Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for making me aware this game exists, a generic jRPG boiled down to nicely polished mechanics seems like exactly what I need right now. Also probably tailor-made for FF5 fiesta fans.

Not gonna red the thread until I catch up, but might drop in and out once in a while.

serefin99 posted:

Am I reading that correctly? Once you turn an assist thing on, you can't turn it back off? That... doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, enabling a given assist is permanent. Some scalable assists can be adjusted back to standard game values, some just give you an option and are irrelevant unless you actually use said option (like enabling difficulty change mid-game), some are set in stone once turned on.

I think it's just to keep you honest w/r/t achievements and such, though I'd still prefer having a "Has enabled assists" tag in the savegame for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hi thread, I'm back after getting the game for myself, putting unreasonable amounts of time into it, and exploring everything that was there to explore. And having read the updates I realized I missed like half the early game's platforming routes from before I learned what you can do by jumping and where (and by the time I learned that I already had mounts). Like I missed Mercury's Shrine entirely until I started cheesing inaccessible locations by going off-track with the rental salmon.
And I got so into the mushroom trial dungeon I totally forgot there was a crystal at the beginning and only came back once I realized the Aegis master had been suspiciously early for where I was :doh:
So now, up to date and safe from the risk of getting spoiled, I can enjoy the LP in peace start bitching about the updates being slow :v:
I may also do a randomized NG+ at some point.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who made the connection, but I'm going to mention it anyway. Tall, Tall Heights is most DEFINITELY a reference to Link's Awakening's Tal Tal Heights. Hard to miss with how on the nose it is, save that it's snowing and there's no giant egg in the center. :v
Yeah I was thinking that half the time I was playing in that region.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Someone getting the game after reading any of this LP is something I take as a badge of honour, managing to make it look interesting to folks. If you do a rando run, I think my main recommendations would be to turn off summoner/scholar/samurai randomization. Scholar and Summoner because one of their skills at the "start" of a class can lock off most of it for most of the game, Samurai because they really only work with their full tree. Also if you want to just enjoy a nice power fantasy run, turn off the weapon limitations on skills.
It was meant as such, at that point it was mostly seeing that the game would probably be very much my jam (as it turned out to be), then going on a total spoiler ban until I beat it. And now that I'm reading the LP I keep finding stuff I missed, like alternative early-game paths or the sadist trading for the rotten heads (probably not giving anything super awesome, since I 100% all item lists without knowing about that, but still).

As for NG+, I didn't plan to mess with the internals of each job, just the placement of stuff. Will probably turn off equipment limits as you say, though it'd make me go edgelord Assassin/Reaper even harder :v:

ed: as for adventure direction, I vote for Meat Boss :btroll: and Meat Tunnel :pervert:.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 19, 2024

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Man, gently caress Slip Glide Ride. I skipped most of it the first time around and going back to grab stuff to fill the item compendium only vindicated that decision. There are way nastier sections, but still. A very appropriately named episode.

Still, nice to see how some jumps I had unreasonable amount of trouble with are supposed to be done... long after I did that part :shepicide:

(also, you didn't show the one with sliding/falling onto an ice block with pre-charged goat jump)

Ravenson posted:

*stares sadly from the backseat of the car*
Are we there yet?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I would say there are only two sections that I had more trouble with, one of them because it relies very much on timing, the second because a fuckup will actually set you back appreciably. But, you know, you'll hear my wailing and sobbing when we get there.
I immediately knew which second section you were talking about and the mere thought of it makes me seethe even now.

Also, is Radiance ever available as an enemy drop or something? I know for a fact that I had one due to 100% item completion, but I have no recollection of finding that iceblock-in-a-wall secret.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It feels weird watching you navigate Jidamba with an owl. Partly because I got there without one in the first place, partly because I found the megavines surprisingly hard to navigate (probably the perspective plus random height changes?) and every time you fall it's a long way back up, so I ended up using the goat (super nice for precision jumping since you can lock yourself in place before you jump).

And here's the split second I got sad about Chloe committing suicide before I remembered there's no fall damage in this game in general.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Fierce Stance makes their already-swingy axe attacks even swingier, but is a gamble since it also increases the chance of low damage swings.
IIRC high-variance builds rely on the fact that damage cannot go below 0%, so you crank the swinginess up to 11 and get like 0-300% roll variance, plus luck. In theory. I dislike variance builds so I never bothered to check that out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
gently caress, I remember fighting Anubis. First I had a pretty bad luck in his elemental rerolls, then after setting up a Meteor-proof defense he went :byewhore: and didn't cast it at all. I was like "OK, so that just happened, but what exactly happened?"

Combined with the turd that was the entrance (I got the inner clues, but I'm not sure how you were supposed to find the entrance except for trying out every single suspiciously mobile spot - and I'm not sure I had the owl at the time? which made the whole thing a PITA) plus the magic-only restriction kicking me out of my comfort zone, it made for a place I beat, was happy to cross off the to-do list, and never revisited again except to map the roof much later (nice to know a glide from Callisto can reach there though).

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 30, 2024

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

It's also noteworthy that while there are anti-sleep and anti-poison items, there's no paralysis-immunity item.
Only if you're picky enough to want immunity to just paralysis, but not to other conditions.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Einwand posted:

I also did that one endgame dungeon without doing any of the quintar racing or breeding and regret nothing.
If you mean that one near that one racing track, that can only mean you're already a broken shell of a man long since devoid of any ability to feel regret.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

There's one more even funnier fact about it, but it's one best left for the absolute end/postgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I 100%ed the game but you've shown me things I missed time and again so I vote hidden loo-

-haha no gently caress your sanity, raptor grinding it is.

also looking forward to you showing me shortcuts and time-savers and making ME go insane from the shame of grinding that poo poo

(the rest is for you to feel better after that loving chore)

ed: I explored everything I could including like half of Jidamba on the rental salmon trying to get inside or reach the shrine the "conventional" way since walk -> swim -> fly is the one true jRPG transport progression and nobody would do otherwise, right?

Also the open ocean turning from HERE BE SEA SKIMMERS, CERTAIN DEATH AWAITS zone marked with a row of skulls into a grinding spot was the biggest milestone in the game for me. Especially given the above.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 15, 2024