Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say that you get both the ability to traverse the map and modify the map in pretty staggering ways as you progress the plot.

E: Specifically and least spoilery, a lot of high places will have umbrella mushroom patches at the top, if you gather one of the fruits you can hold it and it will function to keep the sun off and also let you float down. Climbing high places is actually a traversal method.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah basically anything smaller than a tree you can shift.
And for trees you can eventually craft a bracelet that lets you strong enough to move even them!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

also turned the fall damage way down and am considering turning it off because I am really not in the mood to manually climb down from hills that I already spent the time climbing up
Keep an eye out on top of towers and tall cliffs you might find mushrooms you can use as tools to glide down. You might need to splash some water on them to get them fully grown, but you can pick their roots up and bring them back to your base to grow more. They do degrade, but only while you're using them. They're good for shade in the sun too. (A loading screen hint tells you most of this, so I don't think it's a spoiler.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Talorat posted:

Happy to report that despite it not being documented anywhere, it plays PERFECTLY on Steamdeck, although I may need to adjust some settings to improve battery life.

Thanks for taking one for the team! It’s on the wishlist for when I get around to it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I want to craft out my initial garden and kind of start really getting into different plants, upgrading the water, building little bridges and fences…

What’s a good spot to progress to in the story before I go off and do my own thing? I’m thinking doing the Earth God because Naia mentioned something that sounded like terraforming tools.

I feel like I’m at a spot that’s just a bit too early, having just made the Meadow and locked out of doing almost anything to really start to craft my little garden. Or do I just need to prioritize ghosts?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Both north and west will give you very useful tools but I would say north if you want to delve into developing your patch, west if you want to explore more.

Ghosts give you some extremely useful equipment but the plot directions give you game changing ones. Honestly most development paths are cool in this but I would say the big plot steps are most significant by a good margin.

Importantly, to upgrade your springs you will need a certain amount of essence capacity, so you do need a certain amount of spiritual knowledge collected and/or scrolls read before you can max out your water supply.

Oh and because the game doesn't tell you, the scrolls you find from enemies with weird names that only list negative effects, please read them because they give you important perks.

Oh and a second tip which is what I actually came to post: jesus christ do not plant sunburst bushes if you value your sanity, they spread like loving chlamydia and are just the worst height and size, they make areas thoroughly impossible to navigate.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and a second tip which is what I actually came to post: jesus christ do not plant sunburst bushes if you value your sanity, they spread like loving chlamydia and are just the worst height and size, they make areas thoroughly impossible to navigate.

But their seeds are so delicious! On that note, are there any cooking recipes in this game? Am I ever able to grind these grains into flour? It feels weird to be eating raw amaranth seeds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No you can't cook things, the closest equivalent is poultices and elixirs, oh and a buffing "tea" made of spindle tree flowers.

You can however cross breed your plants to make better cultivars, you can make amaranth grain pretty burly in the food department.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have found one cooking recipe: you can craft your own ancient cakes, but you need honey, which requires helping the earth god and I'm not sure how much you can really produce. I just unlocked it last night and I'm stuck at work so I haven't played around with it much.

I wish there were a way to process acorns into something less toxic. They were so rare early on that we planted a bunch of oak trees, and now we've got a whole basket full of the things rotting away 'cause there's nothing to do with them all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anything you don't want you can probably just compost, after a plant has been alive for a while it becomes "tired" and slows production and you need compost to undo it, you can also spread compost on the ground as an option on the item, which increases plant growth a lot, it's pretty much always useful for expanding the garden.

I do wish you could ask the frog to put stuff in the compost box.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well I *was* going to get to bed early. This is a lovely little game!

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
JUST in case anybody is as slow as me, when you get access to more advanced structures they don't always just show up on the (c)onstruction menu, for instance; when I hit (e) to interact on a storage basket, hit (v) to access the crafting menu and you can upgrade them! To things like bigger baskets, or preservation baskets. Not all structures require the second step, if you interact with a wall you go straight to the upgrade options.

Anyways it took me an embarrassingly long time to notice this so thought I'd share. Happy growing!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Eiba posted:

I have found one cooking recipe: you can craft your own ancient cakes, but you need honey, which requires helping the earth god and I'm not sure how much you can really produce. I just unlocked it last night and I'm stuck at work so I haven't played around with it much.

I wish there were a way to process acorns into something less toxic. They were so rare early on that we planted a bunch of oak trees, and now we've got a whole basket full of the things rotting away 'cause there's nothing to do with them all.

Speaking of, how can you reproduce honey? The earth god seemed to suggest there's some way to make a beehive or something? Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't found anything of the sort yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of, how can you reproduce honey? The earth god seemed to suggest there's some way to make a beehive or something? Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't found anything of the sort yet.

