Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you do?
Wear :goku: pants
:justpost: at home
View Results

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
are you dressing up to let loose from your stuffy buttoned up lifestyle in rule Britannia?

are you doing high concept but esoteric costumes ala the Japanese?

Are you dressing like crazed murderers on every day BUT Halloween like the Scandinavians?

Are you an American who experienced it in another country?

Do you wear :goku: pants

please do tell

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

As a Canadian, I can say we do Halloween time like as depicted in Hollywood movies.
I'll be taking my daughter and her pals around the neighborhood for trick or treating, and handing out candy at home. We like to decorate spookily and carve jack o lanterns too.
Thanks for including us. :canada:

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Same in the UK. If you're over eight years old, or don't have a kid eight or under, it's not a thing, but you can put some decorations up, put on a shirt with a picture of a ghost on it and hand out candy at the door.

Maybe it's changing though because of US influence? I'm boring so I have no idea.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I Germany clubs/pubs have been doing Halloween for decades.

In recent years it has been becoming more popular for children to go on trick or treat tours, but I wouldn’t call it common and I think the percentage of people being prepared for that is still rather small.

Edit: For my partner Halloween is her most important holiday though, and she looks forward to it every year, making and wearing very elaborate costumes when going out. Like a gender-swapped Pennywise or a Silent Hill nurse.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 4, 2023

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
In the UK we dress up as actually scary things, because it's a spooky and scary time, and not just normal things or cute things like in America. I have never understood why princess dresses and bunny rabbits are Hallowe'en options in the US. Did you not get the memo that the point of dressing up for Hallowe'en is to be spooky and scary? Very strange.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

name post combo

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bollock Monkey posted:

In the UK we dress up as actually scary things, because it's a spooky and scary time, and not just normal things or cute things like in America. I have never understood why princess dresses and bunny rabbits are Hallowe'en options in the US. Did you not get the memo that the point of dressing up for Hallowe'en is to be spooky and scary? Very strange.

:rolleye:

quote:

Best Halloween costumes from Marks & Spencer, New Look, Asda and Amazon with prices starting from £6
From Disney's Cruella and Netflix's Wednesday to cute pumpkin dresses and a very gruesome zombie convict costume, there's something for all tastes, ages and budgets

oh yeah sounds real different

anyway i went as the grim reaper for like six years as a younge because it was too expensive to not get more than one use out of lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Australians are like bizarrely anti-halloween right?

Anyway yeah Canada does Halloween the same as the US except maybe (ime) kids are allowed to trick or treat unaccompanied at an earlier age on average

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
In Canada as kids we pray that it doesn't snow before Halloween because if it does you have to wear your costume over your snowsuit.

It's always awesome when you are 7 and don't have to do so because it hasn't snowed yet.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

In Canada as kids we pray that it doesn't snow before Halloween because if it does you have to wear your costume over your snowsuit.

It's always awesome when you are 7 and don't have to do so because it hasn't snowed yet.

It’s the same in New England. I remember my mother patiently explaining to tiny little me that all of the real flamenco dancers in Spain always wear turtlenecks under their costumes.

I live one town over from Salem Massachusetts, which goes absolutely bonkers for the entire month of October. I lived near downtown Salem for three years and had to get very creative when driving to visit my parents in Beverly. Now that I am back in Beverly, I stay out of Salem until November 1. Thank goodness they finally opened a dispensary here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bollock Monkey posted:

It’s traditional to buy a sexy prepackaged costume from spirit Halloween, you’re doing it wrong

----------------

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

gently caress that...I'll Halloween harder at their house and I'm 41

----------------

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Killingyouguy! posted:

Australians are like bizarrely anti-halloween right?

About a decade ago I had a friend there. He hated Halloween when I mentioned it, and he refused to tell me why. But said that some people do give out candy, I think? But it's extremely rare that anyone goes trick or treating. I have no idea anymore.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hrist posted:

About a decade ago I had a friend there. He hated Halloween when I mentioned it, and he refused to tell me why. But said that some people do give out candy, I think? But it's extremely rare that anyone goes trick or treating. I have no idea anymore.

I feel like the only rationale I've heard is 'we're not America'

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Killingyouguy! posted:

I feel like the only rationale I've heard is 'we're not America'

That makes sense. But it's still funny to imagine them being angry about kids wanting to have fun. Or like Halloween had some personal extreme tragedy to them or something.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the Netherlands some adults and teenagers organise costume parties for Halloween. Sometimes primary schools organise activities, even including some trick and treating. But mostly people dont celebrate it I think.
We have a holiday on November 11, Sint-Maarten, that's associated with lanterns and jack-o-lanterns, and kids going door to door to sing songs in exchange for candy.
We also have our own different dress-up holiday, Carnaval.

