Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

All done. Groggy. They gave me some versed and fentalyl (spelling). I was nervous then before I knew it I was in the recovery like nothing happened. I have this tendency to want to fall forward walking though. The drugs im sure.

Way to go brother! Did they give you results when you were there? All good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
did you ask them for a wax and shine while they were in there?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
drat if they could bikini wax me while down there...

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Oddly enough, my rear end was sore from the night before right up to the procedure. I could tell it was no longer irritated and it remained that way a few hours after I was completely out of the drug haze.

I want to believe the doctor, seeing how red and irritated it was, after she finished the procedure, dabbed some Vaseline on it and gave it a kiss before I was wheeled back.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lobsterboy posted:

unironically why the prep sludge is incredibly salty, or why you can use gatorade - its just electrolytes and salts to replenish everything your body just evacuated out. yeehaw.
If everything is working right, the rinse water comes from what you drink and you aren't losing electrolytes.

The prep is salty because it works osmotically.
Most water uptake from what you drink happens in your intestine across a straight concentration gradient, it isn't actively pumped. Water can diffuse freely across the membrane and it moves in whichever direction equalizes solute concentration.

The solutes in the prep are ones that you don't actively uptake, so they stay in your gut. That makes the water also stay (and pull more from you if you dont drink the "you MUST drink x cups of additional fluid after each dose" extra beyond the dissolve-the-powder amount ) because the intestine side has more stuff dissolved in it than the body side.

You can still get some electrolytes problems since you won't get the water balance perfect and will lose/gain some body water, but it should be within what healthy kidneys can deal with

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nessus posted:

Congratulations. How’s ur butthole look?

Inside one large polyp removed. My hemorrhoid is still intact. No bleeding. Was a success so far. Hopefully the biopsy shows nothing.

I ate a hamburger and onion rings and a huge cup of diet soda.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

redshirt posted:

Way to go brother! Did they give you results when you were there? All good?

Waiting for the biopsy. Says it takes 2 weeks about.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what score did the doc get? s rank?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

All done. Groggy. They gave me some versed and fentalyl (spelling). I was nervous then before I knew it I was in the recovery like nothing happened. I have this tendency to want to fall forward walking though. The drugs im sure.

Ah now that you mention it Versed was what I was given when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. I do remember that making me feel kinda groggy and unbalanced on my feet after. Propofol had a comparatively lesser hangover on me.

I wonder why they gave you Versed instead of Propofol.

Glad to hear it went well

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The fast food trash I ate after 24+ hours of not eating was the best fast food trash ever.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

no lie if you leave a twenty tucked in your rear end in a top hat they give it the full works

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I always ask them to blow some extra air up there so I can have some good farts the next day

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Beforehand, did you get a Fit test and what kind? Also, abnormal being positive is a good thing, right?

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The fast food trash I ate after 24+ hours of not eating was the best fast food trash ever.

I had my first colonoscopy last August. The procedure itself was easy peasy. Even drinking all that Gatorade with the laxatives was fine. I didn't even mine the liquid poo poo spraying.

The worst part was the hunger...like just thinking about food all the time like a dog. After the procedure was done that morning first thing we did was my wife took me to Wendy's. gently caress, it was so good.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Zeluth posted:

Beforehand, did you get a Fit test and what kind? Also, abnormal being positive is a good thing, right?

I didn’t even get a cardiologist clearance. They evidently didn’t think I needed it even though I had a heart attack 10 years ago.

Turned out the whole fear thing was a big ‘ol nothing burger.

I actually lost 6 pounds on the liquid making GBS threads drink. Too bad afterward I ate a massive burger and onion rings and gained it all back.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Glad it went well for you.

If you could go back into the past and respond to your OP what would you tell past Piggy a out getting your poop chute scooped?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Busters posted:

Glad it went well for you.

If you could go back into the past and respond to your OP what would you tell past Piggy a out getting your poop chute scooped?

Not to worry about it at all. The colon cleansing drink was the worst but the procedure was painless and the sedation made for a nice relaxed day and super restful night.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
No joke..... I loved it. I enjoyed the cleansing drink. I enjoyed the feeling of emptying my bowels. I had some polyps removed. The only downside was the gross feeling waking up from general anaesthetic.

Everything else was loving great.

Get flushable toilet wipes or a bidet hose.

Get clear lollies you can suck on when hungry.

E: we old y'all

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 8, 2023

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
lol sorry for the resurrection but now i need to know.... how many wet wipes am i going to need

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

lol sorry for the resurrection but now i need to know.... how many wet wipes am i going to need

I'm not a big wet wipes fan (bad for septic and sewers) but you should assume that once you've started the prep, you don't want to be far from a toilet at any time. In fact, you could just set up a desk or read a book in there for a while for more efficiency. Good luck friend, its really not that bad at all.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I wonder if it's an American thing to be put under for a colonoscopy. Here in the cold north, I was given a mild IV anesthetic and was awake for the whole thing. It was pretty chill though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't use wet wipes during mine but I gotta say, make sure when you wipe you're dabbing and not like...wiping. Your rear end in a top hat will thank me later.

