Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This teddy bear I won smells kind of mildewy, I'll probably just throw it away later. But first, let's go check out the sun-bleached Whacky Shack, hopefully all the mechanical parts are still moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

$11.50 for a hot dog, what the gently caress is this

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
I've never been to a state fair in the US. But, I've been to the mother of all state fairs, Ocktoberfest in Munich. This was many years ago, I can't imagine it's much different now.

Oktoberfest isn't just drinking beer in huge tents. No siree! There's rides and food and drama!

Okay, there's a lot of drinking. A lot. With the usual outcomes.

There are lot of guys and gals standing around in lederhosen and dirndls.

A lot of whatever this is.

Rides! Lots of rides!.

And more rides!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sweeeet pictures!

I just got back from the fair. Mission Accomplished.
I ate so much junk and then started going on spinning rides to test
the power of my will, and stomach.

Interesting note: Rode The Zipper 3 times. The 3rd time was drastically more spinny
than the previous two. We hit 6 full rotations in a row at one point, whereas we never even got a double
the previous two times.

Makes you wonder.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I haven’t been to the state fair since Big Tex burned because I am convinced it was an inside job and am still mad about it.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I wonder why they call it oktoberfest

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

redshirt posted:

Interesting note: Rode The Zipper 3 times. The 3rd time was drastically more spinny
than the previous two. We hit 6 full rotations in a row at one point, whereas we never even got a double
the previous two times.

Makes you wonder.

Each car has different wear and/or (hopefully) lubrication. That's why when you're waiting in line you should look to see which ones are especially spinny and pick which one that you want to end up in. Sometimes I'll offer the person in back of me cuts so I can plan to be in a primo seat.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I went to the county fair with a close friend and it was easily one of the best days I had this year. I don’t go annually for whatever reason, and my last time I had went was with my boyfriend at the time in 2018. It’s pretty much my Disneyland though.

Every single facet of it, the copyright infringing shirts, the overuse of neon lighting and glow sticks, the shoddy spray paint artwork both on the rides and on tshirts, the farm animals, the mariachi bands, the exhibits where the 11 year old won blue ribbon for a minion created using flower pedals, the incredibly unhealthy food, it’s everything I absolutely love.

It’s so unpretentious, so raw and American in all its mediocre glory, I legitimately have a fantastic time every time I go. I think part of it is because it reminds me of my hometown, which is a pretty crappy agricultural town, but it feels nice to revisit those authentic roots after living in a city so infamous for being image and clout focused.

Part of this might be nostalgia because my late grandma would take me to these every year and it became one of those core childhood memories. But I can still experience it as an adult and have a whole day of fun for like $50 or more if I want a shirt with my name spray painted on it with Gangster SpongeBob underneath.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Someday someone will unravel the terrible origin of the Rasta banana plushie prize

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

If you need me I’ll be over at the fire department’s bingo tent piling up fat stacks of quarters while the old ladies glare at me. Not my fault your cards suck lady..

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's too hot, I get heatstroke easily, can I just sit in the car with the AC on or maybe lie down in the shade under the big oak tree? :smith:

sine730
Jun 4, 2023

The one man band is playing!

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

I brought 500mg worth of cookies last time and had poor cooler management and ruined 80% of them

edit: Oh, County fair, not Country

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Wow, the side of the ride is painted like this, but crudely!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
There's a free concert tonight included with my ticket but ehhh looks real bad

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Nelly played at our county fair ~4 years ago. I probably just read the internet that night

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fair update: I only saw one dedicated Trump merchandise tent, it was small, and empty. Compared to 3 bigger ones last year. There was sporadic political stuff here and there in other tents, but overall I was psyched to see how little of it there was compared to previous years.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

redshirt posted:

Fair update: I only saw one dedicated Trump merchandise tent, it was small, and empty. Compared to 3 bigger ones last year. There was sporadic political stuff here and there in other tents, but overall I was psyched to see how little of it there was compared to previous years.

I love the overlap of Trump merchandise and the other racist and crude stuff. Like if you see a t-shirt with Trump slogans you can also probably find biker merchandise with uplifting and positive slogans like a biker t-shirt that says "If you can read this, the bitch fell off."

