Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
The Babadook. The creature sound effects were from some early 1990 video game, and the big reveal that the real monster was her trauma all along I felt like the entire forum had played a prank on me to get me to waste my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

LaserPrinter69 posted:

The Babadook. The creature sound effects were from some early 1990 video game, and the big reveal that the real monster was her trauma all along I felt like the entire forum had played a prank on me to get me to waste my time.

It is rather funny that her trauma is now considered a gay icon

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LaserPrinter69 posted:

That's barely worth a spoiler, I think every vaguely genre movie and TV show in the last 15 years has had that theme. Maybe all of fiction, generally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All horror movies are about stuff that people are afraid of

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McSpanky posted:

That's barely worth a spoiler, I think every vaguely genre movie and TV show in the last 15 years has had that theme. Maybe all of fiction, generally.

Definitely half the cartoons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween Jack posted:

All horror movies are about stuff that people are afraid of

I ain’t afraid of no ghost

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
18 to Party

It's like the pre-teen actors also wrote, directed, filmed, and produced it. And even then if I were their junior high drama & AV teacher I'd give them a C at best.

Although it may have been one of the comedies so bad I couldn't finish them.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 25, 2023

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

A Prairie Home Companion.

Being a bland, white, Lutheran midwesterner with a German/Scandinavian background I found the actual radio show entertaining enough at the time, so I figured a movie version would probably be pretty decent. And hey, it's an Altman film! Why not give it a shot?

What I got was one of the few times I was tempted to walk out of the theater. Just absolutely dull, boring, lifeless and pointless. At least the radio program showed some spark of wit at times.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was gonna say American Beauty but basically every movie about mildly sad yuppies at any stage in life.

american beauty is a really good answer. yikes

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Yeah once they used a generic monster sound effect I've heard a hundred times before the movie lost all power for me. And the monster itself was just some dandy fella.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
The Dead Don't Die.

Genuinely insulting in how much of a pretentious, masturbatory waste of time that movie is.

I was genuinely angry by the end of it when it became so very clear that the director had no respect for his audience.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'll stick my neck out and submit a sacred cow (while conceding that I probably wouldn't call it "pointless" and can acknowledge that it's well shot and acted so it's only a partial example anyway): I'm sorry but I've tried three separate times and Rosemary's Baby has just never done anything for me and I can legit say it's one of those most boring movies I've ever seen. I think it's mostly because it feels like for so much of the running time the audience is waaaayyyy ahead of Rosemary as far as her predicament goes and while I guess that was meant to be suspenseful I just found it really tedious. Maybe you had to be there?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bucketybuck posted:

The Dead Don't Die.

Genuinely insulting in how much of a pretentious, masturbatory waste of time that movie is.

I was genuinely angry by the end of it when it became so very clear that the director had no respect for his audience.

It wasn't entirely pointless. It did give us Adam Driver saying, "GHOULS."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gavok posted:

It wasn't entirely pointless. It did give us Adam Driver saying, "GHOULS."

The scene where Tilda Swinton turns on a computer by waving her hand over it got a big laugh when I saw it in a theatre. And for some reason her line reading of "is he the physically attractive one?" is stuck in my head. But it went way too far into fourth wall breaking and lost the audience.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Dinosaur '79 (1976)

Adventure in Dinosaur Basin (Video, 1997)

Snacky! The Movie (aka Jurassic Pet) (1995)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dinosaur '79 (1976)

Not to be confused with Dinosaur '76 (1979)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Not to be confused with Dinosaur '76 (1979)

Not to be confused with Dinosaurs '69 (1991-1995)

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

Clipperton posted:

Watching Air with Damon and Affleck felt like skimming a Wikipedia article

Felt the same about the Tetris movie.
They're now making multiple "Stories of things that happened 20 years ago" movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm sure the 2019 Lion King movie has been mentioned but that's for sure mine.

The dumbest thing about it is how "real" the animals are. Because actual animals can emote dammit!

