Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.
As a cat owner myself, the thought of this happening is frightening and heartbreaking.

TL;DR - Lyft driver drove off with a passenger’s cat and denied any knowledge. The cat was found and is OK. The driver is a dick.

Cat owner's initial Twitter post with details...

https://twitter.com/palashp40616755/status/1708268666347811194

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-lyft-driver-cat-tux/269-c51edfef-2c94-483a-9721-a185d56c28bf

quote:

Palash Pandey's Lyft ride turned into a nightmare after he said his driver took off with his pet cat, Tux, as he was dropped off at an animal hospital for an appointment.

The incident happened on Sept. 30 just before 3:30 p.m., according to Pandey. He said he had Tux inside of a cat carrier bag in the backseat. Once he was dropped off at Banfield Pet Hospital off Research Boulevard in northwest Austin, he got out and went around to open the door. But by the time he started to open it, he claims the driver sped off.

Thankfully, this story has a happy ending!

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/cat-separated-from-owner-after-lyft-trip/

quote:

Local cat owner Palash Pandey was reunited with his cat, Tux, overnight Sunday into Monday morning after the two were separated following a rideshare trip on Saturday.

More information from the cat’s owner about what happened:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Lyft/comments/16wlgnd/need_help_lyft_driver_drove_off_with_my_pet_cat/k340b8v/

quote:

The investigators from Lyft found Tux! She was at https://maps.app.goo.gl/8MQzG4kVFpufmQUK7. The did not find her carrier.

Snippet from the investigator who found her: "Cat ran up a set of stairs on the back of the building next to it. The team was able to get her caught up at the top of the stairs and she was too scared to jump from up there. I was able to give my over shirt to the team member at top of the stairs to wrap her up in and had an extra cat carrier that I brought with me just in case of."

She looks very tired, is covered in fleas and dehydrated. She started eating wet food again which is a good sign but I'll monitor her and take her to the vet as soon as she calms down and stabilizes a bit. I would update again once I hear from the vet.

Thank you everyone. I cannot thank each and everyone of you enough.

Also now, that I have her back, I want to nail the POS who stole her. I'm going to ensure that they go to jail. gently caress these people. I want revenge now. loving coward saw what was coming for him and left her on the side of the road. There's plenty of cameras around, he's not going to get away with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

quote:

Also now, that I have her back, I want to nail the POS who stole her. I'm going to ensure that they go to jail. gently caress these people. I want revenge now. loving coward saw what was coming for him and left her on the side of the road. There's plenty of cameras around, he's not going to get away with this.
:yikes:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Man I’d be angry too if someone took off with my cat and dumped it on the side of the road when they realised their mistake but I doubt anyone is getting jail time over this

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Chrs posted:

Man I’d be angry too if someone took off with my cat and dumped it on the side of the road when they realised their mistake but I doubt anyone is getting jail time over this
Yeah this poo poo is infuriating but the law doesn't give a gently caress about animals and even if the guy was found guilty of like "animal kidnapping" he's walking with a misdemeanor tops.

If he's poor, that may still equate to some jail time, but probably not. I went to jail for a misdemeanor but that was weed possession, so basically murder.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

y’all don’t have airtag collars on your pets?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Bad Purchase posted:

y’all don’t have airtag collars on your pets?

My plants aren't going anywhere

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

quote:

gently caress these people. I want revenge now. loving coward saw what was coming for him and left her on the side of the road. There's plenty of cameras around, he's not going to get away with this.

breaking: accidental car explosion leaves 1 dead

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah this is more a vigilante justice thing. like its unspeakably cruel and anyone who would do it is trash

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the lyft driver has since received job offers from a dozen police departments

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

Farg posted:

yeah this is more a vigilante justice thing. like its unspeakably cruel and anyone who would do it is trash

Sounds like people already doxxed the driver. From Lyft's CEO:

https://twitter.com/davidrisher/status/1708708770518544867

FWIW, it appears people elsewhere already found the guy's name, his address, his phone number, and possibly his employer. Bunch of cat lovers threatening to go John Wick.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i feel a fair and appropriate punishment would be to introduce bedbugs into his house

repeatedly over the next decade

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ultramega OK posted:

FWIW, it appears people elsewhere already found the guy's name, his address, his phone number, and possibly his employer. Bunch of cat lovers threatening to go John Wick.

