Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

…I’ll like it. In all seriousness anyone go through the procedure? I’m afraid to get sedated since I’m afraid I won’t wake up and I also hate that feeling minutes after when you don’t know where you are at.

Any other procedures (health related) you goons have gone through that were scary for you? How did it go? Glad or sorry you did it?

It's not true sedation if that makes you feel any better. It's more like an extremely powerful narcotic that temporarily wipes your memory. You'd be 'conscious' the whole time but you won't remember anything except the chair you wake up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Do not worry, OP.

I have fairly poor reactions to anesthesia but had no problem with whatever they used for mine.

Prep was indeed very unpleasant.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

As others have said the prep is bad, the procedure is fine - relaxing even once the drug cocktail hits. Good stuff.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Thank you goons. I think my fear is exacerbated by the heart attack I had exactly 10 years ago. The feeling of being awake one minute then….black….then “where the f am I???!!” I figure the gastroenterologist knows I had a heart attack and will relay that fact to the anesthesiologist as will I.

I also have an external hemorrhoid and had mentioned it in passing during my initial visit.

I had told the doctor I was deathly afraid and I guess I worried him about my anxiety so he wanted me to just do the test where you poop in a bottle send it to the lab (cologuard?) I read it isn’t as exact and that you need to do it every 3 years. So I called him back and told him I’d go through with being sedated and having the procedure.

I’ll update you guys for sure the evening of Thursday. Call me stupid but I literally thought I could go to work right after. I guess not.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Also enjoyed reading about your experiences with other procedures. I guess we all survive with a story to tell. Love it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Thank you goons. I think my fear is exacerbated by the heart attack I had exactly 10 years ago. The feeling of being awake one minute then….black….then “where the f am I???!!” I figure the gastroenterologist knows I had a heart attack and will relay that fact to the anesthesiologist as will I.

I also have an external hemorrhoid and had mentioned it in passing during my initial visit.

I had told the doctor I was deathly afraid and I guess I worried him about my anxiety so he wanted me to just do the test where you poop in a bottle send it to the lab (cologuard?) I read it isn’t as exact and that you need to do it every 3 years. So I called him back and told him I’d go through with being sedated and having the procedure.

I’ll update you guys for sure the evening of Thursday. Call me stupid but I literally thought I could go to work right after. I guess not.

Good luck! And just stay near a toilet on prep day, and relax as much as possible on test day.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

Also enjoyed reading about your experiences with other procedures. I guess we all survive with a story to tell. Love it.

When I was going under the doctor rattled his hands on the closed venetian blinds so they all shimmered and waved.

It was hypnotic!

I remember thinking I was in the hands of a professional if they were subtle enough to make such a kind gesture and it was a soothing comfort as I passed out.

Next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery chair.

Then they told me to go to the recovery room and I did and then after a while nobody checked up on me so I left and went to Krispy Kreme.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I believe you only get like "half" put under, so you're probably gonna babble your deepest secrets to the doctors and nurses and they're all gonna be laughing at you when you come to

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
Try to get the procedure early so get the clean instrument.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

mackensie posted:

Try to get the procedure early so get the clean instrument.

Have it at 8am. Have to be there at 7am.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

One of the morning sports radio guys I used to listen to on my drive to work every day for years died from colon cancer at 48. It actually upset me quite a bit as his voice and humor had been a daily part of my life for so long. :(
https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2020/08/02/detroit-sports-personality-jamie-samuelsen-dies-at-48/

Please get your butts checked. It's not so bad.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I believe you only get like "half" put under, so you're probably gonna babble your deepest secrets to the doctors and nurses and they're all gonna be laughing at you when you come to

They will typically give you midazolam:
Used preoperatively to produce sedation, anxiolysis, and anterograde amnesia.
Particularly useful when relief of anxiety and diminished recall of events associated with the surgical procedure are desired.

I've had it explained as your brain is still going but your memory isnt recording. It has reportedly been used as a truth serum drug :v: https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2018/11/24/truth-drug-considered-for/8298620007/

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Colonoscopies and I are old friends. Both of my parents had colon cancer, and I'm over 60, so I've hit the magic combination that makes for necessary scopes. The prep drink is definitely the worst part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had an upper endo. Turns out propofanol or whatever it is makes me a happy herbivore.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Praying the magical pill prep becomes the norm before I get old enough to need colonoscopies

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Just to chime in and agree with the peeps saying it really isn't anything to sweat. Yeah, the day before sucks.

I had one scheduled before for gastro issues. Nothing really came of it.

