Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I, too, will be voting for Scholar.

Also, a thing that I think is worth bringing up is that one of the bullet points is "nothing is permanently missable." So while bringing along someone to scan and someone to steal when fighting bosses helps, because you get that information quickly and can use that item right away, actually buying the things you missed is pretty expensive. Stealing is also useful for dealing with various trash enemies, because keeping stocked on consumables can be a bit of a strain on your wallet.

But the talk of "here's debuffs you need" does bring up my one big complaint about this game: there is no generic "item" command available to everybody, so you can't use that as an emergency source of whatever you need. If you want healing, or scanning, or stealing, you must bring someone who has that in their skill sets, and you can bring a maximum of eight (four primary, four secondary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

At least gathering Monster Magic isn't too bad, because if "give everyone the Learn Monster Magic skill" isn't in the cards (and at 25 points, it may not be!), you can flip everyone to Scholar for long enough to get the spells. And much like the Blue Mages that inspired them, it's a very versatile set that's probably got something useful in it. I always make sure my entire team has all the Scholar Stuff, if only so I only have to make one run at gathering things.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I got super lost trying to find the Warlock crystal, so I was a bit over level by the time I got to Skumparadise. I figured out very quickly "here are a bunch of fights and some platforming stuff you can use to dodge them, but due to a combination of already being overlevel and having a natural inclination towards bloodlust, I chopped through all the encounters here anyway, because gently caress 'em. :black101:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I vote go West because seeing how you handle the stuff that's way above your weight class will be interesting, and if you can hack it, then you should be able to easily handle the places you're "supposed" to be at this stage.

Also, apologies for the thunder-theft earlier when obliquely talking about the Lost & Found, but I thought "nothing is permanently missable, so you aren't required to have a thief all the time" was important enough to bring up early. :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I will vote for go to the Rolling Quintar Fields. For reasons.

As for the Smelly Gi, I think the point of that is that it's pretty good armor for this point in the game, it just has the really big downside of "you start the fight with Poison." But there's stuff that negates Poison, so put that on, and there you go.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the issues with Chemist is that one of their abilities is "inflict a random debuff on enemies." That sounds pretty cool!

The problem is that "confusion" counts as a debuff, and "confusion" means they will attack a random enemy target. So instead of swinging at your tank that you have built to grab aggro and eat poo poo, they'll swing at a random party member, which could be one of your squishy casters. This is generally not an ideal situation.

Also I am voting option C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When I saw "Nut Gobble," I thought that hey, it's a squirrel, maybe it's just a coincidence? And then I saw that the bird has "Pecker Slash." Nope, that was very intentional.