Like yeah sure not in the 1:1 anthropomorphized way you see in a cartoon but like, look at a lion or plenty of other animals irl, like, animals have a ton body language and in this case facial expressions a human can parse.

This movie has so many shots of a just head on shot of lions that look bored as gently caress?

Like I don't understand how you can have so much clear technical know-how on screen and still have the faces feel so stiff and lifeless. Like they put a little work into kid Simba and just said gently caress it to everything else.

Looking back now maybe it was like the recent Flash movie where execs were hype about it and put a lot of money in because it was another "hell yeah this is the future if this hits big we won't need to pay actors ever again!" attempt.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure the 2019 Lion King movie has been mentioned but that's for sure mine.

The dumbest thing about it is how "real" the animals are. Because actual animals can emote dammit!

Like yeah sure not in the 1:1 anthropomorphized way you see in a cartoon but like, look at a lion or plenty of other animals irl, like, animals have a ton body language and in this case facial expressions a human can parse.

In their very slight defense, humans are very bad at this and mostly just transpose human gestures into the animals (cf 30 billion posts about dogs smiling)

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I fell asleep watching Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. Can't really remember much else about that one.

There's also that one Terrence Malick movie about World War II (I think it was A Hidden Life). Like, I hate Nazis as much as anyone, but the only thing I remember about that movie is being annoyed by all of the god drat jump cuts.

E: Thinking about it more, I wouldn't call A Hidden Life pointless. I just really hated all of those jump cuts.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

There's also that one Terrence Malick movie about World War II (I think it was A Hidden Life).

Pretty sure your thinking of The Thin Red Line. Beautifully shot but yeah sometimes the long solider philosophizing to themselves scenes could get a touch dull. I don't remember the jump cuts but it's but I last saw it on releases so oh Jesus that like 25 years ago now.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Polo-Rican posted:

american beauty is a really good answer. yikes

Yeah the hype around American Beauty was really wild. It reminded me of those Literature (with the capital L ) books we had to read in high school that clearly spoke to the troubles that our middle-aged teachers were suffering from and us, teenagers, had no loving idea about.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure your thinking of The Thin Red Line. Beautifully shot but yeah sometimes the long solider philosophizing to themselves scenes could get a touch dull. I don't remember the jump cuts but it's but I last saw it on releases so oh Jesus that like 25 years ago now.

Excuse me, the Thin Red Line has Woody Harrelson say “I blew up my butt!” It’s a laugh riot!

Wait, it’s not a comedy?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
After about the twentieth flashback of the guy frolicking with his wife in The Thin Red Line I think we all understood she was going to leave him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

dr_rat posted:

No, it probably is A Hidden Life, his (imo one-note and repetitive) 2019 film about Franz Jägerstätter.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I fell asleep watching Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. Can't really remember much else about that one.

That was such a weird experience the first time I saw it, because I think it just didn't translate well for American audiences who aren't familiar with the story or with British spy stuff. I saw it again after watching the 70s miniseries and liked it a lot more, but the first time around all the stuff that's suggested or elided completely flew over my head and I just had no idea what was going on.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That was such a weird experience the first time I saw it, because I think it just didn't translate well for American audiences who aren't familiar with the story or with British spy stuff. I saw it again after watching the 70s miniseries and liked it a lot more, but the first time around all the stuff that's suggested or elided completely flew over my head and I just had no idea what was going on.

Oh yeah. Cambridge Five and the general atmosphere of paranoia in British intelligence is well known and has been mined repeatedly over there. For American audiences? They might as well have been speaking Greek. It's also a different style of filming than Hollywood is used to doing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

marshmallow creep posted:

I was extremely high when I watched it and it felt three days long. I kept thinking out loud "so are they saying X" and then the next scene would be the makers of movie looking my extremely high rear end dead in the eyes "that's exactly what we're saying."

Rubber is loving great because the opening scene is one of the characters talking direct to the camera and the audience telling you there's no reason to have made this film. I do love that people get to the end of it and are mad like they weren't warned :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

TTSS is great, but I still think that an intricate spy novel was an odd choice to adapt to a silent film. I didn't understand the plot until I rewatched it with the optional captions that explain what the characters are saying. I also wish they had done more with the music, like a real old timey silent film, since there's no audible dialogue to worry about.

bking
Dec 19, 2005

Comments: 206-495-6525
I couldn’t wait for Boyhood to end.

