Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

…I’ll like it. In all seriousness anyone go through the procedure? I’m afraid to get sedated since I’m afraid I won’t wake up and I also hate that feeling minutes after when you don’t know where you are at.

Any other procedures (health related) you goons have gone through that were scary for you? How did it go? Glad or sorry you did it?

I had my first one this year. The prep wasn't fun, but the procedure itself was pretty chill. They put me under with Propofol. Previously I had done twilight sleep for my wisdom teeth getting taken out with...I forget the drug, but not Propofol. But both sedations felt similar to me. The Propofol will knock you right out and you'll wake up what feels like minutes later and you'll be all done. And feel pretty refreshed.

The post colonoscopy meal rules. You'll enjoy that a lot.

Here's how mine went:

1) After waiting they called me in the back to prep me. They put me in a gown that had easy access to my anus.

2) I got into a bed on a cart, and they tucked me in and made me comfortable. Got the iv ready and all that poo poo.

3) They wheeled me into the room for the procedure and the anesthesiologist made small talk with me and told me he was gonna turn on the drugs in a moment. I said go right ahead and then the next thing I knew I was waking up and it was all done and then I went and ate a buncha food.

I definitely understand the reservations about going under. I had the same ones when I had to get my wisdom teeth out and then again had a little bit of anxiety about doing it for the colonoscopy. But it's not bad. It is weird as gently caress because when you wake up you feel like no time has passed. I don't get the same sensation after waking up from sleeping, but sedation drugs make me think that going under must be what death is like except I guess when you die you don't wake up again.

That's my story OP. Good luck with your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

All done. Groggy. They gave me some versed and fentalyl (spelling). I was nervous then before I knew it I was in the recovery like nothing happened. I have this tendency to want to fall forward walking though. The drugs im sure.

Ah now that you mention it Versed was what I was given when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. I do remember that making me feel kinda groggy and unbalanced on my feet after. Propofol had a comparatively lesser hangover on me.

I wonder why they gave you Versed instead of Propofol.

Glad to hear it went well

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't use wet wipes during mine but I gotta say, make sure when you wipe you're dabbing and not like...wiping. Your rear end in a top hat will thank me later.

I was too rough with my wiping and my rear end in a top hat was literally on fire after like the thirtieth time I shat liquid during my prep. Next time I'm gonna try to be more gentle or maybe even literally lube up lmao

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

What I would call 'general anesthesia' (full unconsciousness, loss of reflexes like pupil dilation or coughing, limited/no spontaneous breathing, breathing tube placed with mechanical ventilation) is very rare in the US for colonscopy.

Much more common is twilight sedation, typically with propofol. You are sleepy and will have amnesia about that time. You don't lose reflexes, keep breathing on your own, and can respond if they poke/bug you enough. There will still be a dedicated person managing anesthesia (Anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist).

At least personally, general vs twilight feels different. Propofol feels like you fell asleep and then woke back up kind of groggy. General feels like an abrupt discontinuity where suddenly everything was different.

I had propofol for my colonoscopy and while that is just twilight sedation it did gently caress with my sense of time such that when I woke up I felt like no time had passed. I did feel quite refreshed though. When I had my wisdom teeth out I had Versed which felt similar to Propofol although not as good. Versed made me feel real unsteady on my feet afterwards...like I was drunk almost. Same weird hosed up sense of no time passing between being administered it and waking up though. I liked the feeling of Propofol much better and I didn't feel like as groggy or uncoordinated with it afterwards, which was nice.

I've never had general anesthesia so I can't comment on how that feels in comparison. I will say that both of my experiences with Twilight Sedation felt quite different than just going to sleep. When I go to sleep and wake up I feel like I have some sense of time passing upon waking up. Like my body has an internal clock or something. But with the Twilight Sedation both times I had it I woke up feeling like I had just been given the drugs a second ago.