Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Glad to see an LP of this, I really enjoyed it. Maybe I’ll do a random class run…

Really impressive effort by just one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

It’s probably because I suck, but Skumparadise is a low point imo. I started a replay because this LP reminded me that I really like the game overall, but the last bit of this area is sucking for me. Looking forward to see how you handle it, though part of the problem is I randomed crystals this run and I’m not sure I have great tools for it from this set.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Part of the thing about Skumparadise is that really only has one fight you're expected to fight, the remainder you're all expected to avoid and resultingly have low to no actual rewards for fighting them(aside from a bit of XP, I don't even think they give money). But we'll have a look at that when we get there. :v:

Yeah and I mostly managed it this time. (I think my first time through I managed to do one of the speedrunner tricks unintentionally because I recall coming at it from above somehow and skipping a lot of it).

Unfortunately the not-intended-to-skip fight is the problem. I always find it kind of rough because it has so many different things going on in terms of status and just a lot of raw numbers plus the sort of nonsense Fungal Gaze thing. On this randomized run Wizard was in the entrance crystal so I don't have AOE fire unless I grind it up some, which makes dealing with the adds hard. I thought I'd use the Reaper AOE but since I don't know of any scythes at this point in the game there's no way to get drain other than using Contract, which I don't really have enough HP for - it leaves the starting max so low that the Reaper tends to get killed by the burst from Fungal Gaze. I might just have to spend some grind time, I have Aegis so if I make that the Reaper primary and level up a few times I'll get some high MHP growth and unlocking the AOE fire would help a lot.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

I like a lot of the platforming in this game but yeah, some assist options for it would be great, and there are definitely platforming sequences that wear out their welcome. Particularly, as Purple pointed out in an early post, some of the ones where failed jumps don't end you up in lava so you can end up having to repeat a lot of easy jumps to get to the one you're struggling with.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

I think I can name a total of three jumping sections in the game that make me swear and curse. I'll be sure to point them out when we get there. So far everything's pretty easy.

All of the really bad platforming sections are also, I will note, optional ones. They lead to some very good stuff, but nothing you need to complete the game.

This is all true, but also, the point of playing a game like this is to do the side stuff for most folks, I’d imagine. So it’s still imo kind of weird that you can get assists for so many things and not for the platforming. I love the idea of disabling falls for example, because so many of the game’s jumps are about “get right to the edge before pressing but you have to be running” and for people who struggle with those not being able to be a hundredth of a second late and fall would be a big help.

The game is great overall imo, I even wrote a long positive steam review which I think is the only one I’ve ever written, but it does kind of stand out that the platforming is less adjustable than the rest of the game.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Jade Rider posted:

Huh, I forgot you could visit the Pipeline this early.

Anyway let's go with A.

The very first time I played, all of the different entrances to the sewers confused me and made me convinced there wasn’t much down there or that it was for the later game, so on that run I ended up going to the prison for the first time via the Pipeline much, much later in the game.

I think that kind of varied experience is cool, though I would have liked to have Reaper earlier, heh.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

I do wish a few more ability sets could use bow, but hunter is very good for my lazy brain which just wants to delete random encounters without too much fuss. Lots of damage very front-loaded is always handy imo, if not always the best for the hardest content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Cattail Prophet posted:

The ibek is my mount of choice for precision platforming. In addition to the extra height, it locks you in place while charging its jump, which makes it a lot easier to inch towards the edge of blocks without falling off.

I was going to say the same thing. I don't know if the charge is supposed to be a downside but I find it a big help with precision jumps.