The whole gimmick of shooting it over the course of thirteen (or however many) years did not justify how much that movie dragged and meandered.

People love it, so maybe I’m just a dummy, but goddamn did I hate that experience.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd say some of you need to watch worse films, but you don't. Good job!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly I’d throw boyhood in this pile too. The gimmick was interesting but I couldn’t relate that much once he became a teen. Nothing really happened.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I’m going to say Songbird.

It was clearly trying to be a Covid-19 thriller, but it was unclear if it was for or against the restrictions. Just a horribly bad movie that’s not unhinged enough to be interesting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sourdough Sam posted:

Joker - I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie pretend so hard to be "cinema". The comparisons to The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver are obvious but the writing is also film school level. "I thought my life was a tragedy, but it turns out it's a comedy." And why the Garry Glitter song? What does it symbolize other than "check it out. We put a pedo's hit song in the film"?

This film is the perfect example of something pointless. Taxi Driver already exists and was made in response to the cultural conditions of the 1970s. Why do we need a movie in the present that responds to the cultural conditions of the 1970s? What’s the point? Novelty that it can be recreated?

Also notable for having a plot point that would have been impossible in the 70s, as the Joker becomes a notable figure in the city within a week because his horrible set at a comedy club is recorded and goes viral, to the point that a Jay Leno analogue features it on his late-night show. How? How are people watching and sharing this single vhs/beta tape of a guy bombing at a comedy club? If you have a boner for grimy 70s New York character studies, actually learn about what could and couldn’t happen in the 1970s.

Also the Joker has a job as a guy who stands around twirling a sign, and I’m pretty sure nobody did that until post-2000 zoning laws made it impossible to just plant a sign in the ground in a lot of places.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I saw Leave The World Behind being hyped up everywhere, and it was one of the most boring movies I’ve ever seen. I’d have rather watched 2 hours of static

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is only one place that I've seen it being reviewed favorably and it was a place with a personal relationship with the director. The rest of the world seems to find it tepid

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

I AM GRANDO posted:

This film is the perfect example of something pointless. Taxi Driver already exists and was made in response to the cultural conditions of the 1970s. Why do we need a movie in the present that responds to the cultural conditions of the 1970s? What’s the point? Novelty that it can be recreated?

Not to pile on, but yeah I'll have to say Joker is pretty high on the "pointless and boring" list for me, too. I was especially annoyed how the movie went out of its way to pretty much not comment or provide any form of judgment on the character from any direction. I know all movies actually have the audience provide their own meaning and all that, but I should at least feel the illusion that the movie is saying something. As it is all I can do is shrug, "Can't say I like this Joker fella, and I don't particularly care whose fault that is."

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
There are some themes of classism and how the dregs of society are largely ignored unless they're entertaining to gawk at. I think the movie would be a hell of a lot more interesting if he was actually a really good comedian on the stage but troubled in real life but that would make it even more of a King of Comedy wannabe.

I really didn't like this movie, but the idea of the sequel being a musical is at least intriguing. Maybe they'll rip off Norman Jewison or Bob Fosse this time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Not to pile on, but yeah I'll have to say Joker is pretty high on the "pointless and boring" list for me, too. I was especially annoyed how the movie went out of its way to pretty much not comment or provide any form of judgment on the character from any direction. I know all movies actually have the audience provide their own meaning and all that, but I should at least feel the illusion that the movie is saying something. As it is all I can do is shrug, "Can't say I like this Joker fella, and I don't particularly care whose fault that is."

it's a really enthralling performance from Joaquin Phoenix too and it's just...wasted. all in service of an empty + derivative movie. I don't like superhero movies but by the end I wished it was a straight comicbook movie instead of whatever that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Most boring pointless movie : Midsommar

Just a violent boring miserable slog of a movie.