Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Konar posted:

When Kanye did "George Bush doesn't care about black people" during Katrina, I think it weirdly signaled the end of Mike Myers' (who was standing next to him during the Katrina aid news show thing) leading funny man career

He’s got Shrek money don’t think he’s worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Shockmaster got done dirty :mad:

Long term seems like that was good for his career as tons of people are still talking about a WCW midcarder decades later and he’s successfully used the gimmick to boost demand for in person appearances later in life, and is getting paid without having to take bumps. I’m sure he doesn’t mind charging $50 a photo to pose with fans who brought homemade helmets. Considering the other guys on the roster at the time his fate as of 2023 is firmly in the top 1%.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What has Jason Alexander done beside try to crowbar his doofus failson into the business?

Was in the one good episode of the UPN Twilight Zone reboot playing Death.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

I googled it and she claimed she was getting $25-50k per episode for Mandalorian. Considering she didn't even show up in the majority of episodes, that might have been like $150-200k per season tops. So assuming she was being honest (and that does track with the stuff I've read about Disney's pay practices) that would be good money by working joe standards, definitely not get-rich-quick money.

But yeah, the important part was being a stepping stone to bigger things, which makes her blowing her career up even dumber since she didn't even get a chance to cash in before she blew it all up.

100%, especially considering the absurdly low actor pay that was becoming normalized pre-strike. Being an actor of limited range and getting lucky enough to be a recurring character on the Baby Yoda show when you can’t walk ten feet without seeing him on a bumper sticker or t-shirt is not a golden goose to be slaughtered.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lt. Cock posted:

I used to live with a bunch of film industry people. Publicly badmouthing a project was always brought up as an easy career suicide. It takes an army of people to put together a movie or tv show, and when you run your mouth they all turn on you.

Oh yeah the director of the 2015 Fantastic Four movie attacked his own film prior to release which uh, wasn’t good for his relationship with the studio. His IMDb gets a bit light after that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I had thought Jason Alexander was semiretired with Seinfeld money but just saw him in a Verizon commercial so I dunno. Although maybe he wants a bigger house?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I mean it killed her career in anything remotely plausible and she fell into the right wing grift circuit as a result

https://twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425

She gets confused for real journalist Naomi Klein so much, Klein wrote a book about it called Doppleganger.

quote:

“Doppelganger” is a different kind of book for Klein: more intimate and personal, shot through with a type of ambiguity that isn’t much of a presence in her earlier work. Where her previous targets have been familiar villains — greedy corporations, merciless capitalists, fossil-fuel companies, the economist Milton Friedman — her adversaries in “Doppelganger” reflect the ideological chaos of the last few years: billionaire tech tycoons, Darwinist yoga moms, xenophobic propagandists and ... Naomi Wolf?

Wolf is the doppelgänger of the book’s title — the feminist intellectual who wrote the classic text “The Beauty Myth,” which argued that beauty standards serve as a form of social control, and a person whom people have been confusing with Klein for at least a dozen years. “Doppelganger” opens with a scene in a public bathroom near the Occupy protests in 2011, when Klein overhears some women misattributing to her something Wolf had said. But it was during the isolation of the Covid pandemic that being chronically mixed up with Wolf, or “Other Naomi,” went from amusing to utterly bewildering. In the spring of 2021, Other Naomi started floating the conspiratorial fiction that vaccinated people might somehow endanger the unvaccinated. Wolf was suspended from Twitter in June 2021; despite self-identifying as a “liberal democrat,” she was becoming a frequent guest on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show and Steve Bannon’s “War Room” podcast.

quote:

And then there’s the rank absurdity of the Klein/Wolf mix-up. Yes, the two women are Jewish; both have brownish-blondish hair; both have written big-idea books; both have been outspoken about abuses of political power during times of crisis. But their bodies of work are distinctive, and the association between them became ever more troubling to Klein as Wolf began tweeting “pulpy theories” about 5G, about weird clouds. The confusion was widespread enough to be commemorated in a viral poem:

if the Naomi be Klein
you’re doing just fine
If the Naomi be Wolf
Oh, buddy. Ooooof.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/30/...&smid=url-share

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Michael Madsen in the early 90s had a lot of heat after Reservoir Dogs & Thelma & Louise but opted to play Virgil Earp rather than Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, & while Travolta got an Oscar nomination & a career second wind, Madsen had a whole lotta nothing until Kill Bill 2, then back to obscurity.

Especially ridiculous as the part was written for Madsen & turning it down soured his relationship with Tarantino for years, not great to do with the director who knows exactly how to use him.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Exit to Eden would have killed if they marketed it as Dana Dalany in S&M gear, but instead they just showed Dan Akroyd and Rosie O'Donnell.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109758

edit: This is the one film that Akroyd said he wishes he could forgot. This coming form the man that brought us Nothing But Trouble and Blues Brothers 2000.