Then, a few years ago, I was bleeding internally and ignored the signs (ignorantly, not knowing what they were), and I had 2 procedures, and an endoscopy. I had lost 3 units of blood and my BP was like 65/40.
First time I had a finger up in me. Which .. I mean sucked, but it just makes you feel like you got to poop.

BUT! (butt)
Colonoscopies aren't that bad. Try to look at a clock before you go under, it kind of helps you come back to reality, when you wake up and see another clock. Anecdotally, of course.

best of luck!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

It's not true sedation if that makes you feel any better. It's more like an extremely powerful narcotic that temporarily wipes your memory. You'd be 'conscious' the whole time but you won't remember anything except the chair you wake up in.

The procedure is in fact called "conscious sedation" and the drugs used are (potentially, there are different cocktails) Versed and some sort of pain killer like Tylenol or Fentanyl. Versed makes your short term memory not function so you just forget the procedure, and combined with a pain killer makes the whole procedure fine and unremarkable. You're not actually knocked out at all and you can still talk with the doctor throughout the whole thing and you follow their instructions like "roll over". You may be a little stoned but they're used to that. Seriously the sedation is a nothing procedure. It's the same thing they give 12 year olds for wisdom teeth removal.

Good luck! Getting a colonoscopy means you've achieved living long enough to need to get a colonoscopy! It's a milestone worth celebrating!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 4, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I have had a few colonoscopies and it's the best "sleep" you'll ever get. Just be sure to have medicated wipes for after.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japan apparently doesn't believe in anesthesia for either end poking so when you go get medically Eiffel Tower'd you'll know.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I've had a camera up my dick a couple times, once sedated once not, so a camera up the butt seems like less of a problem

you'll be fine. I did an upper GI with no sedation because I needed to be able to drive afterwards and the procedure was only like 90 seconds long but colonoscopies take a long time and I would prefer to be asleep

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
They use propofol usually to "twilight" you and it has a pretty short halflife and is relatively safe unless abused and doesn't cause malignant hyperthermia like anesthesia. The worst part will be the bowel prep. Make sure you are going clear before you go, sucks if they have to do it again.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I’ve had two endoscopies and it’s fine, it’s just like a really good nap

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Reiterating a bunch of stuff:

- Prep is the worst part (and it's not bad)
- It's the best nap ever
- Take the day before and the day of off work if you can
- It's a lot better than finding advanced stage cancer later

Other tips:
- Get some A&D lotion and use it every time you go during prep.
- Make sure you have a ride with a partner/friend who can sign a document. They won't let you go home in an Uber.

I woke up in the middle of mine to inform one of the nurses that "F45 is bullshit." Thankfully I don't have any sign of the problems that killed my grandmother so I'm back on the 10 year interval now. She died at 43 after a few years of the doctors saying she was too young to have colon cancer and she probably just had bad hemorrhoids.

Get yourself screened and make your doctors listen, everyone.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What if I’m completely used to taking huge cocks and bad dragon dildos up my rear end, will I still need to be sedated?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Hollismason posted:

Honestly you should be more worried that you are going to embarrass yourself by blasting rope during the exam which is something that happens in a small number of cases when people get colonscopies.

This happened to me and it was so awkward the doctor laughed it off but then it was like that scene in american pie where i immediately came again like 30 seconds later and the nurse looked visibly disgusted and asked how thats even possible

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

pencilhands posted:

This happened to me and it was so awkward the doctor laughed it off but then it was like that scene in american pie where i immediately came again like 30 seconds later and the nurse looked visibly disgusted and asked how thats even possible

Maybe it was her first day on the job. Maybe a very sheltered life.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Echoing everyone else that the worst part is that gross stuff they make you drink beforehand and subsequently pooping out everything you've eaten since childhood. The procedure itself is a nice nap where you close your eyes one second and open them the next to find that you're in the recovery room and everything is done. They also ask you a bunch of questions beforehand about your general health/medical history, so they're well informed on avoiding any potential problems.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toxic Mental posted:

What if I’m completely used to taking huge cocks and bad dragon dildos up my rear end, will I still need to be sedated?

Yes but the doctors will know your hobbies immediately, the same way that your dentist knows if you suck dicks on the reg

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Dude, I literally just got one last Wednesday. Not my first surgery or time under sedation--you have nothing to worry about. And I woke up more alert than when I wake up in the morning.

No, the actual procedure isn't anything to worry about.

The preparation, on the other hand...brother, you're in for a real lovely time. Mine was scheduled for noon and I did not sleep the night before, because I was scared to death that I'd cough/sneeze and poo poo the bed. Good god, I was making GBS threads out bits of the MREs I ate 20 years ago...

