Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

White Light posted:

Everybody talks about the GoT final season showrunners killing the show, but what about the man himself, George? Didn't release a single book from the first episode to the last and had the better part of a decade to do so, always had an excuse up his sleeve to put it off, etc.

What does he do these days besides show up to conventions and coast off royalties? Aside from being commissioned to write parts of Elden Ring I've no idea.

Well why not? Dude obviously worked pretty hard for 30-40 years before the big money train crashed thru his wall, why not take a breather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I'm definitely on Chris Rock's side there, he said she could star in GI Jane because she was looking kinda tough and military. It's not like he said "hey Jada, Automatic For The People was your best album" or anything like that

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Jada, how can you sleep when your bed is burning?

:hfive: lol gottem

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Slowly and loudly over-enunciating the telegraphed punchline is pretty boring imo. It’s his whole loving thing.

Maaybeee. We. Should. Make. The. BULLETS. Illegal!

Got em.

Remember that "Women be shoppin!!" comedian from the Nutty Professor, was that meant to be a Chris Rock rip?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

git apologist posted:

or the moby dick solo, ffs lol

I had the misfortune of watching a Zep tribute band last year, hearing the intro riff of Moby Dick is a grim portent of what's to come. So the bloke whacks away on the drums, then about 3 minutes into the solo, puts the sticks down and starts slapping the drums with his hands FFS. On and on it went, even the boomers were getting bored.

Speaking of old bands dying, I love the story of the day Elvis died. The band is assembled at the airport, ready to head to the next gig city, one of Elvis's managers appears and says "Elvis is dead, everything cancelled, go home". Awkward moment

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

True,and the drummer was an attempted rapist,gently caress em.

I don't know if Robert Plant is free from any "allegations", but I like the story that he signed up for teacher's college after Zep finished, but then Phil Collins told him he could be a solo artist rockstar instead. Very Spinal Tap.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Speaking of lip sync,a man who was incapable of it.

https://youtu.be/-K_f6mYlFdk?si=cgVmg2zDD8dLtyxP

From the start the perfect timed walk to the mic,upside down piano,multiple key changes tempo changes and song changes,dance routines in high heels on a dark stage with shades and not a beat missed.

loving legend.

I bet poor old Prince had to "play the game" plenty of times though and lip sync his own songs for corporate stuff.

Speaking of him, would it be fair to say that Prince's mainstream career didn't really survive the grunge years? All the Warner Bros and Love Symbol stuff took its toll and seemed to sideline him for most of the 90's. Also there was a long period where his music wasn't online (and everyone else's was) that didn't help.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Lipsynching was so prevalent before then that there are a lot of singers from the 60s and 70s it's actually tough to find many genuine live performances of. A lot of TV shows in particular back in the day didn't have the studio space or acoustics to accommodate live music performance (at least one whose sound quality wasn't crap).

I keep getting unsolicited facebk videos of 89-year-old Frankie Valli, lip syncing away to his greatest hits in the present day. The comments are a hoot, it's 95% "WE LOVE YOU FRANKIE, STILL GOT THAT GOLDEN VOICE" and the other 5% is "You know he's miming, right? RETIRE ALREADY"

(warning: possible elder abuse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMS8VvxeFiA

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

that Frankie Valli video is just sad

Imagine being one of those poor backing musicians, propping up this zombie with a grin plastered on your face. After every song you're like "well he made it through that one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, for the purposes of this thread not really. The guy did a colossally stupid career move and exchanged a guaranteed superstardom into "hey what was the name of that one idiot who thought being James Bond was a career ending mistake?"

Especially if you keep acting and 30 years later that one Bond movie is still pretty much the only thing you are known for.

Lazenby still comes over as an arrogant, overconfident dick, even now in his 80s. His acting in OHMSS is absolutely terrible and the only thing he gets right is crying and going crazy at the end. Yet they wanted to sign him up for the next one, he could have had that job for years if he'd just played along. But oh no