The bee sigils you get produce it, like a plant.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The bee sigils you get produce it, like a plant.

Oh duh, that makes perfect sense but I was so hesitant to spend any honey on stuff to experiment. Thanks!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is there a good way to get acorns? I seem to need dozens of the damned things. I've planted a few of them, but they take forever and three days to grow, even with spending essence speeding that up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You can dig them up near dead oaks sometimes. Other than that, patience - once your oak is grown it'll keep making new ones forever, and obviously you can cultivate more.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there a good way to get acorns? I seem to need dozens of the damned things. I've planted a few of them, but they take forever and three days to grow, even with spending essence speeding that up.

You can dig up more glowies around oaks in the desert, i guess.
But at least once those trees mature you're looking at double or triple acorn harvests per cycle.

And Seeds of Life can be made from any tree fruit/seed.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

The easiest way to get anything you need is to find an area with dead versions of what you’re looking for and digging it all up.

Also, I’m going to second OwlFancier and say that people should free Gleb in the canyons as soon as they can. Not only does he give you a tool that makes digging irrigation ditches nearly instant but he also gives you one that when placed in a garden auto-repairs your structures for no cost which feels like an immense time and resource saver.

Speaking of digging, I think I’ve figured out the unspoken rules in the game:
* a piece of ground can only have a certain amount of slope, so if you can’t dig downwards, you may need to lower nearby ground to keep the slope from being too steep
* objects on the ground, from giant trees and rocks to simple dune grass, prevent ground from being raised and lowered in a certain range around them. This, combined with the previous rule, is why sometimes you can’t dig downwards when it looks like you can - a plant nearby is preventing its lab from being lowered, which makes the slope too high for what you’re trying to lower.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Also, I’m going to second OwlFancier and say that people should free Gleb in the canyons as soon as they can. Not only does he give you a tool that makes digging irrigation ditches nearly instant but he also gives you one that when placed in a garden auto-repairs your structures for no cost which feels like an immense time and resource saver.

drat, and here I am going counter-clockwise around the island so I'm only now in the middle of freeing Gleb.

I just love mobility upgrades very much and thefinal flight upgrade needs seeds from the mountain... Soooo off I go!

Doing strafing runs on the outposts in the mountains did fast track upgrading all my tools from flint to starmetal from all the drops, too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I planted like four acorns when I was in a situation like yours.

Now I've got baskets overflowing with rotting acorns because I have so many.

If you've planted your trees, just wait. Work on other stuff if you're bottlenecked by acorns. If you desperately need one or too, yeah, you can dig up old ones by old trees.

skeleton warrior posted:

Yes, but on the other hand if you head to the salt flats instead of the canyons you get motherfucking flight. Or close to it. It made exploring everything else so much easier.

Basically go up to the canyons if you want help base building, go down to the salt flats if you want help exploring. Those are the only two places I've explored so far, but I think those are the basic two paths to chose after the very start of the game.

As a side note I like how much character everything has. I've been thinking of this as a solid management game/life sim, but it's also a pretty solid atmospheric Breath of the Wild type game. It has the same wistful feel to the world, and what dialog you get from what characters there are are good at reinforcing that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't understand how your acorns are rotting when you need 10 of them and 3 lifeseeds to make that restoration thing and you seem to need one per spring. I'm on the mountain and still hurting for acorns; I can't grow them fast enough.

Speaking of, when you are given a free one to test out, this is after you give away 3 lifeseeds for research, IMO a good place to use it is the spring just west of your starting area - it's filled with dead oak trees.

I did Gleb first and wish I didn't because there's so much travel/distance/exploration needed and you're taking damage the entire time. The wind god is much, much faster and straightforward to do and all you really need is the upgraded mirror, so I highly recommend heading to the salt flats.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 4, 2023

Griz
May 21, 2001

the mirror's reflect ability also applies to fall damage, as i accidentally discovered by falling off a cliff and mashing all the buttons

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
pangolin where

i have multiple treats for the guy, i built him a burrow in my garden, and i can't find him to recruit him

pangolin where

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

pangolin where

i have multiple treats for the guy, i built him a burrow in my garden, and i can't find him to recruit him

pangolin where

On the default world I noticed a pangolin burrow right next to the very first wraith outpost you destroy after breaking the seal/bubble that makes the completion of the tutorial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah i have one sitting right toward the beach but i click it and i have no options

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

This game reminds me of the biodeck from Startopia, it's very good.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah i have one sitting right toward the beach but i click it and i have no options

I had the same problem, I forget what happened to fix it.
I think I needed a skill upgrade?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There should be a pangolin inside that is separately interactable to the burrow, it's quite easy to miss.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

When it's nearby the pangolin should be on the map. You can mark it to show up on your compass and it'll be pretty easy to find.

