Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The very instant CM Punk got suspended from AEW I think it was pretty clear he was not gonna be back in the ring ever again. Maybe he'll cameo in some local Chicago indie promotion but after that he's cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Speaking of other wrestlers ending their own careers, Austin Aries. After getting fired from WWE, Impact was the only promotion that would have him. He main evented their largest show in 2018, then immediately popped up after the bell rang and walked off to the back, mouthing off at the crowd while John Hennigan sits in the middle of the ring wondering what the gently caress is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwnyLSu7kG8

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
since this is the wrestling page

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mannerup posted:

since this is the wrestling page

Shockmaster got done dirty :mad:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MrQwerty posted:

Shockmaster got done dirty :mad:

Long term seems like that was good for his career as tons of people are still talking about a WCW midcarder decades later and he’s successfully used the gimmick to boost demand for in person appearances later in life, and is getting paid without having to take bumps. I’m sure he doesn’t mind charging $50 a photo to pose with fans who brought homemade helmets. Considering the other guys on the roster at the time his fate as of 2023 is firmly in the top 1%.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Long term seems like that was good for his career as tons of people are still talking about a WCW midcarder decades later and he’s successfully used the gimmick to boost demand for in person appearances later in life, and is getting paid without having to take bumps. I’m sure he doesn’t mind charging $50 a photo to pose with fans who brought homemade helmets. Considering the other guys on the roster at the time his fate as of 2023 is firmly in the top 1%.

You know what? That's an amazing (and probably extremely accurate) way to look at it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

this thread has rehabilitated Shockmaster's career trajectory it's a GBS miracle

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more pratfall gimmicks in wrestling.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

this was the death of his prior career, tho, used to be mostly just ppl who knew him, who virulently hated him, now it's like sixty percent of the country, terrible numbers for primetime

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

Zugzwang posted:

Kanye West going on Alex Jones' show and proclaiming how much he loves Hitler.

Was that before or after he tossed his Grammy in the toilet, pissed on it, and posted it on Twitter? Because I think it was then that he was more mental illness than man and he made everybody feel bad for Kim Kardashian and it was...over.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Roleplaying Dad posted:

Was that before or after he tossed his Grammy in the toilet, pissed on it, and posted it on Twitter? Because I think it was then that he was more mental illness than man and he made everybody feel bad for Kim Kardashian and it was...over.

No, people were still on team Kanye for that poo poo. And for his crazy Christian phase, and all this other crap that would have destroyed anyone else that slid for Kanye because he's hip-hop's quirky David Lynch type guy. He had to become a nazi for it all to finally scare off fans and money.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Ye's entire career to me has been a ratio of people 1:1 of "this guy is a loving idiot", "this person is mentally unstable", "this person is doing everything to ruin his career" with "this man is a genius."

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

he's got good music

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

emSparkly posted:

No, people were still on team Kanye for that poo poo. And for his crazy Christian phase, and all this other crap that would have destroyed anyone else that slid for Kanye because he's hip-hop's quirky David Lynch type guy. He had to become a nazi for it all to finally scare off fans and money.
Yeah, his corporate partners/sponsors started dropping him around a year ago when he really dialed up the anti-Semitism. I forgot that his appearance on InfoWars was like two months after he wore a "WHITE LIVES MATTER" shirt at a fashion show. Things, uh, went downhill from there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In 2018 it was when he said this gem

Ye posted:

“When you hear about slavery for 400 years … For 400 years? That sounds like a choice.”

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
When that tar monsted killed Tasha Yarr on TNG. In still cry whenever I see that scene in a rerun. :(

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
And she never came back.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Scott Stevens hit on Eric Lindros. Lindros played 7 more years, but he was never the same player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eDmkig4cOE&t=340s

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

A lot of Seinfeld folks went on to continue their careers.

Cosmo "N Word" Kramer was not one of them, hence being in a not very notable standup position at the time lol

In fact Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Wayne Knight and yes, even Seinfeld himself went on to do stuff after.

I think Michael Richards is one of the few people from the show that didn't do *stuff* after. Well, stuff that got him paid anyway.

What has Jason Alexander done beside try to crowbar his doofus failson into the business?

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I'll have you know he directed an episode of Young Sheldon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Kayne Infowars thing was amazing because even Alex Jones was obviously wondering what the gently caress was happening.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For example I present a song that you all remember but you haven't thought about in 20 years. A Spice Girl and Canada's #1 son Bryan Adams never came back from this.

This is the last gasp of their success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W2jONIjrM0
The B-side of this is just Bryan Adams singing the song on his own without Mel C

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What has Jason Alexander done beside try to crowbar his doofus failson into the business?

Got owned at a poker tournament that one time

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Drinkslinger posted:

The B-side of this is just Bryan Adams singing the song on his own without Mel C

I can't tell if that's a joke or literally true because the A side is that. She's doing backing vocals. You can barely hear her.

Jason Alexander was in that episode of Community where he wore a toupee for some reason. That really bad one with the muppets.

