Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Khans

Also the lady who fucks you if you give her 20 jumpers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The tunnel snakes are so called because they give their enemies unnecessary colonoscopies

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

unnecessary colonoscopies

Doesn't exist.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Taking my robot dog on a pilgrimage to teabag the corpse of johnny 5 aces, best fallout game.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Yes Man. I can't think of any other RPG I've played where you can look at all the other factions and decide, nope, it's ME time.

I played the whole game and all the expansions and never found The Enclave because I think I never bothered to keep the NPC doctor in my party.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
The Followers of the Apocalypse are the best faction, but they don't really have a militant way to hold the dam, so you can't side with them over the big 4.

As far as main factions, I'd go House. Sure, he's basically Elon Musk as portrayed by Rene Auberjonois, but he'll keep NV independent and create a safe space for the Followers.

Keeping the dam would actually be pretty awful for the NCR. Their resources are stretched thin as-is, so having this huge settlement so far from Shady sands would stretch their already shaky supply lines to the breaking point. Their BoS-like obsession with maintaining the institutions of the old world is terrible, and doomed to eventual failure.

Everything goes to poo poo for the Followers if you pick Yes-Man. Hard pass, unfortunately.

gently caress Sallow and the Legion. When his brain tumor finally takes him, Legate Lanius will usher in a new age of totalitarian brutality, for basically no reason

I'll have a large baconator combo, coke to drink, chili instead of fries

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
NCR, cause I'm an Institutionalist.

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
I love how people still discuss the factions in this game all these years later.

New California Republic

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Independent is the best faction. If only because you can remove all control from mr House but leave him alive.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Freedom is the best faction

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

Space Kablooey posted:

Independent is the best faction. If only because you can remove all control from mr House but leave him alive.

It's so hosed up too, it says it will take him about a year to die from microbial.

He literally has to stay strapped to that device, unable to do anything except wait to die, for a whole year.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I never left the starting village. Sat in the bar, drank sarsaparilla. Played Caravan with the Caravan guy on fridays.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

cumpantry posted:

sucks obsidian didnt have enough time to make the caesar controlled settlements east of the dam, pretty much the only thing going for their brutal warfare is the supposed safety and satisfaction of the people they conquer (or don't enslave?)

i mean theyre still meant to be the bad guys but hey id at least appreciate some kinda compelling argument for why i'm supposed to butcher the mojave for caesar

First time through FNV I'm playing a female courier. Dude named Vulpes has invited me to go to Caesar's camp and discuss me possibly siding with him. We have the convo and I don't turn him down initially, wanting to keep my options open and decide later which faction to choose. Afterwards I find his camp vendor, which is a woman wearing rags. Hmmm. Then the following exchange takes place-

"A free woman. It's... been awhile since I've seen a woman who wasn't a slave. I forget myself - are you injured?"
-How are women treated around here?
"We're property. If you're too young or too old, the men usually leave you alone. Usually. You ought to be careful, yourself. I overheard some of the Legionaries talking about "trying you out."

I then exited the conversation, pulled out my rifle, and killed everyone in the Legion camp except her. I've never been able to bring myself to side with them in later playthroughs. Even playing a male courier one of the legionaries always ends up saying something gross about slaves or women or both and I just gotta murder them all over again.

Action-Bastard posted:

Also, I love going into the Legion camp across the river and killing everyone, including Ceasar. Powder Gangers too, I snipe everyone outside the prison and then go inside and shotgun the rest.

Also this.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

First time through FNV I'm playing a female courier. Dude named Vulpes has invited me to go to Caesar's camp and discuss me possibly siding with him. We have the convo and I don't turn him down initially, wanting to keep my options open and decide later which faction to choose. Afterwards I find his camp vendor, which is a woman wearing rags. Hmmm. Then the following exchange takes place-

"A free woman. It's... been awhile since I've seen a woman who wasn't a slave. I forget myself - are you injured?"
"We're property. If you're too young or too old, the men usually leave you alone. Usually. You ought to be careful, yourself. I overheard some of the Legionaries talking about "trying you out."

