Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Haven't made it all the way through the update proper yet, but for the class writeups in the OP, it'd probably be worth mentioning the innate passives that each class has. A couple other notes:

PurpleXVI posted:

Has the downside of A) requiring you to get hit and B) still requiring mana to trigger the counter ability. You should just blast enemies instead before they hit you.

Pretty sure this bit is incorrect, though I'd agree that storm stance is pretty meh overall. Maybe if you could have multiple stances active at once so you could stack it and mind stance together...

PurpleXVI posted:

Warlock

If the appearance didn't give it away, Warlocks are Final Fantasy red mages, though they use their own selection of spells rather than just borrowing low-level Wizard and Cleric spells.

Not a correction exactly, but you didn't call any attention to this and I would be remiss if I didn't take a moment to gush about what is, imo, warlock's biggest selling point: all of their spells are instant cast. Even a short cast time can mean the difference between getting your spell off before the enemy's next turn and, uh, not doing that, especially over the course of a longer fight. Mixed magic not having to worry about that is the main thing keeping it relevant once you start learning the stronger abilities from other skill trees. The damage spells still fall off pretty hard eventually, but a heal or defensive buff (or two!) at a crucial moment never goes out of style. (Also protect and shell are genuinely just very strong effects that none of the other starting classes can replicate, and even later on there aren't that many ways to apply them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Gonna vote A. More classes = more better.

So glad I'm not the only one annoyed that platforming challenges with death pits are paradoxically easier than ones without them. It's probably my single biggest complaint about the game.

Oh, and Astley is a girl btw... I think. Parsing the character sprites is a crapshoot at the best of times, but I seem to remember other NPCs using she/her for her later on.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

No opinion on crystals, but whichever one wins, you'd better go collect Gran's treasure first. :colbert:

Shaman kind of exemplifies the issue with wizard's stances imo: there's ways to make tank mage builds work, but none of them involve actually being a wizard, and the rest of wizard's skillset is just damage, so you'd be slotting in an entire secondary just for two mutually exclusive stances and no other real synergies.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

We also get a closer look at the weird sea stadium, its purpose is still mysterious and inscrutable, but I can reveal that it's absolutely part of one of the most cheesy gamebreaking moves available to Crystal Project players.

Having recently returned to and (mostly) finished my playthrough after putting it on the backburner for a while, I was curious whether or not this was actually doable, and was overjoyed to discover that it absolutely is.

E:

Einander posted:

I don't know that I have ever found a use for Contract; there just aren't enough early sources of +HP, and later on that attack stat just doesn't cut it.

There's ways to play around having low max HP, or even make it work in your favor. With our current tools, it's as simple as, say, giving your Contract holder counter from monk, so that whenever they get hit they immediately heal back up.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 24, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

The only interesting thing about the fight is a discovery I make during it. Blitz Crush, one of the Warrior abilities is meant to hit you back with 20% of the damage you do... but with the Contract, it doesn't. I'm not sure whether it's A) because the Lifesteal from the Contract balances it out in one calculation or B) because the 100% Lifesteal affects the "Recoil" damage, too. :v: I can't really think of any way to test, but it's pretty handy.

I believe lifesteal is always applied last in any damage calculations. And I do mean always; if for some reason going through with an attack would take you to zero HP, you still end up surviving as long as you also have some amount of lifesteal.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Olesh posted:

Aegis is key for accomplishing certain types of capital-S Shenanigans,

Entrench, my beloved. :allears:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Honestly, even if you do like platforming it's probably the weakest part of the game. The way that making creative use of your options facilitates exploration is great, but the basic mechanics have some pain points that a more dedicated platformer likely would have had enough polish to avoid. Celeste this ain't.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

C, because I missed a bunch of stuff in the sewers until way later in my own playthrough and I'm curious how much of it is actually accessible this early.

IMO Lucky Dice is most useful if you're subbing Scholar on a physical class for the utility skills, since it's a direct damage spell that doesn't scale off of mind. Not the sort of thing you'll be casting all the time, but if you really need that party member to do magical damage for some reason it's probably going to be your best option.

Also, now that we can get the map for Skumparadise, something interesting to note is that it's the first area that exists on the "dungeon" layer of the world map. There's not much in this layer, and the difference between it and the "caves" layer is mostly pretty arbitrary, but one thing that I think all dungeons have in common is that they feel a lot more actively hostile to the player, at least in terms of vibes if not necessarily mechanics. There's some more cool environmental storytelling related to Skumparadise, but it'd be big spoilers to talk about now.