Aykroyd seems to have gotten off pretty easy for an original SNL cast member. Still alive, has goodwill unlike Chase, got to be in some classic movies & was still starring in them for a while past when it was a good idea, and has plenty of time & resources to enjoy his paranormal interests.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lt. Cock posted:

I like Akroyd way more as an openly insane old man selling glass skulls full of booze.

I'm looking at one on display in my living room at this very moment.

Probably, celebrity liquor brands can be shockingly lucrative. Sammy Hagar sold his Cabo Wabo brand for $80 million.

On the sliding scale of 1 to 10 oddball celebrity beliefs he’s around a 0 or -1? As far as I know he’s not harming anyone and we got Ghostbusters out of it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

redshirt posted:

For real, he's active on his blog and loves talking about the Giants and Jets.

I think its safe to say at this point we won't see another book entirely written by him. I bet eventually the publishers bring in another writer to finish them.

I read his two big short story collections that include some of the best sci-fi contenders such as a Song for Lya & Sandkings, and he includes introductions to the stories that help explain what was going on in his life/career. The collections were published in early 2000s but I remember it stood out in the sections about working on the tv show Beauty & the Beast that he really loved being involved in tv productions. So makes sense late career he’s happy doing that and probably won’t write anything of note in his late 70s

On the plus side since he’s been active since the 70s his early works are worth seeking out, and most are better than late game of thrones novels anyway. The collection Tuf Voyaging is top notch.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

root beer posted:

That one really bummed me out, he was great on Mr. Show and The Story of Everest is a physical comedy classic. But he can absolutely get hosed with the rest of the chuds, and I do love the occasional dunks on him on Comedy Bang Bang.

Kinda surprised Bob’s Burger’s hasn’t recast him. Paul F Tompkins was on Conan recently and they made a joke about how one of his Mr Show costars ran into a bit of trouble.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Aykroyd seems to have gotten off pretty easy for an original SNL cast member. Still alive, has goodwill unlike Chase, got to be in some classic movies & was still starring in them for a while past when it was a good idea, and has plenty of time & resources to enjoy his paranormal interests.

*sees ad for Aykroyd’s new show on Fox Nation* never mind

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Apparently she'd come onto the set of MIB3 day drunk and heckle Will during takes. Crazy poo poo like that.

He got $100 million to be in that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

So many warning signs like Gemini Man where he’s costarring with a CGI younger version of himself, or After Earth where he tried to claim of all the available actors his son was the best qualified.

Would have been fascinating to see live reaction of Apple executives watching the Slap, when they had poured a ton into Emancipation & were expecting the narrative to be a best actor win and maybe Oscars for Apple TV, but felt like the release got quietly handled.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 8, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

I don't know, that Orc Cop movie he was in seemed like a pretty big risk

lol oh yeah forgot about that one, dunno why they didn’t cut Shadowrun a check & tell the same story in an established universe. Would have been fun to see tv in background with dragon president addressing the nation or how Native American states are superpowers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Kevin Smith sucks too, thankfully his career seems buried.

I did enjoy early eps of his Batman podcast when he got both Adam West & Kevin Conroy & they had fascinating stories. Plus his interview with Paul Dini mentioned being on the staff of Masters of the Universe & the writers asked themselves if He-man or Skeletor were intended to be considered the masters & they admitted they didn’t know, to illustrate how little the series was thought out past toy sales.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Kevin Smith grew up working class and was literally a convenience store clerk when he made Clerks. I'd characterize him as a decently smart and funny dude who has never lost sight of how lucky he is to have his life and career. Out of all the famous directors, he's gotta be one of the ones who'd be best to hang out with.

Oh yeah maxing out his credit cards & getting zero sleep on his first movie is the opposite of nepo baby. Plus he’s consistently funny in interviews & have to go out of your way to run across his productions. I appreciate how he’s not paying to be in every other YouTube ad so he’s an improvement on Ryan Reynolds.

Also I’d never seen any of his work prior to the Clerks cartoon & it was hilarious, especially having the second ep be a clip show.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Flinger posted:

You'd think oscar security would be tight enough to tackle even Will Smith so it all looked very fake

True but if I saw one of the most well known men on the planet who is up for best actor & has done a lot of comedy striding on stage I’d 100% think it was a prearranged bit, not that he had decided to do violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Beefed Owl posted:

Love Guru pretty much spelled the end for Mike Myers. Apparently he was already on thin ice for Goldmember bombing and apparently being a tough person to work with.

The last thing I remember him being in is like the 50th anniversary of Saturday Night Live where he reprized his role as Wayne from Wayne's World.

I think he's been in a couple other things since then but nothing close to what he had during his glory days of the late '90s and early 2000s.

It’s wild looking up random 90s SNL sketches & bam out of nowhere Mike Myers yellowface.

Wait checking Wikipedia, Goldmember made nearly $300 million on about a $63 million budget, I know Hollywood math is wonky but that seems pretty good for 2002.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 26, 2024