Same for other animal friends. Spirit darters hide away during the day though.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Vando posted:

There should be a pangolin inside that is separately interactable to the burrow, it's quite easy to miss.

Ohhhhh this must be my problem. What does the pangolin do anyways?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Talorat posted:

Ohhhhh this must be my problem. What does the pangolin do anyways?

If you give it treats it will go and find minerals for you.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

There is something weird going on with wellstones. I had a path of them coming out from my main oasis creating a nice river feeding into a lake that I was developing the shore of. I then created and placed some additional wellstones from a different spring. I had alot of trouble placing those (initially not being able to place at all, then when I was able to place them most of them gave the "No spring in range" even though they appeared to be within the circle I got them from.) After a few fast travels, the newly placed stones started spewing water, but my initially placed ones were no longer producing water and gave the "no spring in range" message. Fully quit the game and reloaded and then all stones appeared to be working, at least for now. Be warned, friends!

I went salt flats before canyons. The movement upgrade is initially very good, but upgrading it fully makes it exponentially better. Dreamswimming around through the sky is all I want to do.

edit: added picture

My main oasis is in the middle, currently a happy meadow. The green area on the left is the first spring I revived/developed and has become a swamp. The green on the right is also currently a meadow. You can see the small lake reforming in between the oasis and the rightside meadow, I remember it being larger before (I think it's still refilling as those wellstones are now working again.) If you look closely at the plateau between my oasis and the leftside swamp, you can see a bit of arable land and a wellstone. My plan was (is!) to flood the plateau and have a waterfall come off of it, feeding into the oxbow.

Bann fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 6, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bann posted:

There is something weird going on with wellstones. I had a path of them coming out from my main oasis creating a nice river feeding into a lake that I was developing the shore of. I then created and placed some additional wellstones from a different spring. I had alot of trouble placing those (initially not being able to place at all, then when I was able to place them most of them gave the "No spring in range" even though they appeared to be within the circle I got them from.) After a few fast travels, the newly placed stones started spewing water, but my initially placed ones were no longer producing water and gave the "no spring in range" message. Fully quit the game and reloaded and then all stones appeared to be working, at least for now. Be warned, friends!

I went salt flats before canyons. The movement upgrade is initially very good, but upgrading it fully makes it exponentially better. Dreamswimming around through the sky is all I want to do.

edit: added picture

My main oasis is in the middle, currently a happy meadow. The green area on the left is the first spring I revived/developed and has become a swamp. The green on the right is also currently a meadow. You can see the small lake reforming in between the oasis and the rightside meadow, I remember it being larger before (I think it's still refilling as those wellstones are now working again.) If you look closely at the plateau between my oasis and the leftside swamp, you can see a bit of arable land and a wellstone. My plan was (is!) to flood the plateau and have a waterfall come off of it, feeding into the oxbow.

Very nice! I'm gonna play more of this tonight. I love just seeing the wet soil spread out, I've only played maybe 90 mins or so and a lot of that was just bimbling around. I've turned a lot of the challenge down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do I need to keep dunegrass evenly spread through my garden, or can I continually move it to the edge?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe all plants will maintain soil quality as long as they're watered, dunegrass is just a small, fast growing option which does it quite well and will grow in desert. Trees will do the same thing by and large but you can't easily grow them in desert soil.

But sunburst, dunegrass, and to an extent thorntail will all contribute to soil viability.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So as long as I have the arable land decently densely planted with other things (amaranth) it won't turn back into sand.

I'm just getting past the point where I need to shove every seed directly into my gaping maw, so garden expansion should progress faster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It shouldn't do, I haven't tested it exhaustively but trees provide quite a lot of soil coverage, although you don't ideally want your amaranth growing under shade.

I would say amaranth is a great use for planters, which will maintain soil quality and if you enrich them, will maintain very good soil quality. And also you can pick up the planter with the plants in it and move it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What sort of things should I be tossing in the Compost bin with the bones? Plant fibre? Thorntail pods? I assume not seeds.

Just died for the first time trying to reach the third Arcane ghost so I can make a better mirror. Turns out they're a long way away across very unfriendly terrain.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Absolutely throw in seeds, anything whose quality has reduced to “spoiled” can go in the bin to become excellent fertilizer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally anything you don't need. Also I don't actually know if bones will compost? They don't on their own at least.

If you have enough of an organic thing you can compost it, so whatever you don't need right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got to play a bunch of this tonight and this game's great fun and hard to put down. It's a bit of a slow start but once I got the slide I started to see where it was going and before I knew it it was 1AM. :sweatdrop: