Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
so we’ve all known for a while that between the ads and the weird AI-generated SEO optimised articles that show up for every search, google is garbo when it comes to actually searching things. and now there is this:

https://twitter.com/pioldes/status/1708932624318689789?s=46&t=DX0vU4KqndHVjiEw26RVXA

so what should we use instead? dog pile? yahoo? anything that actually searches goddamn keywords and gives relevant links would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://searx.space/

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
http://wiby.me/

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://yandex.com/

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I ain't clicking on no random goon links that's gotten me in trouble before. Thanks for the info though I hadn't heard this particular example of how Google is evil

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Bing? Idk

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

duckduckgo i guess

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
Hacker News says Kagi. You know, if you're rich.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
The Dewey decimal system op

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

https://tiddierubandtuck.org

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
That one that only gives you search results if it foresees that doing so will cause harm to you and your love ones? You know in that typical evil genie fashion.

But yeah, it doesn't include any advertising/promoted links so it gets good search results.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
goatse.arch

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Chat GPT

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

searx is p good, i've been using it for a while

it's just a search aggregator, so you get your results from ddg and bing and stuff. sometimes even google

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
searx/searxng is good.

I just (took about 20mins of working out what the gently caress to do, and also finding out that it was possible...) worked out how to run it in a docker container on my desktop, so Im using that from now on.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I've been using kagi.com for about a year now.

It's not perfect, and it's not free, but it does the job, lets you customize results, and most importantly it's not Google.

gently caress Google. They ruined the internet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bing owns because you can sign up for rewards and get $5 off rewards on Amazon, I've probably redeemed hundreds of dollars at this point just by searching for stupid poo poo.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is South Korea still obsessed with using Yahoo!? lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

dumb. posted:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

dumb. posted:

I've been using kagi.com for about a year now.

It's not perfect, and it's not free, but it does the job, lets you customize results, and most importantly it's not Google.

motions at all the rest of the internet that is a flaming pile of poo poo not touched by google. i think everyone ruined the internet

also simpsons predicted google being evil

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Kagi.com

$10 / month for search but you get nice features. I went from 'laughing at the absurdity of paying for search on yospos', to handing them my credit card in about 48 hours.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My cousin is a librarian. I'll probably see her around christmas. What are you searching op?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i dial 411 and ask about children’s clothing

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Kagi.com

$10 / month for search but you get nice features. I went from 'laughing at the absurdity of paying for search on yospos', to handing them my credit card in about 48 hours.

What's the sales pitch exactly? Like, you try googling something and see the results then compare that with kagi and it's apparent kagi is worth paying a monthly fee for?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Have you considered askjeeves

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Don't Be Evil

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

did you guys ever ask jeeves something hosed up

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

pencilhands posted:

did you guys ever ask jeeves something hosed up

whenever he showed up in a night gown you knew you were about to see some hella rude stuff

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's the sales pitch exactly? Like, you try googling something and see the results then compare that with kagi and it's apparent kagi is worth paying a monthly fee for?

Pretty much. I signed up for a '100 free searches' account, after a particularly frustrating day with Google and it wasn't amazing or life changingly good, but in direct contrast it wasn't a rage inducing dumpster fire. The bar has been sinking for so long, I had forgotten what good search looked like. I keep vacillating on a subscription, because searx is almost as good.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

Absolutely basic and using duckduckgo right now. Sometimes that means I don't find what I'm searching for even with site:stackoverflow.com or w/e but then I give up and move on to other venues, ask people in slack/discord, etc

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i just use zombo.com you can do anything there

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

You can filter / promote domains in your results. I filter away basically the entire Facebook world / Pintreset, and pin Wikipedia to the top of all my results. How this isn't a default feature of every search engine is a loving mystery, but I guess it's part of the 'you are the product' thing.
You can define and filter whole blocks of results. I get rid of any World News. Kagi calls this 'Lenses' and people make and share their own stuff.
You can customize / hide inline results ('Answers', News, LIsticles, Shopping, etc.).
Custom CSS is a first-class feature.
It's fast.
It feels very much like the product is the search engine, not the person trying to search.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i just use zombo.com you can do anything there

A lot of very powerful people are saying this, believe it or not.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Make your own company devoted to internet searches

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This thread just reminded me to do something about it so I swapped my default engine away from google to duckduckgo, which seems to work fine but I've only used it for a few days now. What have I not noticed yet with DDG that makes the results poor?

I could tell google was filled with SEO, pinterest, adverts, and a bunch of other trash but I'm not really sensitive to the idea of "this is a good, deep search, yielding a wide array of relevant results". Like how can you guys even tell?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Before Google there was Metacrawler, an aggregator, which was the style at the time. It was better than Google back when Google was good, so if there are any aggregators around today they're probably worth looking into. As an aside, my 8th grade English teacher in like 1998 told the entire class to have our parents invest in Google because he (rightfully) thought it was the future, but my parents were dumber than a sack of rocks collectively and I had no money to act on this. But for some reason it's a flashbulb memory that I can never forget. Thank you for your sage wisdom, Mr. Seibert.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
goon project idea: an ask jeeves revival

please...

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

google man, show me expensive lizards. run program.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

flubber nuts posted:

google man, show me expensive lizards. run program.

Can I get a hat wobble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

This thread just reminded me to do something about it so I swapped my default engine away from google to duckduckgo, which seems to work fine but I've only used it for a few days now. What have I not noticed yet with DDG that makes the results poor?

I could tell google was filled with SEO, pinterest, adverts, and a bunch of other trash but I'm not really sensitive to the idea of "this is a good, deep search, yielding a wide array of relevant results". Like how can you guys even tell?

I felt the results were less refined, and interspersed with seemingly unrelated stuff, I don't think its bad, but you don't always get a page of results focused on the topic you searched.

Its still better than Google though.

Oh, they sell your info to Microsoft if that matters.

I'm currently using searxng and messing around wiht different engines, though the first few results are usually what I was searching for, the rest can be loving wild. Its pretty fun and interesting actually.

Wee fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 4, 2023