Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I had mine less than a month ago!

The ball started rolling in late May. I had a physical to go to Cub Scout camp with my son. My primary care doctor noted, "The new recommendation for a colonoscopy is 45, and since you're 50, I'm ordering you one".

Coincidentally, the very next day my sister called me, audibly shaken. For similar reasons of age, she cajoled my brother-in-law (same age as me and more active) to have one done this year to and found that he had colon cancer. Despite the modern treatments, I, my sister, and my mother all grew up with "colon cancer is a death sentence" so my attitude I went from "Oh, sure I'll get it no problem" to actively calling the hospital to schedule instead of waiting for them to call me. And mildly stressed through the summer.

(my BIL had surgery to remove the cancer and has been going through chemo all summer)

The most annoying part of the prep was the no-fiber diet. The idea of eating an "American diet" of white bread, cottage cheese, and seemingly junk-food-is-ok was oddly non-trivial for me to pull off. The pre-day laxative prep was not as bad as I expected.

Pro Tip 1: Once you take your laxatives, DO NOT TRUST A FART.
Pro Tip 2: Stop wiping, only dab for the rest of the day. Even then your anus will be very sore.

The procedure went off fine. Did not remember a thing about it. In the end I had some pre-cancerous polypus removed.

While the claim seems to be, "can't predict cancer!" I feel like what's in my colon is there because of what I'm putting in my mouth. I feel eat "fairly" healthy, but there's always room for improvement so I'm making some adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Ignore me. Meant to edit, not quote.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Torquemada posted:

It's always better to know than not know, and if you knew anything at all about the effects of colon cancer and how it'll gently caress your life up even if you survive it, you wouldn't be so squeamish.
As I began my preparation last month, an acquaintance "knowingly" laughed and asked, "Hah, how's it going with your diet?"

This person is squeamish about the whole process ranging from generally pooping, to the idea of preparation, and the actual procedure itself. More than a few times they regaled me with a tale of their mother's first colonoscopy about 15 years ago. To hear my acquaintance talk ("Ugh! The running to the bathroom! The SMELLS!") you would think it happened to them, and not their mother.

So I responded that that it was of course fine. It wasn't pleasant but not the worst thing I've ever done to myself. And given the low level stress I had all summer over my brother in law's diagnosis, I would be relieved to know the results, good or bad.

To that, they loudly stated they would NEVER have a colonoscopy. That the whole process was gross and they'd rather die of cancer than endure any part of it.

I had nothing to say to them about that.

But you may notice I refer to this individual as an "acquaintance". They are more someone to be endured in my life than someone who's company I enjoy. As such, my immediate thought was "Well, if that's what it takes to get you out of my life...."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

MoonshineWilly posted:

Oh, and the anesthesiologist gave me a high five because I actually listened and only drank coffee the morning of the procedure.
I vaguely recall the surgeon contemplating me for "thank you for doing the prep" or otherwise being "clear".

Like, that was the instructions, why wouldn't---oh right, this is America.

Hollismason posted:

Honestly you should be more worried that you are going to embarrass yourself by blasting rope jet spraying light yellow water from your rear end during the exam which is something that happens in a small number of cases when people get colonscopies.
FTFY

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Oddly enough, my rear end was sore from the night before right up to the procedure. I could tell it was no longer irritated and it remained that way a few hours after I was completely out of the drug haze.

I want to believe the doctor, seeing how red and irritated it was, after she finished the procedure, dabbed some Vaseline on it and gave it a kiss before I was wheeled back.