i think cat owners can only go Jon Arbuckle

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GolfHole posted:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man distraught after removing cat from safety in carrier, and then placing said cat on random road.
Please think of poor distraught Lyft driver. Hope they throw the book at him.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i will find this man and destroy him, i am sharpening my katana now for vengeance

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sounds like he forgot his cat, probably shouldn't do that

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How do you gently caress up this badly. Like, not just the initial driving off, but realizing the mistake and not simply driving back to the vet location to return the cat.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

GolfHole posted:

the guy who silently disappeared his roommate and got away with it? I'd be worried too

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Jelly posted:

Yeah this poo poo is infuriating but the law doesn't give a gently caress about animals and even if the guy was found guilty of like "animal kidnapping" he's walking with a misdemeanor tops.

If he's poor, that may still equate to some jail time, but probably not. I went to jail for a misdemeanor but that was weed possession, so basically murder.

You could conceivably prosecute it under theft laws, but idk how Texas defines it

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Animal dumping in Texas is a very serious 10 year felony and he could be persecuted under that.

How the hell did this guy think he was going to get away with this and what was he thinking? Also Lyft needing to be cyber bullied into finding the cat, I'm curious to know how they did find it and if there is any video of anything between the cat going in the car and getting out. I wonder what the people he picked up after the cat owner saw and did. Like if I ordered a lyft and there was a cat in the back I'd say something about it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Bad Purchase posted:

the lyft driver has since received job offers from a dozen police departments

doubtful, he didnt shoot the cat

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The cat had it coming.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
People tend to get really dumb when around a dog or a cat, maybe that's what happened

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jelly posted:

In Texas, dumping a cat in an unfamiliar place is felony animal cruelty.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ultramega OK posted:

What does this dickhead mean that the driver is as distraught as everyone else

He let someone’s beloved pet go out into the streets to possibly be killed

Like I am not gonna go baying for his blood but he should probably make a big apology or something

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Like I am not gonna go baying for his blood but he should probably make a big apology or something

lol no he shouldn't, he committed a felony that carries a max of 10 years

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
why is literally every rideshare driver absolutely terrible at driving? you idiots drive for a living but suck poo poo at it? how?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they have an algorithm that matches the worst drivers with the worst tippers

bet the cat guy didn’t tip at all

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's sad and all but I can't get over what a weird move it is to put your cat on the back seat and then get in the front.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chinatown posted:

why is literally every rideshare driver absolutely terrible at driving? you idiots drive for a living but suck poo poo at it? how?

People that drive for a living don't have the skills or personality to do anything else. See taxi drivers, truck drivers, etc. You can be a worthless dumbass and still be allowed to drive a car.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

flubber nuts posted:

The cat had it coming.

cat was no angel

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

rabble rabble posted:

cat was no angel

Lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

cubicle gangster posted:

It's sad and all but I can't get over what a weird move it is to put your cat on the back seat and then get in the front.

why? cat carriers are pretty big, much easier to get into the back seat of a car than a front seat, especially if you need to put it in sideways

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

poo poo you're right

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

In the early days of rideshare apps, I used to always sit in the front. I don't anymore though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cubicle gangster posted:

Cat carrier in the front seat, passenger in the back, morgan freeman behind the wheel

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

GolfHole posted:

I'd still be worried. Who knows what Jon did to Lyman?

EDIT: What someone else a few replies up said.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Reminder that Austin voted to ban both Lyft and Uber for a whole year because people heard wild stories about the drivers doing criminal poo poo like this, and had to have their own special rideshare companies until the vote got rescinded. This was back when Lyft and Uber were still pretty new and most of those stories were bullshit, but still.

rotinaj posted:

What does this dickhead mean that the driver is as distraught as everyone else

He let someone’s beloved pet go out into the streets to possibly be killed

He didn't "let" the cat do anything. He straight-up picked the cat up out of the car and dumped it on the side of the road to die. gently caress his rear end.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 2, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ultramega OK posted:

Also from Lyft's CEO, in the comments.
https://twitter.com/davidrisher/status/1708716099406274746?s=20

:shepface: "We understand that our employee stole a man's beloved pet and left it for dead in the middle of nowhere, but we had a nice long chat with them and it turns out things are ~somewhat more complicated~ than that."

just wow

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
This driver sucks and I hate him, thank you for reading.