Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Sedation is not anaesthesia. I also dislike being rendered unconscious, but the sedation for my colonoscopy was super good and relaxing; you're awake, but nothing bothers you.

It's always better to know than not know, and if you knew anything at all about the effects of colon cancer and how it'll gently caress your life up even if you survive it, you wouldn't be so squeamish.

The prep varies. Mine tasted like flat Sprite that someone had added a teaspoon of salt to; not desirable as a beverage, but not that hard to get down. Chilling it helps, apparently. The laxative effect is extremely rapid, it passes through you in about a minute.

Don't accidentally eat or drink anything after the times you're given, in fact, follow the instructions to the letter.

When I had mine, I was totally out, gone to the world. The whole procedure was painless and easy, like others have said, it's the prep that can be difficult. But if one is afraid of getting knocked out I don't have any words of comfort other than it seems preferable to being awake for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

Thank you goons. I think my fear is exacerbated by the heart attack I had exactly 10 years ago. The feeling of being awake one minute then….black….then “where the f am I???!!” I figure the gastroenterologist knows I had a heart attack and will relay that fact to the anesthesiologist as will I.

I also have an external hemorrhoid and had mentioned it in passing during my initial visit.

I had told the doctor I was deathly afraid and I guess I worried him about my anxiety so he wanted me to just do the test where you poop in a bottle send it to the lab (cologuard?) I read it isn’t as exact and that you need to do it every 3 years. So I called him back and told him I’d go through with being sedated and having the procedure.

I’ll update you guys for sure the evening of Thursday. Call me stupid but I literally thought I could go to work right after. I guess not.

Good luck! And just stay near a toilet on prep day, and relax as much as possible on test day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No prep day updates from the shitter?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Side effects: Anal leakage

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's the intended primary effect isn't it?

I was making an "Olestra" joke.

Yeah, but also one you should be aware of and try to prevent if possible, IMO.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

All done. Groggy. They gave me some versed and fentalyl (spelling). I was nervous then before I knew it I was in the recovery like nothing happened. I have this tendency to want to fall forward walking though. The drugs im sure.

Way to go brother! Did they give you results when you were there? All good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

lol sorry for the resurrection but now i need to know.... how many wet wipes am i going to need

I'm not a big wet wipes fan (bad for septic and sewers) but you should assume that once you've started the prep, you don't want to be far from a toilet at any time. In fact, you could just set up a desk or read a book in there for a while for more efficiency. Good luck friend, its really not that bad at all.