Einander posted:

The capital is supposedly where the demo ends, but I played the demo for like an hour and then bought the full game, so I have no idea what the exact cut-off is.

You'd think that, wouldn't you? Beating the Trials seems like it'd make a great stopping point. But no, it's still going. It's genuinely kind of insane how generous the demo is.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It's funny how Crystal Project usually puts at least a little bit of effort into not ripping off any one specific game too blatantly... and then the Boomer Society is just super obviously a Majora's Mask reference.

Uhhh B I guess.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I don't think hunter is bad, necessarily, but it's one of very few classes that imo only really works as a primary. It's honestly kind of impressive how walled in it is in its own little ecosystem. Most weapon locked skills are at least kind enough to give you two options to pick between. But not Hunter, it's bows or nothing. And it's not just bow skills that are rare, there's barely any other classes that can even equip bows, period. Hunter is literally the only one we have so far. So if you want to run hunter as a secondary, you're most likely paying a PP tax just for basic functionality, and then on top of that you need a plan to mitigate the accuracy issues. It's a lot of effort for not that much payoff compared to just... running your hunter as a hunter.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You can actually get a pretty decent finish with just a rental salmon if you really work at it. I believe I've managed fourth on one. Higher than that is probably out of the question, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Huh. I assumed that particular bulletin board message was triggered by poking around the castle yourself. Because it's totally possible to have done that already at this point.

Speaking of which, B nice, it's pretty trivial to bypass these guys by the time it matters anyway.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Magic evasion is a powerful enough effect that I'm willing to forgive a lot. I feel like you're also overestimating how high enemy hit rates get in practice; utsusemi + perfect dodge is pretty consistent IME.

Totally agreed on the elemental seals being underwhelming, though. I feel like they either need to not cost scrolls, or the status effect needs to last longer. It's just too hard to consistently get value out of one turn debuffs when they only offer offensive utility.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The ibek is my mount of choice for precision platforming. In addition to the extra height, it locks you in place while charging its jump, which makes it a lot easier to inch towards the edge of blocks without falling off.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Re: Dervish, the one wrinkle with its passive is that you need to be able to actually gain the AP; if you're already at full it doesn't do anything. Not a big deal for throughput in normal encounters, but for longer fights it's best to pair it with a class that uses AP so the battery can keep running. I've never tried it, but I imagine Monk works well. Chi burst lets you dump all your AP at once and scales off of a caster stat, and there's just enough utility in the rest of the skillset that you don't need to feel compelled to build toward mixed offenses to get your money's worth. Focus energy into a wind spell might be fun, too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...It'd be pretty funny if you actually got hit with a nonstandard game over for reaching too high a level without enough crystals.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also re: the bone trophy, reapers don't particularly care how much HP they start a fight with as long as they're consistently doing damage, especially since the stance buff means they're accumulating even more temporary HP than they would be normally.

E: imo you're selling the axe of light short; it's got perfectly reasonable caster stats for this point in the game, and I know shamans at least have axe access natively. You really don't need a hybrid setup to make it work.

(It's probably also one of the best weapons around for a variance scholar build, but that's getting into much more niche territory.)

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 30, 2024

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think they're talking about the other chest in that house? Which yeah, that one took me loving forever to figure out. Here's a hint: Talk to the goat again, and watch him carefully.

IIRC it didn't even have anything that exciting inside.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I have an enormous grudge against Tall Tall Heights for being a huge, sprawling area that's a pain in the rear end to navigate without a map. A map that iirc I literally did not stumble into until after beating the final boss.

Assassin is weird. It's literally the only class that has mutually exclusive weapon skills, and that's an interesting concept! ...But in practice you can just stick to a dagger, have access to everything except harm memory (which is bad anyway), and call it a day. Axes do at least get you most of the important stuff, if that works better with your secondary.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Great Whites are reasonably tanky single-target attackers with a strange AI quirk. No matter what I manage to taunt them into targeting with Threat, they always attack Charity anyway. I have no idea why.