Apparently around 15% of people celebrate Halloween in some way, according to this article I just read. But I think it's been growing in popularity.

----------------

plasticbones
Aug 4, 2023
Australian here, I feel like the sentiment is really starting to shift. My boomer parents hated it, and as a kid I was sad that we had all these American Halloween movies and tv specials knowing I was never going to experience it. I think there's a lot of people in the same boat as me, and as a result I've been seeing more and more Halloween stuff in recent years, with some areas really pushing to make it a proper community event.

I don't care if it's poisoning our culture or whatever, the closest public holiday we have chronologically to Halloween is for a loving horse race (in Melbourne at least). We have a real problem.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in high school years ago we had a french exchange student who fell in love with halloween because it was such a novel experience for her. when she went home everyone made fun of her for trying to celebrate it lol, and stole her pumpkins

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've been in Japan for nearly 20 years. Halloween is currently the territory of preschool-kindergarten (daytime events at school or the mall) and young adults (drinking in costume in Tokyo).

When my kid(s) were little I started trick-or-treat with 4-5 neighbors on our block, which has since expanded to about 50 kids. It's usually on the last Saturday before 10/31.

We need to do pre-registration to set a fixed time (sunset), tell candy providers how many kids to prepare for, and make a map of which houses are participating. Last year we relocated to a park to avoid people jumping in without registering. Now everyone is equally "local" and we don't need to worry about parking and ringing the wrong doorbells.
Everything is done in 90 minutes and everyone goes home when it's over. Then the grownups get trashed while the kids play video games.

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 5, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

are you dressing up to let loose from your stuffy buttoned up lifestyle in rule Britannia?

This always strikes me as weird because all the usual Halloween practices originated in the UK (trick or treating, spooky costumes, jack-o'-lanterns, etc) and were exported to the US, now the tables have turned and the entire world thinks of it as an American holiday.

plasticbones posted:

Australian here, I feel like the sentiment is really starting to shift. My boomer parents hated it, and as a kid I was sad that we had all these American Halloween movies and tv specials knowing I was never going to experience it. I think there's a lot of people in the same boat as me, and as a result I've been seeing more and more Halloween stuff in recent years, with some areas really pushing to make it a proper community event.

I don't care if it's poisoning our culture or whatever, the closest public holiday we have chronologically to Halloween is for a loving horse race (in Melbourne at least). We have a real problem.

Yeah all the supermarkets and department stores in Australia have doubled down on Halloween in a big way and have entire aisles dedicated to Halloween stock all throughout October. There's always been lots of fun-hating parochial wowsers who were completely opposed to Halloween being celebrated here in Australia but now that Capitalism has latched onto it Halloween is here to stay and will only get bigger every year. The fun-haters lost the culture war. :v:

I live in inner suburban Melbourne and Halloween has been pretty big here over the last decade, with more and more families joining in every year and entire streets joining together to decorate all their yards. There's always hundreds of kids going trick-or-treating in my neighbourhood, I always put out some decorations and hand out kilos and kilos of lollies and help coordinate things via Facebook community groups.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 5, 2023

plasticbones
Aug 4, 2023
That sounds awesome, peanut! You must be super proud.

I'm gonna be in Japan for Halloween myself (we'll be in Tokyo Disney on the day). Can't wait!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Apparently a lot of kids here in Australia aren't real familiar with the Halloween "rules" and will try to trick-or-treat at houses which aren't participating in Halloween and this absolutely enrages certain people who will throw screaming tantrums because kids knock on their door

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“We want c words!”….”not that c words!”

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

peanut posted:

I've been in Japan for nearly 20 years. Halloween is currently the territory of preschool-kindergarten (daytime events at school or the mall) and young adults (drinking in costume in Tokyo).

When my kid(s) were little I started trick-or-treat with 4-5 neighbors on our block, which has since expanded to about 50 kids. It's usually on the last Saturday before 10/31.

We need to do pre-registration to set a fixed time (sunset), tell candy providers how many kids to prepare for, and make a map of which houses are participating. Last year we relocated to a park to avoid people jumping in without registering. Now everyone is equally "local" and we don't need to worry about parking and ringing the wrong doorbells.
Everything is done in 90 minutes and everyone goes home when it's over. Then the grownups get trashed while the kids play video games.

This was how we did it when I was a kid in the UK, on smaller scale. My friends grandma would throw the most amazing kids party, and the whole school class would be there. House decorated, a buffet of food and sweets, games. The whole attic was decorated for halloween and would stay so every year, so it just got more and more built up as time went on. She'd arranged with the neighbours in her cul-de-sac which houses we went to, and we all went round as a big group. It was probably like ten houses at most, but they all gave us big handfulls of stuff so it was good.

