Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flame sigils seem kind of bad? Sometimes they hit something but it seems like most of the time their fireballs catch a plant around it and it keeps fruitlessly shooting at a thing it can't hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Griz posted:

I wish you could put a hat or something on the frog to make it easier to see, my starting area is a mess and last time I was looking for the frog I ended up running in circles until I heard it.

simply get more frogs

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is there a way to reactivate quest markers on the map? Setting the quest to active alone doesn't seem to do it. It's particularly troublesome because now (Oros quest) I'm asked to plant seeds in "the designated area" but nothing seems to be visibly designated.

edit: Never mind on the last part, it was directly in his temple and I just had a UI bug that was hiding the outlines.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 8, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to easily repair structures? It's pretty annoying to repair everything after a sand storm, especially when heavily damaged things require multiple repairs to make it fully repaired.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to easily repair structures? It's pretty annoying to repair everything after a sand storm, especially when heavily damaged things require multiple repairs to make it fully repaired.
Yep! Check out the canyons if you want to find it yourself.

There are bees you can craft after you liberate the god in the canyons that repair stuff over time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eiba posted:

Yep! Check out the canyons if you want to find it yourself.

There are bees you can craft after you liberate the god in the canyons that repair stuff over time.

Hell yeah, good to know.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can’t stop playing this game. It scratches a very specific itch I didn’t know I had. 2023 has been absolutely stacked with truly excellent games.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Picky ghosts want fresh flowers not spoiled ones.

Does the preservation basket halt degradation or just slow it down?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

It just slows it down.

There is the option in the menu reduce the speed globally, however.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My main quests right now are "The Lost City" and "The Drained Sea" but I have no idea how to progress. It feels like the meteors it wants me to find are beyond the "this whole area is poison death" zone, I'm working my way through the salt flats by seeking out warp points but am kind of just aimlessly wandering around right now. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I don't need a full walkthrough I just keep running around my garden watering everything because I have no idea what else to do lol.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

explosivo posted:

My main quests right now are "The Lost City" and "The Drained Sea" but I have no idea how to progress. It feels like the meteors it wants me to find are beyond the "this whole area is poison death" zone, I'm working my way through the salt flats by seeking out warp points but am kind of just aimlessly wandering around right now. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I don't need a full walkthrough I just keep running around my garden watering everything because I have no idea what else to do lol.

Both of these require exploration. Broadly, find the source of the meteors.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SettingSun posted:

Both of these require exploration. Broadly, find the source of the meteors.

Got it, thanks. I think I might have sought one out and I wasn't able to damage the thing but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll keep poking around, I did see the quest mentioned something about needing some mistberries which I'm only now starting to grow so maybe I'll take another look.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

explosivo posted:

The salt flats has a whole bunch of corrupt areas, and some of them require different solutions. The ones needed to progress the main quest are the ones with the horns that ask for mistberries. For the other ones Use the power you gain from the canyon city to destroy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah I got it, thanks for the hints. I had seen the big rear end seashell before but I don't think I had the thing I needed to use it at the time and forgot about it.

Edit: oh yes and now the floodgates of new mechanics have opened :getin:

Another Edit:

Saw the dev reply to two steam forum posts answers to things that I was wondering about. Bones can be composted but need moisture as well so they only compost if you put something else in with the bones. Also, roobeard fungi can be used to clear up toxic puddles. They recommend just picking up and moving the plant to wherever the toxic puddle is and it will gradually clear it up. Going to have to try that second one rather than use a blessed drop.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 11, 2023

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm trying to destroy a wraith crystal in the canyon, and I have no idea how to do it. It doesn't seem to shoot the laser, just electrocute me and poison the ground? I haven't been given any guidance or hints so far that I can think of that'd help. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Unlike the dunes, not all of the wraith outposts you will encounter elsewhere will be breakable immediately. You need to find the crystals that produce the pink meteors.
For the canyons, you need to find the city gates. They'll have a ghost on top.

edit: The ones you're talking about specifically will be breakable after story progression, apparently. Something about upgrading the chisel?

siotle fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 11, 2023

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

broken pixel posted:

I'm trying to destroy a wraith crystal in the canyon, and I have no idea how to do it. It doesn't seem to shoot the laser, just electrocute me and poison the ground? I haven't been given any guidance or hints so far that I can think of that'd help. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

gotta talk to my man Gleb, he'll hook you up. unless its the floating orb ones, I haven't gotten whatever you need to destroy those yet

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

siotle posted:

Unlike the dunes, not all of the wraith outposts you will encounter elsewhere will be breakable immediately. You need to find the crystals that produce the pink meteors.
For the canyons, you need to find the city gates. They'll have a ghost on top.

edit: The ones you're talking about specifically will be breakable after story progression, apparently. Something about upgrading the chisel?

