Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Why did you post this? Everyone already knows the poo poo they're doing on mobile with Diablo Immortal and knew much more was coming. Is there any reason I should care about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Diablo more like Ya Blow

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

Has anyone even played a phone game?

Can a compulsion be considered playing?

great big cardboard tube posted:

Why did you post this? Everyone already knows the poo poo they're doing on mobile with Diablo Immortal and knew much more was coming. Is there any reason I should care about this?

To get more Something Awful points. Not to be confused with Something Awful tokens, which are different than SAbucks. It's very simple.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Ok so it's literally just they kept doing the thing they already did and said they would continue doing. They suck I just don't think it needed a thread or further discussion :shrug:

I was hoping there was something special about it

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 4, 2023

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

quote:

collectible Minis come to life

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ok so it's literally just they kept doing the thing they already did and said they would continue doing. They suck I just don't think it needed a thread or further discussion :shrug:

I was hoping there was something special about it

Wow thanks for this post otherwise I wouldn't know that poo poo will continue to be poo poo and we should not discuss the poo poo thing. Lol.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

If you had any faith in blizzard before they announced this, the dummy is you. It's the exact same poo poo they have already been doing and have literally told the public they will continue to do. So I don't find it very interesting. I guess talk amongst yourselves if you're shocked and I'll leave you to it and gently caress off elsewhere

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Mobile games make crazy amounts of money. Blizzard have been refining all sorts of scummy tricks to keep people hooked for over a decade now all for a measly 15 dollar monthly subscription and the odd cosmetics. IMO, they'd be fools not to use all they've learned from WoW and Overwatch and take it to the big leagues.

I mean, what else are they going to do? "Make good games that are fun to play"?

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 4, 2023

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I;m collecting thos Minis

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Mobile games make crazy amounts of money.

They do, and I don't think most people realize how much. King's income is >150% of Blizzard's, and they do it with Candy Crush alone, a game that hasn't been "popular" in nearly a decade.

Activision desperately wants Blizzard to have a similar low effort money printing machine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol blizzard and their phone games

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If you had any faith in blizzard before they announced this, the dummy is you. It's the exact same poo poo they have already been doing and have literally told the public they will continue to do. So I don't find it very interesting. I guess talk amongst yourselves if you're shocked and I'll leave you to it and gently caress off elsewhere

I too keep posting in threads that I find the topic boring. Wait no I don't because that's a weird thing to do and I'm a super cool and not weird person.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 4, 2023

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

It's going to change how we play games on our phones. It's going to change gaming forever. Everything's going to be different after this. I hope you're ready.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I can already feel my mind evolving just thinking about playing Blizzard Warcraft on my phone. My brain is literally growing. The shape of my skull is changing.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
blizzard was pretty good 20 years ago

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Extra row of tits posted:

Remember that hilarious video from blizzard con where they announced Diablo the phone game and then got laughed at and mocked endlessly with every players question during the live Q & A being some variant of “Why do you think we want this poo poo?”

then all the articles right after saying the gamers were entitled and racist for not liking it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pencilhands posted:

then all the articles right after saying the gamers were entitled and racist for not liking it

I can absolutely approve of open disgust towards gamers but you can do that without being an industry suck up.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 5, 2023

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

biznatchio posted:

They do, and I don't think most people realize how much. King's income is >150% of Blizzard's, and they do it with Candy Crush alone, a game that hasn't been "popular" in nearly a decade.

Activision desperately wants Blizzard to have a similar low effort money printing machine.

The thing is, I'm sure there's all kinds of business-brained backroom meetings about leveraging the highly-valuable Warcraft IP to match Candy Crush, but does anyone who's not already bought in really give a crap anymore? All my friends who were deep into WoW started burning out after Wrath of the Lich King, the first time.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
As much as I'd like to hope it'll flop; it won't. It'll be profitable because there are enough lookyloo WoW fans who will download it and give it a try to give it a boost up the Top Downloaded Apps lists where it'll get visibility to people not in the Blizzard Bubble, and at that point the IP attached to it doesn't really matter. They're not relying on the WoW IP for long term viability, just for some extra visibility to rise above the muck.

Really the only way it fails to turn a profit is if they just completely get the balance of gameplay versus ruthlessly exploiting the users for money wrong and turn off their potential whales before they get emotionally invested in the game -- which is actually not totally outside the realm of possibility if it came to Blizzard alone because Blizzard has been absolute poo poo at monetization strategies lately; but the experts at King will have had their fingers in this and most likely kept things on track enough to make a game that'll hook in some whales.

But I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this and for it to fail miserably.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 5, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

biznatchio posted:

As much as I'd like to hope it'll flop; it won't. It'll be profitable because there are enough lookyloo WoW fans who will download it and give it a try to give it a boost up the Top Downloaded Apps lists where it'll get visibility to people not in the Blizzard Bubble, and at that point the IP attached to it doesn't really matter.

Really the only way it fails to turn a profit is if they just completely get the balance of gameplay versus ruthlessly exploiting the users for money wrong -- which is actually not totally outside the realm of possibility if it came to Blizzard alone; but the experts at King will have had their fingers in this and most likely kept things on track enough to make a game that'll hook in some whales.

I'm not sure a company like Blizzard could make a non profitable game. No matter how bad it is. No matter how exploitive it is. No matter how much they abuse their employees. No matter how much they show disdain for their customers. It doesn't matter and they know it.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'll just play another 500 hours of slay the spire when I'm outside smoking

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

what do you think a general discussion forum is for sonny?!!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's extremely important for other people to know that you don't plan on playing a certain upcoming video game

If you were a gamer you'd understand

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

istewart posted:

I;m collecting thos Minis

not before me fucker, i got my cc number memorised

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

that's a weird thing to do and I'm a super cool and not weird person.

not true BTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

blizzard peaked with the 3 dwarfs game