Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Hakkesshu posted:

Rise of Skywalker is up there. Just the most pointless lazy drivel ever conceived at that kind of scale.

Honestly, I appreciated how poo poo ROS was. It was clearly a hack job to try and appeal to the angry nerds who were salty over Last Jedi and it’s rejection of all the mystery box plot lines Abrams set up but it was upfront with it being a pile of poo poo.

Amsterdam, on the other hand, had me getting angrier every passing minute. I don’t know exactly when my anger boiled over from infuriated to flabbergasted but I walked out of the theater shell shocked that they had wasted Bale and DeNiro on such a banal, saccharine, garbage movie. It’s doubly sad because apparently Bale has wanted to play the doctor in the movie for a long time. Just a disgusting waste of everyone in the movie’s talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Gaius Marius posted:

Swift getting car'd is hilarious though

The only silver lining in that particular pile of poo poo.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am gonna be mean and say the new indiana jones. there are parts i like but it played it super duper safe and it kinda "neutures" the movie when indie or new girl dont even shoot anyone even the nazis. i hit a point when they were doing a 20 plus min car chase that sucked and i just gave up and wanted to leave. it never added anything and just made me depressed.

I didn't even watch it. Indy is a family favorite, I watched the original trilogy a dozen times with my grandfather, and nothing I saw of the trailers convinced me that was going to be nothing more than a cash grab.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best adventure movie of all time. A masterclass in blocking and modern use of noir lighting and shadow. It's sad that they've lost that.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

american beauty is a really good answer. yikes

Yeah the hype around American Beauty was really wild. It reminded me of those Literature (with the capital L ) books we had to read in high school that clearly spoke to the troubles that our middle-aged teachers were suffering from and us, teenagers, had no loving idea about.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That was such a weird experience the first time I saw it, because I think it just didn't translate well for American audiences who aren't familiar with the story or with British spy stuff. I saw it again after watching the 70s miniseries and liked it a lot more, but the first time around all the stuff that's suggested or elided completely flew over my head and I just had no idea what was going on.

Oh yeah. Cambridge Five and the general atmosphere of paranoia in British intelligence is well known and has been mined repeatedly over there. For American audiences? They might as well have been speaking Greek. It's also a different style of filming than Hollywood is used to doing.