Gonna take a stab in the dark on this one: You know targeting gets locked in when an attack starts charging, right?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The main draw of Beastmaster is if you're doing a variance build, since it comes with some baked in. But the skills themselves are kind of immaterial to that, yeah. (Other than the stance that gives you even more variance, of course.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kinda surprised you haven't already picked up Nomad tbh.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'd argue that other magic classes being good actually adds to the value that Summoner provides as a strong chassis for caster builds. Classes in general feel pretty feature complete on their own. That means you can make a Summoner/X (or X/Summoner), have a coherent gameplan for day to day courtesy of whatever X is... and also a bunch of powerful oh poo poo panic buttons in your back pocket if you need them.

Personally I'm partial to Warlock/Summoner for the full contrast of low cost, low impact vs. high cost, high impact.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I do think getting up to River Cat's Ego on the rental salmon is "intended" in a way that other Salmon Sprint shenanigans aren't, based on Nomad's position in the class order. The quiz fish being redundant if you already have the owl feels like another point towards that.

Pre-echoing that I'm far, far higher on Nomad than you are. There's a few parts of its toolkit that might as well not exist (mostly anything that tries to lean into the hybrid thing it's going for), but as a pure spellcaster almost everything it does is excellent once you've built properly for it. There's also several pieces of lategame caster gear that Nomad makes uniquely good use of.

Anyway, Jidamba Tangle is #2 after Tall, Tall Heights on my "pain in the rear end to navigate without a map, far too easy to never find the map" shitlist.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Olesh posted:

One thing I always appreciate about Crystal Project is how much people vary in their takes on different classes/abilities based on the synergies/playstyles they prefer.

This is really interesting, yeah! Like, at some point I came to the realization that basically every time I disagreed with OP's assessment of something, I could trace the source of that disagreement back to "OP considers Rogue more or less mandatory for any serious fight, while I do not," and all the ways in which that initial foundation impacts further teambuilding. And that's fine! It's cool to disagree. "Play the way you want" is basically the game's thesis, after all.

Case in point, there's a couple other fun ways to cheese Tira. Its veil specifically only stops physicals and magic, so the handful of abilities that are neither still get through. This means you can

A) Put it to sleep with a Rogue's Sleep Bomb and burn through the veil stacks at your leisure, since missed attacks don't break sleep.

or

B) Poke it with a Monk's Chi Burst, killing it instantly.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

One neat thing about the Ancient Labyrinth is that the enemies are playing by the same rules as you; if you can run them out of MP so they can't cast any spells, they're completely helpless. This isn't super practical for most of the enemies, but I specifically remember Forbidden Grace being relatively easy to run dry.

Adjudicator's main use case is on a Dervish, so you can cast Meteor without nuking your party. IMO, it's the only real way to make that work that doesn't require far too much setup to be worth it. Maybe if reflect worked on multitarget spells, but as we've just learned, it does not.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hello, I know far too much about the intricacies of how Mimics work:

• Yes, you can mimic a mimicked action.
  • You cannot, however, mimic yourself. If the most recent action was performed by the character doing the mimicking, it skips to the next valid action instead. This isn't super likely to come up for Repeat unless you try to get clever and chain Observes together, but it could potentially matter for Copy.
  • Repeat does let you bypass summon restrictions, but only once per character. This feels a bit arbitrary, but the alternative is, yes, trivially stunlocking everything to death with infinite Guaba, so fair enough. (Side note, I'm like 80% sure that even with multiple Summoners you still only get one cast per summon per fight.)
  • Mirror only targets allies, you can't steal boss statuses with it.
  • You can steal them with Repeat, though. If Repeat calls an ability with self only targeting, it will in fact apply to whoever used Repeat rather than the original target.
  • If a character has an effect that makes normally single target abilities multitarget or vice versa, it also applies to abilities used via Repeat. (I think this is just Therapy Stance, Adjudicator, and one other thing we haven't seen yet.)

Anyway, I think everyone is broadly correct that a single Mimic isn't great for general use, and you really need multiple if you want to get up to Shenanigans.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fun fact! If you cross reference the layers of the world map, you'll see that the spot where Conscript has broken through is directly below Skumparadise. Given that the Corruption enemies in the Capitol Pipeline are also mushroom based, it stands to reason that Conscript is the reason Skumparadise is Like That.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The timers on some of those optional salmon challenges are incredibly tight, so much so that even if you haven't cheesed your way into the violin room, I'd almost recommend just sticking to the critical path at first and coming back once you have your own fish to grab all the loot you missed.

PurpleXVI posted:

Most of the enemies down this side are Temple Spiders who, inexplicably, never seem to use their Spin Web ability.

You might just be killing them too fast? It does cost 12 AP after all.

Anyway uhhh F.