Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sourdough Sam posted:

Joker - I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie pretend so hard to be "cinema". The comparisons to The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver are obvious but the writing is also film school level. "I thought my life was a tragedy, but it turns out it's a comedy." And why the Garry Glitter song? What does it symbolize other than "check it out. We put a pedo's hit song in the film"?

This film is the perfect example of something pointless. Taxi Driver already exists and was made in response to the cultural conditions of the 1970s. Why do we need a movie in the present that responds to the cultural conditions of the 1970s? What’s the point? Novelty that it can be recreated?

Also notable for having a plot point that would have been impossible in the 70s, as the Joker becomes a notable figure in the city within a week because his horrible set at a comedy club is recorded and goes viral, to the point that a Jay Leno analogue features it on his late-night show. How? How are people watching and sharing this single vhs/beta tape of a guy bombing at a comedy club? If you have a boner for grimy 70s New York character studies, actually learn about what could and couldn’t happen in the 1970s.

Also the Joker has a job as a guy who stands around twirling a sign, and I’m pretty sure nobody did that until post-2000 zoning laws made it impossible to just plant a sign in the ground in a lot of places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Wait did Scoob and the gang really have to solve a mystery about a ghost that goes around singing Chantilly Lace?

They needed to help him solve his murder at the hands of Ritichie Valens.