I then exited the conversation, pulled out my rifle, and killed everyone in the Legion camp except her. I've never been able to bring myself to side with them in later playthroughs. Even playing a male courier one of the legionaries always ends up saying something gross about slaves or women or both and I just gotta murder them all over again.

Also this.

I love when the New Vegas thread in games debates the pros and cons of the legion because there's always a couple posters who start saying "When you think about it Caesars Legion maybe is better than the NCR"

Last time I asked if anyone saying this was a woman and I never got a decent response, but I already knew the answer lol

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Space Kablooey posted:

I usually give him a tune-up via a 5-Iron upside the cranium. Rene Auberjonois does such a great job with that character though.

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

Also this.

That is the most correct way to go about the fort.

Punkinhead posted:

I love when the New Vegas thread in games debates the pros and cons of the legion because there's always a couple posters who start saying "When you think about it Caesars Legion maybe is better than the NCR"

Last time I asked if anyone saying this was a woman and I never got a decent response, but I already knew the answer lol

Only groups I know that actually try to justify the legion are literal kids, edgelords, and literal fascists.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I usually give him a tune-up via a 5-Iron upside the cranium. Rene Auberjonois does such a great job with that character though.

i think thats too light of a sentence for a captain of industry like him. Rene does do an amazing job though! I hate that character so much and im 50-50 whether thats on the writing or on the VA!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hello there. It's good to see a friendly face. Almost took you for a raider, I did.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 5, 2023

sad question
May 30, 2020

You have to really work to convince yourself Legion is anything but terrible. The merchant in their camp says territory controlled them by peaceful but also admits in the same conversation that someone from legion killed his brahmin for no reason

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

JustCallMeDC posted:

I love how people still discuss the factions in this game all these years later.

New California Republic

The new vegas thread in Games has been active for like 12 years and still goes through the same handful of cyclical discussions about the factions. Rope kid still pops in sometimes

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I can see people siding with house because he is competent and is system is more human than whatever the gently caress the Legion is.

The only good thing about The Legion that we can see is the Pax Romana, but the price of that peace is way to high and is the same as being under raider control at the end of the day.

I mean even if you like Caser, the second he die it's going to be like the Dark Age in his "kingdom" where lords will fight each other for the control of the empire.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Bleusilences posted:

I can see people siding with house because he is competent and is system is more human than whatever the gently caress the Legion is.

The only good thing about The Legion that we can see is the Pax Romana, but the price of that peace is way to high and is the same as being under raider control at the end of the day.

I mean even if you like Caser, the second he die it's going to be like the Dark Age in his "kingdom" where lords will fight each other for the control of the empire.

pax romana the actual one was a period of relative prosperity wherein countless individual towns and cities were capable of flourishing since there were no nearby enemies to fight and every road is heavily travelled and open for trade

the pax romana they portray in new vegas is more like a scorched earth where nothing exists except debased merchants and sex farms. its not even attractive to consider. only caesar claims it to be a shining example of the legion's protection. he's also basically rush limbaugh so that tracks.

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

GolfHole posted:

pax romana the actual one was a period of relative prosperity wherein countless individual towns and cities were capable of flourishing since there were no nearby enemies to fight and every road is heavily travelled and open for trade

the pax romana they portray in new vegas is more like a scorched earth where nothing exists except debased merchants and sex farms. its not even attractive to consider. only caesar claims it to be a shining example of the legion's protection. he's also basically rush limbaugh so that tracks.

Also iirc, the game pretty much implies the legion will fall apart once Caeser is dead, which is the biggest thorn against the idea they'll bring stability.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only person who says that the Legion might survive after Caesar is Boone when he talks about lines of succession. But Boone isn't exactly the most educated fella and it doesn't really matter to him if they fall or flourish so long as he can put crimson in his sights.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The only correct choice is the "Me" option.