Cheesus posted:

Pro Tip 1: Once you take your laxatives, DO NOT TRUST A FART.
Pro Tip 2: Stop wiping, only dab for the rest of the day. Even then your anus will be very sore.

THIS. ALL OF THIS. I got a squeeze bottle and ran some hose to it for a makeshift bidet...get yourself a couple packages of baby wipes. Use the regular TP to dab off the horrendous liquid everywhere, but wipe...wipe ONLY with the baby wipes.

Hopefully your home has two bathrooms, declare one of them your kingdom for the day, and get comfortable--you ain't leaving. I was more worried about getting damned deep vein thrombosis from sitting on the john so long. Seriously, just when you thought you're done, you stand up--AND SIT RIGHT THE gently caress BACK DOWN, GRABBING THE SIDES OF THE SEAT!

You will beg. You will plead. You'll squeeze your eyes shut but a few tears will still leak out. I was praying aloud for hours--and I'm an atheist!

At least I didn't have the nasty prescription Drano--I just had to take an entire bottle of Miralax (14 days worth!) over the course of 2 hours. Then the games began...

Sapper fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 4, 2023

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
livepost the prep process op

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Cheesus posted:

The most annoying part of the prep was the no-fiber diet. The idea of eating an "American diet" of white bread, cottage cheese, and seemingly junk-food-is-ok was oddly non-trivial for me to pull off. The pre-day laxative prep was not as bad as I expected.

I hated the low fibre diet. Everywhere does their prep differently and I had to do five days of the diet. The laxative wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Again, different places use different packs and the one I used was effective without provoking the urgency I'd read about.

The doctor scoping me didn't wait until the anaesthetic had taken full effect which was unpleasant, to say the least. I was due for another colonoscopy two years ago but covid halted a lot of the routine screening programmes. My doctor referred my again last year but I still haven't heard from the clinic so I need to vhase it up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lolie posted:

The doctor scoping me didn't wait until the anaesthetic had taken full effect which was unpleasant, to say the least.

lol wtf

I guess he had lots of asses to scope that day, couldn't waste any time?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i got dick scoped recently and the only prep they did was some lube on the hole. i screamed when they stuck it in because it hurt so bad and the nurse had to put her hand over my mouth. after it was in they looked at the opening where the scope went into my bladder and the doctor remarked 'it looks irritated'. another medical school success story.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

flubber nuts posted:

i got dick scoped recently and the only prep they did was some lube on the hole. i screamed when they stuck it in because it hurt so bad and the nurse had to put her hand over my mouth. after it was in they looked at the opening where the scope went into my bladder and the doctor remarked 'it looks irritated'. another medical school success story.

I was planning on posting about my endoscopy today being uncomfortable, but drat that sounds rough.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

beepo posted:

I was planning on posting about my endoscopy today being uncomfortable, but drat that sounds rough.

yeah that doctor sucked rear end and youd have to throw a net over him if you wanted anything more than 3 word responses. just throwing meds at me without telling me anything about them. for profit health care freaking owns.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
It's a pain in the rear end OP, but I'll give you the advice my father gave me when we both had a physical on the same day. One hand on your shoulder is fine, both hands and you need to worry. Enjoy!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

You'll get the best 30 mins of sleep in your life, then wake up farting a ton. At this point I don't even think they're checking for cancer, I just think the doc likes building little wooden ships in there

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

you can just do it at home with a usb camera. I’d go ahead and tie a string to it in case the usb cord disconnects while it’s up there.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

kanonvandekempen posted:

I have a history of colon cancer in my family (one dead grandmother at a relatively young age, multiple polips have already been removed with my mother), and doctors recommend me to have an inspection every 5 years. I've had the procedure twice, once fully anaesthesised and once where they gave me something that sort of took me out of it (after the procedure I had vague memories of looking at a screen and seeing what they were doing, but I don't actually remember anything.) In both cases the procedure itself was no issue whatsoever, no pain afterwards, nothing.

I do passionately hate the disgusting liquid you have to drink the day before to prepare your colon for the procedure. God I hate it so much.

If you are not a regular binge drinker, just go on a 36 hour bender 48 hours before your colonoscopy and make sure to drink the most disgustingly cheap beer and liquor so you poo poo your guts out and wish you were dead. It helps to have a friend who is a NP who hooks you up with an IV after the bender (who you told you are afraid you are dehydrated from the prep). I did this once and it was a godsend to awake after everything with my headache gone. I was told "It's nice to see someone followed the prep directions" by the doctor when I woke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
No prep day updates from the shitter?