Market in your area? They stock salted licorice and many other kinds.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

SlinkyMink posted:

You can order the real stuff: https://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Salty-Licorice-c43.htm

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SlinkyMink posted:

I’ve never tried it but maybe the stuff at ikea?

Speaking of ikea they had a pear gummy candy that was white and pink in a green bag and I’ve not seen it in months idk if it’s supply chain issues or they discontinued it or it’s seasonal but that poo poo was good

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Oh, poo poo. Not really close to a World Market but I'm gonna be placing an online order now. Thanks!

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Circle Nine posted:

I'm a candy snob and I won't apologize about it.

handing these out on halloween and watching kids toss them in the bushes as they walk away

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SlinkyMink posted:

Oh, poo poo. Not really close to a World Market but I'm gonna be placing an online order now. Thanks!

:tipshat:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
y'all ever had Cow Tales

those are my favorite

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

A family member brought back black licorice flavored chocolate bars from Iceland. My #1 candy/chocolate to date.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Cow Tails and Charleston Chews

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Speaking of licorice, if you're like me and are kind of unimpressed by Twizzlers but otherwise like the flavor, I highly recommend picking up Australian licorice. I don't know what the difference is but it tastes dramatically better and is often easier to chew, almost a Swedish Fish consistency. Would be my favorite candy if my beloved Nerds Rope didn't exist

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
As far as gummies go, Haribo Star mix is the best. Little bit of everything.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

caramel creams all the way

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Most of Lofty Pursuits' stuff is good, but their fizzy stuff like the Lime Sour is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcE0Nxd0gg

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Annath posted:

i get their big watermelon strips and yeah

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

world market talk reminds me of those japanese? gummies, dont remember what theyre called but theyre hella soft and delicious.

also like these haribos. theyre too sweet but i cant stop eating them when i have them

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
reese's pieces

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Butterfinger BBs loving ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Worst candy are those halloween toffees in the orange warppers. I dunno if they are just a Canadian thing but they are the wooooorst. Molasses only has one use, being turned into rum

Weak rear end defense from someone in Alberta
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/in-defense-kerrs-molasses-kisses-1.3824498