The NCR is weak and corrupt from over expansion and needs a period of consolidation. Handing the Mojave to them is just going to make everything worse.

The Legion are a bunch of disgusting slavers and are doomed to collapse once either a) Caesar dies or b) they run out of lands to conquer, whichever comes first.

Mr. House looks like a better bet, but he has no plan beyond getting off the planet ASAP.

So that leaves me.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I instinctively don't trust the NCR because on my first playthrough (first Fallout game) I kept stepping on frag mines in Primm near the NCR camp and I didn't understand that they were landmines. I thought the NCR was shooting me for some unknown reason so I teamed up with House because he was sort of nice to me after all the bullshit I had been through once I finally got to the strip.

My NV experience was very immersive in the sense that I didn't understand what was going on a lot of the time and I was manipulated into obedience by a egomaniac.

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

The Meth Heads.

Oh! NEW Vegas. No idea..

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

MackAddie posted:

The Meth Heads.

Oh! NEW Vegas. No idea..

Still in New Vegas they're just called Fiends

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I instinctively don't trust the NCR because on my first playthrough (first Fallout game) I kept stepping on frag mines in Primm near the NCR camp and I didn't understand that they were landmines. I thought the NCR was shooting me for some unknown reason so I teamed up with House because he was sort of nice to me after all the bullshit I had been through once I finally got to the strip.

My NV experience was very immersive in the sense that I didn't understand what was going on a lot of the time and I was manipulated into obedience by a egomaniac.

Thats like how I've never played the empire side in Skyrim because they try to cut your head off at the start

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my favorite way to deal with Cottonwood Cove is to lockpick the chest in the Sniper's Nest then use the Gobi campaign scout rifle to kill every single Legionnaire from the tower where Boone shot his wife

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Haverchuck posted:

Thats like how I've never played the empire side in Skyrim because they try to cut your head off at the start

I think it would be more like you never siding with the empire because bandits killed you with arrows while you were looking at whiterun

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Hello there. It's good to see a friendly face. Almost took you for a raider, I did.

Source

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Presto posted:

The only correct choice is the "Me" option.

The NCR is weak and corrupt from over expansion and needs a period of consolidation. Handing the Mojave to them is just going to make everything worse.

The Legion are a bunch of disgusting slavers and are doomed to collapse once either a) Caesar dies or b) they run out of lands to conquer, whichever comes first.

Mr. House looks like a better bet, but he has no plan beyond getting off the planet ASAP.

So that leaves me.

Odo it is

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I imagine the NCRs quite nice place to live, but being out in the middle of nowhere doing quests for hillbillies and gunning down methheads it's easy to be convinced otherwise.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It'd almost be like basing your opinion on the United States entirely on the thoughts and views of people who live in rural Nevada.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Yeah, but in Saudi Arabia you can leave your front door unlocked, come back three days later and find that nothing has been stolen!!!

Another thing legion fans never point out is that almost everyone - maybe not Caesar himself - is expendable. They also use child soldiers even if you don't fight them in the game because the morality police would have a field day with that, probably the same reason why children are indestructible in Skyrim.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Beartaco posted:

I imagine the NCRs quite nice place to live, but being out in the middle of nowhere doing quests for hillbillies and gunning down methheads it's easy to be convinced otherwise.

Sounds like a good time imo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Valko posted:

Yeah, but in Saudi Arabia you can leave your front door unlocked, come back three days later and find that nothing has been stolen!!!

Another thing legion fans never point out is that almost everyone - maybe not Caesar himself - is expendable. They also use child soldiers even if you don't fight them in the game because the morality police would have a field day with that, probably the same reason why children are indestructible in Skyrim.

now that I'm an old bitter man i'm comfortable saying that every nation in the world already uses child soldiers. namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Valko posted:

They also use child soldiers even if you don't fight them in the game because the morality police would have a field day with that, probably the same reason why children are indestructible in Skyrim.

You could kill kids in Fallout and Fallout 2.
They had to remove kids from both games to release them in Europe.