Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Having trouble with An Unlikely Partnership in the Salt
The first outpost had a shell thing to put berries in, but I can't find anything crab-related at the other three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Having trouble with An Unlikely Partnership in the Salt
The first outpost had a shell thing to put berries in, but I can't find anything crab-related at the other three

Look out for the outposts that shoot red meteors towards the temple on the plateau. Those have the shell to blow.

The others aren't related.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh drat, the mountain area is outright brutal. Not only do you have to deal with increased food consumption (similar to salt flats), but at certain altitudes you will occasionally lose significant chunks of health all at once. I was down to like 25%, opened up my bag to look for an elixir, and all of a sudden it just killed me dead.

Also yeah compost is a great trash bin. I got so many dang starburst and thorn pod seeds cluttering up my inventory that I just don't know where to put otherwise.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Oh drat, the mountain area is outright brutal. Not only do you have to deal with increased food consumption (similar to salt flats), but at certain altitudes you will occasionally lose significant chunks of health all at once. I was down to like 25%, opened up my bag to look for an elixir, and all of a sudden it just killed me dead.

You have a quickslot. It's a good idea to put a healing item in it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
was up at the farthest north mountains holding onto a cliff face trying to stabilize and died, sending my entire inventory including a bunch of valuable stuff into out of bounds water. that was a huge bummer

i saw the keep inventory on death checkbox but figured i’d try it default. mistake.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Is there a consistent source of acorns? Should I just be planting a bunch of trees? It seems like they're needed for a ton of stuff and I'm always out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth are y'all spending your acorns on? Other than life seeds which I don't use very often I can't think of anything that needs them and you can't really eat them (I mean you can but they're not good food)

Yeah just plant trees though, they will drop acorns quite readily so there should always be a few kicking around on the floor near your forests.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Every warp gate needs an acorn to activate, and Naia needs seventy of them for her stuff later on. It's definitely a good idea to plant a few oak trees - once they're full grown you'll be swimming in them.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Pro tip: Bring tainted talismans from the fire wraiths to Naia.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Every warp gate needs an acorn to activate, and Naia needs seventy of them for her stuff later on. It's definitely a good idea to plant a few oak trees - once they're full grown you'll be swimming in them.

Yeah, it's mostly warp gates. I planted one tree near the start but they take a while to mature.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
A couple questions

Is there a benefit to developing more wells than the starting one? It's convenient for having water in say the salt flats, but doesn't seem like it's worth trying to maintain multiple gardens when I can get everything from my first oasis

Is there gear that helps with the different regions, like something that stops the extra water loss in the salt flats? seems like there should be but the game is kinda short of explanation

Is there a good way to re-up on sandstone? I finally got a sandstorm last night after ten or so hours of play and can find it again, but I had a few hours where I was just out of sandstone and couldn't upgrade and wells or anything

Last, how do I kill the wraith outposts? I did one with a shell but then I just had waves of attacks and eventually I ran out of water and died. I'm not sure what else I was supposed to do, I killed a lot of wraiths but they kept spawning

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a stamina bar I'm not seeing for climbing or can you just climb forever as long as you have food/water?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Its a Rolex posted:

A couple questions

Is there a benefit to developing more wells than the starting one? It's convenient for having water in say the salt flats, but doesn't seem like it's worth trying to maintain multiple gardens when I can get everything from my first oasis

Is there gear that helps with the different regions, like something that stops the extra water loss in the salt flats? seems like there should be but the game is kinda short of explanation

Is there a good way to re-up on sandstone? I finally got a sandstorm last night after ten or so hours of play and can find it again, but I had a few hours where I was just out of sandstone and couldn't upgrade and wells or anything

Last, how do I kill the wraith outposts? I did one with a shell but then I just had waves of attacks and eventually I ran out of water and died. I'm not sure what else I was supposed to do, I killed a lot of wraiths but they kept spawning

Mostly aesthetics, you can build wherever you like but yeah I have been confining my efforts to the desert for convenience.

Yes, you get them when you return the first shard of an area to vidyas.

Sandstone is kind of a constant drag but if you complete the canyons you will get access to a way to get more of it, although that way doesn't replenish.

