Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Split prep (two batches separated by 4 hours) is easier, and also works better, so that's good.

Sedationwise you may also get something to relax you. When I get them (had a lot, crohn's), there's usually a point in the setup where they've wheeled me into the room and done all the positioning/iv tinkering/whatever I actually need to participate in, and then I just take a nap. It's real easy to just fall normally asleep under propofol. It's consciousness sedation, but you can still just intentionally go to sleep

e: fridge the second half of the prep if you haven't already. Cold tastes less salty and gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

flubber nuts posted:

if everyone could have such a humbling empowering experience i think the world would be a better place.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lobsterboy posted:

unironically why the prep sludge is incredibly salty, or why you can use gatorade - its just electrolytes and salts to replenish everything your body just evacuated out. yeehaw.
If everything is working right, the rinse water comes from what you drink and you aren't losing electrolytes.

The prep is salty because it works osmotically.
Most water uptake from what you drink happens in your intestine across a straight concentration gradient, it isn't actively pumped. Water can diffuse freely across the membrane and it moves in whichever direction equalizes solute concentration.

The solutes in the prep are ones that you don't actively uptake, so they stay in your gut. That makes the water also stay (and pull more from you if you dont drink the "you MUST drink x cups of additional fluid after each dose" extra beyond the dissolve-the-powder amount ) because the intestine side has more stuff dissolved in it than the body side.

You can still get some electrolytes problems since you won't get the water balance perfect and will lose/gain some body water, but it should be within what healthy kidneys can deal with

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lolie posted:

Australian here and I had a general. Mine was done in a hospital. Clinics use sedation, as do hospitals on people who don't clear the general anaesthesia screening.
What I would call 'general anesthesia' (full unconsciousness, loss of reflexes like pupil dilation or coughing, limited/no spontaneous breathing, breathing tube placed with mechanical ventilation) is very rare in the US for colonscopy.

Much more common is twilight sedation, typically with propofol. You are sleepy and will have amnesia about that time. You don't lose reflexes, keep breathing on your own, and can respond if they poke/bug you enough. There will still be a dedicated person managing anesthesia (Anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist).

At least personally, general vs twilight feels different. Propofol feels like you fell asleep and then woke back up kind of groggy. General feels like an abrupt discontinuity where suddenly everything was different.