One or two would do little events for it. I remember sitting in somebody's living room and them telling us spooky stories. When I opened my present from the grab bag later, they've given me a wade whimsy eagle. Everyone else just got sweets I think??

Weird, but I still have that little guy. :3:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Ireland/Scotland have ye olde Samhain/Halloween traditions like dressing up, carving turnips and dunking for apples and poo poo like that, also was the only time of year we had big firework displays at parties.

More recently there's been a weird backlash of little englanders calling the whole thing an Americanism, probably because the costumes got more plastic and the turnips turned into pumpkins, and they were apparently never invited to their cooler neighbors parties.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Ireland/Scotland have ye olde Samhain

how do you pronounce this correctly

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Over the last 10 years I've watch NZ go from not knowing Halloween to being ok with it so it's somewhere between Australia and USA/Canada. Probably the thing that messes it all up is that October 31 is mid spring so the sun doesn't set until like 830 and pumpkins aren't in season so no jack-o-lanterns.

Also the candy people give out is absolute garbage. I want fuckin mars bars n poo poo, not these dumb gross marshmallow things

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, Spring in Australia doesn't really feel right for Halloween. Bees, birdsong, long sunny afternoons etc are not exactly turbo spooky.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Ireland/Scotland have ye olde Samhain/Halloween traditions like dressing up, carving turnips and dunking for apples and poo poo like that, also was the only time of year we had big firework displays at parties.

More recently there's been a weird backlash of little englanders calling the whole thing an Americanism, probably because the costumes got more plastic and the turnips turned into pumpkins, and they were apparently never invited to their cooler neighbors parties.
Whoa, that's where my family is descended from, and I'm blown away that this came from the old country, and we didn't just do a cultural appropriation. Again.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bssoil posted:

Probably the thing that messes it all up is that October 31 is mid spring so the sun doesn't set until like 830 and pumpkins aren't in season so no jack-o-lanterns.

Here in Australia it's also mid Spring and the supermarkets are all selling locally grown "Halloween Carving Pumpkins" but they're crazy expensive

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/364450/halloween-carving-pumpkin-whole

:capitalism:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I've been dying to know this for about 20 years due to a niche and long-forgotten, out-of-print trading card game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alan Smithee posted:

SAH-win or SAW-win, depending on region, accent etc.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia it's also mid Spring and the supermarkets are all selling locally grown "Halloween Carving Pumpkins" but they're crazy expensive

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/364450/halloween-carving-pumpkin-whole

:capitalism:

Yikes. I just picked up a huge pumpkin at the local pumpkin farm for $8. It's maybe 15-20lbs. I was actually a little surprised at how expensive they're getting.

----------------

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Update: I went to a different supermarket and they were selling carving pumpkins for $3.90 a kilo

If you want a decent sized one that'll run you around $29

Yeah I'm gonna have to pass on that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yo them green peppers look even more expensive

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah in Melbourne Australia some places seem to trick or treat, but the main thing seems to be halloween parties. There always seems to be tons about. Can't remember a year I wasn't at one. Plenty of people like to do up their houses with Halloween decorations as well.

My Sister and her kids are up in a more rural town in Queensland. A few houses are decorating, and Sister and her kids love to put up Halloween Decorations and watch scary movies all month. I'm up there at the moment, and will probably run a murder mystery for them as well, as one of my nieces loves to play a detective (although she's sent the wrong person to the electric chair more times than not)!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Update: I went to a different supermarket and they were selling carving pumpkins for $3.90 a kilo

If you want a decent sized one that'll run you around $29

Yeah I'm gonna have to pass on that

Jesus.

There is a big farm here (a lot actually) so I went up to the gazebo outside where you pay for the pumpkins to ask the cost and the girl gave it to me in ball sizes (american). Softball is this much, basketball is this much, we can judge it.... so I knew straight away that if I were probably very nice to her I could get away with a bit more. I grabbed my pumpkin and waited for the same girl and she said wow that's a great pumpkin and said it was basketball sized lol. 8 bucks.

Almost 15 pounds. I'm gonna wait to cut it open because I want the seeds and I don't want it to spoil until Halloween.

----------------

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

....and she said wow that's a great pumpkin.
Did she say "Wow that's a great pumpkin" or "Wow that's The Great Pumpkin"

The difference is important!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dr_rat posted:

Did she say "Wow that's a great pumpkin" or "Wow that's The Great Pumpkin"
The difference is important!!!!

There were literally 1,000+ pumpkins out there with an operation out in the field bringing in new ones so I'm guessing she says that to everyone. However, a lot of people grab the carts (wheelbarrows) to get a bunch with their families so I spent like 10 minutes like an idiot trying to find the best one.

It's a good pumpkin!

edit: good looking for carving and a special guest star of Pennywise the Cat

----------------

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 8, 2023