I was too rough with my wiping and my rear end in a top hat was literally on fire after like the thirtieth time I shat liquid during my prep. Next time I'm gonna try to be more gentle or maybe even literally lube up lmao

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Apparently I bookmarked this thread and then didn't post in it.

I 100% recommend installing a bidet attachment, full stop. I 200% recommend doing it if you've got a colonoscopy coming up. I used a $25 attachment for years before upgrading to a $40 one in the new house. It's not a big investment and your butthole will thank you.

You probably make up the price in reduced TP use over the next 12 months anyway.

I don't have any funny stories about mine. Even the cleanse was pretty unremarkable. Not remembering it was weird as hell, though. I sympathize with Roleplaying Dad's husband.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 11, 2023

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

greatBigJerk posted:

I wonder if it's an American thing to be put under for a colonoscopy. Here in the cold north, I was given a mild IV anesthetic and was awake for the whole thing. It was pretty chill though.

Australian here and I had a general. Mine was done in a hospital. Clinics use sedation, as do hospitals on people who don't clear the general anaesthesia screening.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

None if you get a bidet. By the end of the prep I could tell that my anus would be a ragged mess if I didn't have a bidet and even with one I could tell the water was starting to chafe.

Besides the prep the worst part was the vein-finding for the anesthetic, because I think the prep dehydrates you and Level 3 Blood Nurse that they summoned to dig around after the Level 1 and 2 failed... well, she found blood but drat.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lolie posted:

Australian here and I had a general. Mine was done in a hospital. Clinics use sedation, as do hospitals on people who don't clear the general anaesthesia screening.
What I would call 'general anesthesia' (full unconsciousness, loss of reflexes like pupil dilation or coughing, limited/no spontaneous breathing, breathing tube placed with mechanical ventilation) is very rare in the US for colonscopy.

Much more common is twilight sedation, typically with propofol. You are sleepy and will have amnesia about that time. You don't lose reflexes, keep breathing on your own, and can respond if they poke/bug you enough. There will still be a dedicated person managing anesthesia (Anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist).

At least personally, general vs twilight feels different. Propofol feels like you fell asleep and then woke back up kind of groggy. General feels like an abrupt discontinuity where suddenly everything was different.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I heard that if you take less propofol than it takes to knock you out, it causes intense, erotic hallucinations. Only the lucky anesthesiologists get to know for sure, though.

Edit: I’m thinking this would be inconvenient if it happened during a colonoscopy.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 14, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

What I would call 'general anesthesia' (full unconsciousness, loss of reflexes like pupil dilation or coughing, limited/no spontaneous breathing, breathing tube placed with mechanical ventilation) is very rare in the US for colonscopy.

Much more common is twilight sedation, typically with propofol. You are sleepy and will have amnesia about that time. You don't lose reflexes, keep breathing on your own, and can respond if they poke/bug you enough. There will still be a dedicated person managing anesthesia (Anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist).

At least personally, general vs twilight feels different. Propofol feels like you fell asleep and then woke back up kind of groggy. General feels like an abrupt discontinuity where suddenly everything was different.

I had propofol for my colonoscopy and while that is just twilight sedation it did gently caress with my sense of time such that when I woke up I felt like no time had passed. I did feel quite refreshed though. When I had my wisdom teeth out I had Versed which felt similar to Propofol although not as good. Versed made me feel real unsteady on my feet afterwards...like I was drunk almost. Same weird hosed up sense of no time passing between being administered it and waking up though. I liked the feeling of Propofol much better and I didn't feel like as groggy or uncoordinated with it afterwards, which was nice.

I've never had general anesthesia so I can't comment on how that feels in comparison. I will say that both of my experiences with Twilight Sedation felt quite different than just going to sleep. When I go to sleep and wake up I feel like I have some sense of time passing upon waking up. Like my body has an internal clock or something. But with the Twilight Sedation both times I had it I woke up feeling like I had just been given the drugs a second ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Japan they lube your butt up and go in for the kill, none of this weak western twilight sedation

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

In Japan they lube your butt up and go in for the kill, none of this weak western twilight sedation

I feel like the practitioner performing the procedure should gruffly shout something right as it happens, like a cartoon samurai. Then the patient's eyes should widen and a single kanji should hover by their head.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

zero, get a bidet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Echoing the "get a bidet" sentiment.

We installed one 6 years ago when we remodeled our bathroom and it is really is a huge quality of life improvement.

That sounds really weird, but it's 100% true.