Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

happyhippy posted:

Most biopics of a famous person.
Its pointless as you will never one that goes 'yeah he/she was a real lovely person', and they change things to make it more story worth.
So you don't know what's real, what was made up to trick you.

If you haven’t, check out Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. It is very much not a typical biopic and Mishima as a character is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the ones that lean into them being a lovely person.

Elvis got said to be basically a superhero movie with Elvis (which is fitting for its own reasons) but Napoleon totally should be a supervillain movie. And I don't just mean the usual demonisation. More like Scarface with muskets.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean you're getting your wish with the Ridley film, up to the same braindead "maybe they did all this because they were bad in bed" message Scarface had, unfortunately Scott has a fiftieth of the skill De Palma has and making up poo poo to make fun of one of the most studied figures in history just makes you look like a big mad anglo instead of someone exploring the human condition in exceptional circumstances.

I was reading the letterboxed comments about the film and one actually nailed it. The film needed PTA, someone who can balance the courageous, charismatic, and the genius with the vanity, anger, and foibles.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Making up poo poo is what every historical film does

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean you're getting your wish with the Ridley film, up to the same braindead "maybe they did all this because they were bad in bed" message Scarface had, unfortunately Scott has a fiftieth of the skill De Palma has and making up poo poo to make fun of one of the most studied figures in history just makes you look like a big mad anglo instead of someone exploring the human condition in exceptional circumstances.

I was reading the letterboxed comments about the film and one actually nailed it. The film needed PTA, someone who can balance the courageous, charismatic, and the genius with the vanity, anger, and foibles.

Get a life - Ridley Scott

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That said I am so tired of when even otherwise fun historical stuff boils down motivations and personalities to 'Because they were totally bad in bed/had a small dick/were molested' usually with no historical evidence either way at best. Lookin' at you, Sandman.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how big was Napoleon's bonaparte

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DangerDongs posted:

Lamb.

A slow-burner shouldn't make you laugh at the sheer stupidity of the ending/reveal. Really made me worry for A24 and if they were just going to start greenlighting any obscure slightly horror movie.

Pig

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Put me down for most biopics. Especially ones that are about super privileged people. It's like bitsh, you own more wealth than the combined wealth of hundreds of generations of most families and we're supposed to feel sorry for you because you have trouble speaking or feel sad about some life event or are hounded by reporters? gently caress off. It also doesn't help that just about every biopic just... ends. They overcome their problem then it fades to black with text telling you what happened after. Just... pointless. Rarely are they interesting.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

It's pretty cool to make fun of historical figures.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Napoleon has been dead for like, probably a long time now. For me personally I'm not angry at him any more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does The Last Duel count as a biopic?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Joker - I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie pretend so hard to be "cinema". The comparisons to The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver are obvious but the writing is also film school level. "I thought my life was a tragedy, but it turns out it's a comedy." And why the Garry Glitter song? What does it symbolize other than "check it out. We put a pedo's hit song in the film"?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My girlfriend asked me to watch this movie called Coyaniskatsi and I feel like she owes me an hour and a half of my life back. The plot was so pointless. They NEVER explained how the protagonist got from one scene to another. Most of the time the directing was so bad you couldn’t even tell where he was. It could make for a nice screensaver I guess but by the end of the movie none of the characters had changed or learned anything and none of its problems had been solved. Waste of time.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Hakkesshu posted:

Rise of Skywalker is up there. Just the most pointless lazy drivel ever conceived at that kind of scale.

Honestly, I appreciated how poo poo ROS was. It was clearly a hack job to try and appeal to the angry nerds who were salty over Last Jedi and it’s rejection of all the mystery box plot lines Abrams set up but it was upfront with it being a pile of poo poo.

Amsterdam, on the other hand, had me getting angrier every passing minute. I don’t know exactly when my anger boiled over from infuriated to flabbergasted but I walked out of the theater shell shocked that they had wasted Bale and DeNiro on such a banal, saccharine, garbage movie. It’s doubly sad because apparently Bale has wanted to play the doctor in the movie for a long time. Just a disgusting waste of everyone in the movie’s talent.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Swift getting car'd is hilarious though

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I don't watch Marvel movies but I'm sure it'd be those, unfortunately I have seen plenty of Wes Anderson movies so its unquestionably those.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TitusGroen posted:

Honestly, I appreciated how poo poo ROS was. It was clearly a hack job to try and appeal to the angry nerds who were salty over Last Jedi and it’s rejection of all the mystery box plot lines Abrams set up but it was upfront with it being a pile of poo poo.