After you toot the horn you have to wait for the titan crab it summons to actually walk over to the outpost, which can take a long time depending on where the outpost and the crab are, just gotta keep at it, it can take 5-10 minutes if it's a long way away unfortunately.

I would suggest, if you haven't already, getting the first level of flask upgrade, it gives you a lot more water which is helpful for the salt flats, alternatively you want to stockpile food which replenishes water. Also do the outposts at night, the heat of the sun compounds the effect of the salt flats.

explosivo posted:

Is there a stamina bar I'm not seeing for climbing or can you just climb forever as long as you have food/water?

No stamina, climb forever.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Climbing drains your food faster, so if you're going to be doign a lot of it make sure you're well-stocked. And use Naia's flower, for your own sanity if nothing else.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! I just unlocked the flower and this is pretty rad.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Does the flower just make you run faster? Is there a benefit I’m not seeing? It leaves a giant trail of shiny flowers in its’ wake and that’s fine for running around, but in my gardens it clutters up an already pretty cluttered area.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Does the flower just make you run faster? Is there a benefit I’m not seeing? It leaves a giant trail of shiny flowers in its’ wake and that’s fine for running around, but in my gardens it clutters up an already pretty cluttered area.

The big flowers increase your run speed while you're near them even when you've stopped laying them, and they last a good while. I find them very useful as route markers too.
The other two powers build roots to let you cross small gaps and vines to increase your speed climbing a surface. Those don't last at long since they're just for getting over whatever obstacle is in your way right now.
These powers all technically use mana (the purple diamond in your health display, not the essence your plants give you) but not fast enough to be a noticeable limit if you don't have any other powers yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It took me a while to realize that it was laying a path of flowers when I hit the button and it wasn't just always making me run faster. It's nice for setting up paths to and from the various warp points out in the world so you know where they are and can get to them faster.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Clearly you can dedicate an extra spring entirely to giant oak trees so you never run out of acorns again. (Seriously just considering irrigating some trees to have them out of the way and out of mind). But yes , all the acorns for eternity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A useful thing about trees is that as long as their roots reach wet areas the tree will draw water, it doesn't actually need to be centered on the wet area except as a sapling. But if you're willing to water it manually for a while or move it once it's grown you can spread them further from the rivers.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Where are the mistberries? I have looked all over and haven't seen anything.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Baba Oh Really posted:

best ones i found were in chests in the salt lands

e-spoilering

Its a Rolex fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 7, 2023

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Baba Oh Really posted:

I know there are some wild ones in the mountains.
I'm fairly sure they're also in the salt, but that was the first area I explored so my memory is a little hazy there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Basic mistberries are all over the salt flats, yeah. Dig around near dead ones and you'll get plenty.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to get rid of these poisonous blobs that get left behind by the ghosts? I have a tree near one that I think is poisoning it but I have no idea how to get rid of it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The blessed drops that naia makes can be spread like fertilizer to get rid of them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OwlFancier posted:

The blessed drops that naia makes can be spread like fertilizer to get rid of them.

Oh thaaaaat's what those are for. Thank you!

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to get rid of these poisonous blobs that get left behind by the ghosts? I have a tree near one that I think is poisoning it but I have no idea how to get rid of it!

The fire talisman can also clear corruption after the Arx upgrade

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also eat them to cure a chunk of poison (or as a way of storing more water) but yeah, they fix poisoned ground.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm using the other springs as a way to get more wet soil because I am bad at digging irrigation.

Will Tired go away on its own eventually?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think so, if anything I think it's intentional to keep you expanding, new plants will produce more and established ones produce less, but as your garden grows you don't really want everything making GBS threads out piles of material so having it be somewhat self limiting is preferable.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

LordSloth posted:

Clearly you can dedicate an extra spring entirely to giant oak trees so you never run out of acorns again. (Seriously just considering irrigating some trees to have them out of the way and out of mind). But yes , all the acorns for eternity.

Actually this is important advice.

Desert winds tend to come from a specific direction, usually east to west. They dissipate when they hit deep enough water or when they hit a big enough tree.