Didn't he briefly have his own sitcom after Seinfeld?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I can't tell if that's a joke or literally true because the A side is that. She's doing backing vocals. You can barely hear her.

Jason Alexander was in that episode of Community where he wore a toupee for some reason. That really bad one with the muppets.

Didn't he briefly have his own sitcom after Seinfeld?

he was actually the lead in three sitcoms, two got cancelled after a month leaving unaired episodes, and the last at least managed to finish out a full season.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Jason Alexander has done some voice acting and is pretty solid. Not so much a career death as it is a kind of change.

Is that puppet comedian’s career dead? God I found out he was around a LOT longer than the 2000s.

Also lol Gina Carano in the Bag Fumblers Hall of Fame. Girl you had not just Disney money, you had Star Wars money.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the main casts of Seinfeld, Friends, Big Bang all got so loving paid it feels like their further work was "career bonus" rather than lack of work being "career death"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Yeah even Jim Parsons pops up in things and he's not bad

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

teen witch posted:

Also lol Gina Carano in the Bag Fumblers Hall of Fame. Girl you had not just Disney money, you had Star Wars money.

Lmao yeah she was primed to take off on her own Star Wars spinoff and poo poo from this. Way to blow up your career just as it launched. I saw a trailer and her promoting some Chud movie that looked godawful.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

teen witch posted:

Jason Alexander has done some voice acting and is pretty solid. Not so much a career death as it is a kind of change.

Is that puppet comedian’s career dead? God I found out he was around a LOT longer than the 2000s.

Is the puppet comedian jeff dunham?

if we’re talking about the same puppet guy I guess he’s still around since he was here a few years ago and all the yokels were talking about it for weeks beforehand

it wasn’t the first time that I realized everyone living here (including me!) is dumb as gently caress but it sure did crystallize it

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

like imagine building up the anticipation for weeks and weeks to see a guy play with ventriloquist dummies lmao

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Was in the one good episode of the UPN Twilight Zone reboot playing Death.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

20 Blunts posted:

the main casts of Seinfeld, Friends, Big Bang all got so loving paid it feels like their further work was "career bonus" rather than lack of work being "career death"

The Seinfeld cast (sans Jerry) renegotiated late season contracts specifically with the intention of making enough money that they’d never have to work again if they didn’t want to.

Jason Alexander was very well educated on an “Inside the Actors Studio” spot he did. He said that NBC made a rotten deal (in the actors favor). They were so scared of giving more syndication money that they gave them $1m an ep plus some backend stuff. He said he’d never have done that deal and it set a terrible precedent in the industry, as by Seinfelds final season low-rating shows with high profile actors were demanding, and getting, $1m+/ep contracts. He specifically called out Mad About You.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

Doesn't Disney generally pay pretty lightly for that kind of work? I haven't seen anything about the Disney+ era but I know I read some pieces about Disney's contracts for pre-pandemic Marvel movies being surprisingly chintzy for actors that weren't already household names.

But yes, still an impressive self-immolation considering that this is a vehicle that turns actors into household names. I wasn't even watching Mandalorian at the time and still knew who she was before she committed PR suicide.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Doesn't Disney generally pay pretty lightly for that kind of work? I haven't seen anything about the Disney+ era but I know I read some pieces about Disney's contracts for pre-pandemic Marvel movies being surprisingly chintzy for actors that weren't already household names.

But yes, still an impressive self-immolation considering that this is a vehicle that turns actors into household names. I wasn't even watching Mandalorian at the time and still knew who she was before she committed PR suicide.

I'd have to guess it wouldn't be a lot of up front, but there would have been merchandising deals. She was about to get her own show before her terminal case of poo poo to the brain.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

the holy poopacy posted:

I know someone who has a large part in Andor, they bought a pretty nice house from their first season money, so relative to working in an office it's a lot of money; it's not I never have to work again money.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I googled it and she claimed she was getting $25-50k per episode for Mandalorian. Considering she didn't even show up in the majority of episodes, that might have been like $150-200k per season tops. So assuming she was being honest (and that does track with the stuff I've read about Disney's pay practices) that would be good money by working joe standards, definitely not get-rich-quick money.

But yeah, the important part was being a stepping stone to bigger things, which makes her blowing her career up even dumber since she didn't even get a chance to cash in before she blew it all up.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Who is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

I googled it and she claimed she was getting $25-50k per episode for Mandalorian. Considering she didn't even show up in the majority of episodes, that might have been like $150-200k per season tops. So assuming she was being honest (and that does track with the stuff I've read about Disney's pay practices) that would be good money by working joe standards, definitely not get-rich-quick money.

But yeah, the important part was being a stepping stone to bigger things, which makes her blowing her career up even dumber since she didn't even get a chance to cash in before she blew it all up.

100%, especially considering the absurdly low actor pay that was becoming normalized pre-strike. Being an actor of limited range and getting lucky enough to be a recurring character on the Baby Yoda show when you can’t walk ten feet without seeing him on a bumper sticker or t-shirt is not a golden goose to be slaughtered.