It's impressive how it managed to piss everyone off, even the full blown Disney Adults and Rey stans couldn't defend it, because there's just nothing there.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Gaius Marius posted:

Swift getting car'd is hilarious though

The only silver lining in that particular pile of poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am gonna be mean and say the new indiana jones. there are parts i like but it played it super duper safe and it kinda "neutures" the movie when indie or new girl dont even shoot anyone even the nazis. i hit a point when they were doing a 20 plus min car chase that sucked and i just gave up and wanted to leave. it never added anything and just made me depressed.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

prometheus

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Oppenheimer.

Like, it's well acted, I like cillian. I think there's some cool macro photography, the little of it that's there in the 3 hours. But like I just felt :nallears: at the end.

So when I see some people writing articles on how people in the audience of their theater were crying at the end, I was like :wtc:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

That movie you enjoyed? It’s actually the most boring, pointless movie I’ve ever watched.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That movie you enjoyed? It’s actually the most boring, pointless movie I’ve ever watched.
Actually I hated it too tbh

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
When I was a younger goon there was someone on these forums hyping up a movie called Leviathan, a documentary aboard a fishing vessel shot almost entirely with GoPros. What I got as a ninety minute, narration-less episode of Deadliest Catch.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 22, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This is the correct answer for the entire thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

When I was a younger goon there was someone on these forums hyping up a movie called Leviathan, a documentary aboard a fishing vessel shot almost entirely with GoPros. What I got as a ninety minute, narration-less episode of Deadliest Catch.

You should have watched the 1989 movie of the same name

Much more fun

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Both Leviathan's are good

Refine your palette nerds

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never stacked up to the Hobbes novel

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'mma just make up some titles because it doesn't make any difference to the thread:

-"Rick Flapjack" (1982)

-Pool Party Slumber Party (1991)

-Wilbert (1987)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gaius Marius posted:

Never stacked up to the Hobbes novel

Without reading it I'm confident they're better

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'mma just make up some titles because it doesn't make any difference to the thread:

-"Rick Flapjack" (1982)

-Wilbert (1987)

Rick Flapjack is a classic

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Bogus Adventure posted:

You should have watched the 1989 movie of the same name.
Much more fun

"Been through?! Bitch, we still here!"

Ernie Hudson didn't get the fame he deserved.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

"Been through?! Bitch, we still here!"

Ernie Hudson didn't get the fame he deserved.

He’s the best thing in Congo and that movie has Tim Curry, Joe Don Baker, Laura Linney, AND Bruce Campbell

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"No Gimmicks Needed" Steve the Samurai (dir. Ferrara, 2002)

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am gonna be mean and say the new indiana jones. there are parts i like but it played it super duper safe and it kinda "neutures" the movie when indie or new girl dont even shoot anyone even the nazis. i hit a point when they were doing a 20 plus min car chase that sucked and i just gave up and wanted to leave. it never added anything and just made me depressed.

I didn't even watch it. Indy is a family favorite, I watched the original trilogy a dozen times with my grandfather, and nothing I saw of the trailers convinced me that was going to be nothing more than a cash grab.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best adventure movie of all time. A masterclass in blocking and modern use of noir lighting and shadow. It's sad that they've lost that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was gonna say American Beauty but basically every movie about mildly sad yuppies at any stage in life.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

Rubber is 85 minutes long and is runs out of steam about 3 minutes into its runtime. It's a movie that feels like a parody of arthouse movies, but they forgot to actually do anything funny or interesting with that idea.

I was literally about to post about this godawful movie, get out of my brain magic man :tinfoil:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-"Rick Flapjack" (1982)

-Wilbert (1987)

I will agree with you on Pool Party Slumber Party and Wilbert but "Rick Flapjack" doesn't meet the criteria for this thread because while it's bad it's far too racist and distasteful, even for the early 80's, to be considered truly boring. Tom Hanks is lucky this didn't kill his burgeoning career on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

When I saw Wilbert, I mistook it for Willard at first. I was about to start screaming a la Sisko: