Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Mobile games make crazy amounts of money.

They do, and I don't think most people realize how much. King's income is >150% of Blizzard's, and they do it with Candy Crush alone, a game that hasn't been "popular" in nearly a decade.

Activision desperately wants Blizzard to have a similar low effort money printing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
As much as I'd like to hope it'll flop; it won't. It'll be profitable because there are enough lookyloo WoW fans who will download it and give it a try to give it a boost up the Top Downloaded Apps lists where it'll get visibility to people not in the Blizzard Bubble, and at that point the IP attached to it doesn't really matter. They're not relying on the WoW IP for long term viability, just for some extra visibility to rise above the muck.

Really the only way it fails to turn a profit is if they just completely get the balance of gameplay versus ruthlessly exploiting the users for money wrong and turn off their potential whales before they get emotionally invested in the game -- which is actually not totally outside the realm of possibility if it came to Blizzard alone because Blizzard has been absolute poo poo at monetization strategies lately; but the experts at King will have had their fingers in this and most likely kept things on track enough to make a game that'll hook in some whales.

But I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this and for it to fail miserably.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 5, 2023