On the easternmost side of where you want to garden, dig a giant north-to-south ditch, fill it with water, and plant a bunch of oak trees along the west side of that ditch. It takes some time to set up, but once it’s there, you’ll both have a convenient place to search for acorns and you should see a big drop in dust devils wandering through your main garden. You can strengthen it with a sigil that protects from sun and wind, which also conveniently collects mana for you from those huge sources.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All the Questions and Answers on this page reading them by accident from clicking the wrong thread have inadvertently made me want to try this game. I look forward to using my acorns to fight wraiths to blow their horns to grow my flower path warp gates or whatever.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Khanstant posted:

All the Questions and Answers on this page reading them by accident from clicking the wrong thread have inadvertently made me want to try this game. I look forward to using my acorns to fight wraiths to blow their horns to grow my flower path warp gates or whatever.

Oh man I remember the early midgame-lategame when I was blowing wraith horns and growing my flower path warp gates. I have all the horns blown and all the flower path warp gates unlocked now, but those were Good Times.

Now I've spent entirely too much time loving around rather than doing the final mission in the main game quest, so here are some fun facts I've learned.
The game doesn't really tell you and kind of actively misleads you about these.
Spoilered in case you want to waste wisely spend the same amount of time I did in order to discover 100% of the game for yourself:

Not all plants are subject to drowning. The game UI will lie and say "will drown" when placing or planting them them in water, but they'll be totally fine submerged in water of any depth.
These plants are: any variant of witchwood or glowstick, maybe others. Also *any* marsh biome variant of plants, for example marsh dunegrass or marsh moon glory vine.
I've tried a bunch and they all worked, so if there are any that it's not true for - I haven't seen them. Plants that don't have a marsh specific biome version -like oak trees- will drown of course, as will seeds planted that don't auto-convert to biome specific plants, like wild or ancient variants (provided they aren't something totally immune, like glowsticks).

In general most but not all of of the "yellow" placement cautions the UI gives you are things you can just ignore if you want. It'll hurt the time to mature and yield, but the plant will grow and live.
I've never seen a plant die or fail to grow from being too crowded, not getting enough light, or not having a nearby support plant. Causes of death have always been: dying of thirst, drowning, or getting killed by random wind/storms/ghosts/boulders/my scythe.

Hmm, maybe if crowding gets really bad it could kill plants? I'll have to try that...

Also due to bugs in the current version, beware of using wellstones. I've had a number of bugs related to using them: having them link then mysteriously stop being linked and no longer providing water (not all of them, just some of them). Having wellstones that can't be linked, no matter where I move them. Having the above mysteriously fix itself, only to break again.

Being unable to move them for mysterious reasons. Being unable to place them somewhere while moving them because "too many wellstones" but I have fewer wellstones total than the allowed number of links, and in any case they're broken and not linked so, WTF?

Bottom line is that aspect of the game is just buggy in a way that might randomly break your water flow, so maybe avoid it for now until that's fixed. Springs have been 100% reliable for me.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 8, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh the bee really shouldn't have given me this chisel. I am not to be trusted with this power.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I wish you could put a hat or something on the frog to make it easier to see, my starting area is a mess and last time I was looking for the frog I ended up running in circles until I heard it.

e: one of the faq posts on the discord says DO NOT CONNECT THE RANGES OF DIFFERENT WORLD WELLSTONES THROUGH CRAFTED STONES

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My biggest problem at the moment is remembering where I put various plants. Like I know I have white flowers planted somewhere, but where?

Flowing water makes a good produce collection system. Anything that falls into the stream gets carried downriver and all washes up together.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Oh the bee really shouldn't have given me this chisel. I am not to be trusted with this power.

I have already created the absolutely most ugly overengineered canal systems and it owns. That revived Witchwood over there is going to have direct water access and mere geography is not going to stop me. :allears:

I mean I guess I could also build a pipe system but :effort:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Griz posted:

I wish you could put a hat or something on the frog to make it easier to see, my starting area is a mess and last time I was looking for the frog I ended up running in circles until I heard it.
Click him on the map to keep him visible on your compass. It's the only way I've ever been able to find any of my animal friends in my mess of a meadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

My biggest problem at the moment is remembering where I put various plants. Like I know I have white flowers planted somewhere, but where?

this is what secondary springs are for, just label them "lily spring" "monument spring" etc on the map. I put all the lilies in a big clump and they made some new colors on their own, I only need one or two more for the unlock.

I turned the southwest spring into marsh and had the water flow down the hill

Griz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 8, 2023