YES bread posted:

gotta talk to my man Gleb, he'll hook you up. unless its the floating orb ones, I haven't gotten whatever you need to destroy those yet

Neat, thanks! That explains a lot!

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
anyone else ever have trouble with wellsprings and frogs delinking? doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I load up the game and have to rebuild/upgrade stuff which is very annoying. I don't mind picking up the frogs

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's hard to find graphic settings that sustain 60 fps after a few days of play. Is that just par for the course?

I'm using a 3060ti. The fans go full bore at the oasis, though I wonder if it's from all the plant, seed and water simulations instead of the graphics. When I heal a plant or expand a well, it takes 2 to 4 seconds for its stats to update. The game must be checking their states less often on purpose, which implies the simulation is or were a resource hog.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aw poo poo. Most of my garden just got trashed by one of the big sandstorms.

Should I be putting walls up all the way around it or what?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Walls will shelter things behind them a bit but mainly you want things like trees, big plants with lots of health. You can also use rock formations and dunes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You can also use rock formations and dunes.

I guess I can always use the chisel to create a ridge going all the way around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're that far along just trees should work. Cover everything in forest except for a clearing in the middle for your plants that want open sky.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Donnerberg posted:

It's hard to find graphic settings that sustain 60 fps after a few days of play. Is that just par for the course?

I'm using a 3060ti. The fans go full bore at the oasis, though I wonder if it's from all the plant, seed and water simulations instead of the graphics. When I heal a plant or expand a well, it takes 2 to 4 seconds for its stats to update. The game must be checking their states less often on purpose, which implies the simulation is or were a resource hog.

Yeah the game really makes the fans on my gpu go crazy too. I turned the settings all down to medium and it happens less but it still doesn't run amazingly in and around my oasis now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New update with some fixes for problems I was having. The Inventory stacking thing in particular was annoying me.

quote:

Corrupted Saves
We know it’s frustrating to lose many hours of work on a garden. In case of rare file corruption issues, we’ve added a save backup feature that will automatically copy the previous version of your world to a separate location before each save attempt.

Find your backup save here. C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\LocalLow\Muse Games\Wildmender\backup\ You may need to enable viewing hidden files.

If you attempt to load a corrupted save file, the game will now show an error message and return to the main menu instead of being stuck on the loading screen indefinitely.

If you encounter a corrupted save, copying the backup save to the worlds folder at
C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\LocalLow\Muse Games\Wildmender\worlds\
will allow you to access and play it. You are free to rename the backup save. Do note, the backup saves may be missing the last few minutes of your previous play session.

Wellstone Issues
While the world of Wildmender starts out dry as bone, we’ve watched you industriously irrigate it - sometimes more than you meant to. We’ve made a few improvements to water sources to help you along:

Added several recipes to restored Springs and Wellstones to allow players to control water production
“Low Water Flow” - 10% of normal
“Moderate Water Flow” - 50% of normal
“High Water Flow” - 100% of normal
Fixed a number of issues with Wellstones failing to link with a host spring, or unlinking unexpectedly.
If a Wellstone has a valid connection to multiple host springs, it will now favor the closest with capacity.

Inventory Management
We’ve seen some incredible, and incredibly productive, gardens created by players. This patch includes some small changes to make managing your inventories easier - we have more planned on this front that is coming soon, as this has performance implications as well.

Improved stacking behavior when drag & dropping items between your backpack and a storage basket. Dragging items onto a stack in the other inventory will now attempt to combine the stacks if valid, instead of just swapping.
Increased the item capacity of Storage Baskets from 8 to 16 (upgrading them to Big Baskets adds another 8)
Increased the inventory stack limits on some common items

Wood, Plant Fibers: 30 -> 99
Sandstone: 30 -> 50
Copper, Flint, Bone Fragments, Frozen Essence: 20 -> 30
Blessed Drop: 5 -> 10

The Frog will now travel through water to pick up underwater items
Fixed several bugs that could cause the Frog to stop collecting items
Reduced passive drops of Wood and Plant Fibers from plants in restored biomes (no longer increases from growth rate above 100%)

Quest Issues and Blockers
Added a map/compass icon for Runic Gears that have dropped from the containing chest but not yet been picked up.
Fixed canceling the Move action (right-clicking while moving) making the target object unable to be moved again.
Fixed players becoming unable to pick up another plant if the plant they were carrying died (due to environmental damage etc)
Fixed an issue where certain upgrades to the sickle, spade, bottle, and mirror would fail to remove the tools they were upgrading, and in some instances prevent players from picking up new tools necessary to progress the game.

