Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Cornwind Evil posted:

A more serious example: hard to think of any better ones than Nicolae Ceaușescu's final speech. If you could consider 'being a brutal dictator' a career, it's hard to top your country literally doing its final rise up to capture, depose, and later execute you while you are giving a speech saying 'Things are now calm, go back to being brutally repressed'.

This is pretty wild to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRWiz1PhKU&t=66s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJCfbMw0Yo

her little awkward jig gets me every time lmao

I'm always baffled that there was apparently no way to signal to whoever does these things to simply stop the track and play the correct one, or any contingency plan for this kind of situation.

Her career could've theoretically survived getting caught lipsynching just fine if she handled this professionally, even the Beatles lipsynched. It's how clueless she looked and then slinkered off stage leaving her band out to dry that really hurt her more than anything.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The truly damaging thing Katherine Heigl did to her reputation was declining Emmy consideration for Grey's Anatomy and making it known in the press she did so to stick it to the writers/producers.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention," she tells Gold Derby. "In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials." https://www.businessinsider.com/2008/6/katherine-heigl-grey-s-anatomy-didn-t-give-me-emmy-worthy-material

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is my first time hearing about it, and it seems oddly...anti-smug? I don't even know how to describe it. It's like, a move ostensibly meant to be humble that ended up coming back around to being smug. I'm as impressed as I am confused.

Lol, I remember that confusion being everyone's immediate reaction when that story started making the rounds.

There was like this collective "ohhhh" that this pretty much had to be a form of protest over how much she thought the show sucked (or her part at least) considering how you'd kind of have to go out of your way to do this, and that if you really thought your work wasn't worth a nom you'd think you'd simply trust the Emmys to see that for themselves and all.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

"It usually bends more..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7OgAdCObs&t=900s

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Extra Large Marge posted:

Showgirls destroyed both Elizabeth Berkley and Joe Eszterhas' careers. It didn't destroy Kyle MacLachlan's though, as he is immune to such things.

Oh I dunno, Elizabeth Berkley at least got to be "the girl from Saved by the Bell and Showgirls" and not just "the girl from Saved by the Bell" lol

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Zugzwang posted:

The New York Times published a glowing article about him in July, lol

This indeed sounds like a pretty good candidate for a career-wrecking moment for the New York Times.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Kit Walker posted:

How common is lip syncing these days anyway? I imagine it's one of those things that no one really talks about but a lot of performers do, but I have no idea. It would just be funny if it was quite widespread at the time and she was the only one unfortunate enough to really get noticed doing it

It's less of a thing since the 80s but it's definitely still around. Like, if you see someone doing a big choreographed dance number while simultaneously belting out a tune, 97% of the time they're lipsynching - dancing and singing at the same time is an INSANELY hard thing to do.

While nobody ever liked lipsynching, it didn't become a taboo until Milli Vanilli were exposed as frauds. Over time I think people have misremembered/misunderstood what happened there - it's not lipsynching itself that was the problem, it was that they used lipsynching to hide that they never sang "their" songs at all.

Lipsynching was so prevalent before then that there are a lot of singers from the 60s and 70s it's actually tough to find many genuine live performances of. A lot of TV shows in particular back in the day didn't have the studio space or acoustics to accommodate live music performance (at least one whose sound quality wasn't crap).

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Beefed Owl posted:

Love Guru pretty much spelled the end for Mike Myers. Apparently he was already on thin ice for Goldmember bombing and apparently being a tough person to work with.

The last thing I remember him being in is like the 50th anniversary of Saturday Night Live where he reprized his role as Wayne from Wayne's World.

I think he's been in a couple other things since then but nothing close to what he had during his glory days of the late '90s and early 2000s.

You're probably right except Austin Powers Goldmember was a huge smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

naem posted:

I was trying to remember who Jessica Simpson was and got flooded with repressed memories of very low cut pants, very orange tans and pink lipstick/fake-blonde hair, spikey belt 2000’s era look for girls

photos of that era look especially dated since everyone dressed the same way to the point it looks weird now

I feel like this is the ultimate distillation of "early 2000s"