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is fair dinkum a puppet?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Tumble posted:

I love the overlap of Trump merchandise and the other racist and crude stuff. Like if you see a t-shirt with Trump slogans you can also probably find biker merchandise with uplifting and positive slogans like a biker t-shirt that says "If you can read this, the bitch fell off."

My best friend’s dad had that shirt, and we changed the meaning of the phrase to be “that man has lost his goddamned mind”.

As in, “yo Tone, what’s your dad up to?” “[heavy sigh] the bitch fell off again, he took a bunch of stuff from work and it’s not poo poo they don’t use.” Honestly, I think fully assimilating into rural American culture as a Lao refugee in the mid/late ‘70s is what made the bitch fall off from the outset, but that’s [a] an epiphany to me just now and [b] not a topic for this thread.

root beer fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 7, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tumble posted:

For sure, that stuff all goes hand and hand.

Those biker tents, in the long ago, used to be fun. Switchblade combs! Leather vests! But no longer.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

How many bitchin’ Camaro or Trans Am coke mirrors were for sale?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was just here 25 years ago and you guys had and entire back wall of little 8"x8" mirrors in your carnival game tent with Iron Maiden and Ozzy album covers painted on them! What do you mean you don't have them anymore?! No, I don't want a knock-off Deadpool badge or a sexy Harley Quinn poster...

Sigh... Do you at least have the Harley Quinn poster painted on a 8"x8" mirror?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

In Traverse City, Michigan we have the Cherry Festival during the week of 4th of July. But most years the local cherries aren't ripe yet so our massively advertised festival brings in cherries from Washington and California instead.

But we also get a lot of acts like Vanilla Ice, Nelly, Boys to Men, Flo Rida, Nelly again...

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

But we also get a lot of acts like Vanilla Ice, Nelly, Boys to Men, Flo Rida, Nelly again...

Boys 2 Men were playing at The Food and Wine Festival when we went to Epcot and lunatics were lined up at 3 for a 6:30 show. I wouldn’t have waited in that line in that heat for 1984 Van Halen.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

redshirt posted:

For sure, that stuff all goes hand and hand.

Those biker tents, in the long ago, used to be fun. Switchblade combs! Leather vests! But no longer.

I was so excited to finally get a switchblade comb from the state fair one year. It stopped working pretty quickly after it was exposed to my Rave hairspray soaked hair :(

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

maybealabia posted:

There's a free concert tonight included with my ticket but ehhh looks real bad

Is it Night Ranger or Hank Williams Jr?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Look at the huge balls on those pigs

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
big diarrhea energy coming, time to hit up the biffy it's only 10 minutes into the fair opening and it's still pristine

edit:

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
a land of fried foods and clandestine public sex acts

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

come on down to the mt hermon county fair to see the worlds ONLY pig with testicles for eyes. $2.50 for general admission, $10 for the fast pass.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

This caricature artist really gets me

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I'm the carnival ride that lurches loose from its supports and flings fairgoers skyward

I'm also the multiple mass shootings that happen at the same fair

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I like how 12 carnies live together in a makeshift hovel trailer with no air conditioning or plumbing

Oh wait no, I hate that

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

The results are in from the test your strength machine. You failed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Each car has different wear and/or (hopefully) lubrication. That's why when you're waiting in line you should look to see which ones are especially spinny and pick which one that you want to end up in. Sometimes I'll offer the person in back of me cuts so I can plan to be in a primo seat.

The line for the Zipper was long, we had no choice for the car we'd get.
I did pull that trick on the "Pirate Ship" ride, and we indeed got the back row, which is by far the best seat.

Also, it's an objective FACT that fairs are 50% better at night.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

50%? Nighttime is the only time fairs are even tolerable in the first place

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

root beer posted:

50%? Nighttime is the only time fairs are even tolerable in the first place

I mean you can go in any time of the day drunk and wearing a blindfold for an optimized experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I forget the name of the ride, it was Avengers themed, and had 4 pods of 4 seats that would spin way up in the sky. Big line.

We're like 2-3 turns away and we see that some kid hurled on it and the Mexican Carny was hosing off a very big area and my niece was like "Nope" and I'm like "We've already waited so long, and we have to wait a while more, it will all be dry and gone by the time we get there" and she was adamantly "Nope". So, no spinny Avengers ride...