Other Improvements
Slightly increased the blocking/interaction radius of Oracle Trees to better match their fully-grown model - this should fix Giant Oracle Trees in particular being difficult to interact with.
Reduced size and noisiness of particles on newly-harvestable seeds
Fixed wraith attack warning UI overflowing in German
Fixed some Chinese translations
Fixed Librarian shirt and pants dying incorrectly
Fixed missing projectile VFX on the Soldier Bee Sigil’s attack
Some small performance optimizations to the Canyons

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
item stacking is so much better and you can actually touch oracle trees now, 10/10 update

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow, that inventory stuff is a huge improvement!

I'm glad it looks like they tried to fix the wellstone issues. I haven't messed with them much based on what folks here were saying, but now I can extend my garden out the way I had planned!

General progression question for those who are further in the game- I've done the salt flats and canyons and I'm leaving the mountain to last. It appears to be the last geographical area, so I've been putting it off while I tend my garden, because tending my garden feels more fun when it's theoretically in aid of making more progress in the world. Is there more meaty story progress after you do the last biome that makes gardening feel meaningful or is it just kind of over at that point? I kind of want to just get right up to right before the final big challenge and garden to my hearts content at that point.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Eiba posted:

Oh wow, that inventory stuff is a huge improvement!

I'm glad it looks like they tried to fix the wellstone issues. I haven't messed with them much based on what folks here were saying, but now I can extend my garden out the way I had planned!

General progression question for those who are further in the game- I've done the salt flats and canyons and I'm leaving the mountain to last. It appears to be the last geographical area, so I've been putting it off while I tend my garden, because tending my garden feels more fun when it's theoretically in aid of making more progress in the world. Is there more meaty story progress after you do the last biome that makes gardening feel meaningful or is it just kind of over at that point? I kind of want to just get right up to right before the final big challenge and garden to my hearts content at that point.

The gift from the mountain's god is the most underwhelming one but I recommend getting the necessary skytorch seeds to upgrade the cloak fully from there, at least.

And freeing all of them unlocks some very useful further upgrades from an until then underappreciated god.

What's everyone's favourite trinket loadout btw?

Mine is both inventory rings, because I love hoovering up everything and the feather ring. That last one should be really obvious from my posts in here.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm really enjoying the core gameplay loop of "find seeds, plant them and putter around in a garden", but other aspects of the game are frustrating as hell. I really wish that there was a way to control map marker generation - I'd much rather have steles and graves automatically appear on my map instead of spirit darters and other critters. Especially since graves pop up in the journal, but the corresponding map marker doesn't, making finding the graves afterward extremely difficult if you forget to add them manually when you first find them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you upgrade the Shrine you can use it to point to graves.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

That's what I've been doing, but they're on a timer and even though it's a negligible amount of essence to call them up, the fact that I'm a time limit gives me mild anxiety.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Walls will shelter things behind them a bit but mainly you want things like trees, big plants with lots of health.

I just got a bracelet that lets me jack trees and I remembered that I'd used the Lifeflame at the northern dunes spring, so I went and stole all the now-living giant oak trees. My oasis is well-forested now.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I will say that the first time I died, I immediately turned off the ‘drop all items on death’ thing because the game is fair and chill until it isn’t and the death felt extremely bullshit.

Like chill plant game chill plant game chill plant ga-oh god so so many beams and lightning and run away maybe I can ma- DEAD.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it a good idea to read any of these scrolls. I'm scared of a bad end.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Most give you skill points, some give you passive bonuses when you read all of them, none of them are bad that I know of but some do have negative effects like poisoning you when you read it or takes a bunch of hunger meter away. They're one of the main ways you unlock new powers so read em if you got em.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

As far as I can tell, you get partial benefits from the scroll and planting multiple cultivars of a species perks.

The non XP scrolls with the meter draining effects stop dropping once you read 5 of em to max the associated perk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

explosivo posted:

Most give you skill points, some give you passive bonuses when you read all of them, none of them are bad that I know of but some do have negative effects like poisoning you when you read it or takes a bunch of hunger meter away. They're one of the main ways you unlock new powers so read em if you got em.

They're not going to make me evil?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I am aware of. Just make you beefier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The descriptions really do make them sound like you should burn them in a ritual fire instead of read them for progress.