Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Maybe some combination of crew experience (new captain or FO on high mins) and inop equipment? that is an interesting mystery. what airline and where are you going? anything over water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

They got a mechanic to drive in and swap a computer. I'm thinking autoland probably makes sense. They did mention that weather is good where we're going, so it sounded like they just needed company approval to do something not standard. edit: delta to MSP, no water

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Sitting on an a319 that isn't departing because "there is an inoperative equipment or system, which we are legal to fly without, but to do so requires a qualification which none of the pilots have". I can't think of what that could possibly be. They're waiting on a company phone call, so maybe it's a company policy thing, not FAR. Any ideas what could be broken?

My best guess is rvsm related, which doesn't seem right.

I'm scratching my head as to what this could be. The only things that require special qualifications for broken equipment are post maintenance or ferry flights and paying passengers are strictly prohibited on those. My guess is that something got lost in translation, maybe a pilot wasn't comfortable flying with a certain system inop based on the circumstances and somehow that ended up getting announced as "the pilots aren't qualified."

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Sitting on an a319 that isn't departing because "there is an inoperative equipment or system, which we are legal to fly without, but to do so requires a qualification which none of the pilots have". I can't think of what that could possibly be. They're waiting on a company phone call, so maybe it's a company policy thing, not FAR. Any ideas what could be broken?

My best guess is rvsm related, which doesn't seem right.

The only thing I can think of is the plane became a no ice aircraft and icing was somewhere near the approach.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

I'm scratching my head as to what this could be. The only things that require special qualifications for broken equipment are post maintenance or ferry flights and paying passengers are strictly prohibited on those. My guess is that something got lost in translation, maybe a pilot wasn't comfortable flying with a certain system inop based on the circumstances and somehow that ended up getting announced as "the pilots aren't qualified."

Could that have gotten mangled from something requiring a longer flight/longer alternatives which would time them out?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone have recommendations for digital/ebook editions of the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge? I have the free PDFs from FAA.gov, and I have also purchased the AFM from the Kindle store before realizing it's effectively just the PDF.

I'm looking for ebook versions that support text scaling and resizing - the text from the PDFs is absolutely miniscule on an iPad Mini.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wombot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for digital/ebook editions of the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge? I have the free PDFs from FAA.gov, and I have also purchased the AFM from the Kindle store before realizing it's effectively just the PDF.

I'm looking for ebook versions that support text scaling and resizing - the text from the PDFs is absolutely miniscule on an iPad Mini.

I thought I had my copies that I hand-converted to epub back in the day, but I can't find them. If you don't mind having a separate "book" for each chapter, any of the online pdf->epub converters should work fine.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Here's a dumb question:

In my piper archer, the shoes I'm currently wearing are good normal shoes but I don't have a lot of feel in the toes so I often end up putting my foot too far up on the rudder pedals and I hit a bar that kinda stops me from having full authority. Obviously moving my foot down solves this issue but I am looking to pick up a better pair of shoes/sneakers that have good toe feel.

Any recommendations from other ga pilots?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I had a good experience with basic Vans. I think anything with fairly thin rubber soles and a tighter toe box should be fine.

Pipers do kinda suck when it comes to that weird crossbar thing. You eventually just develop muscle memory for proper foot position.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you have giant clown feet get something minimal like converse or vans. If you’re under like a size 13 just wear whatever you want and practice more.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
You can look into driving shoes from a company like Piloti. It might give you the toe feel you are looking for.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.merrell.com/CA/en_CA/trail-glove-7/56426M.html?dwvar_56426M_color=J068139

I love these.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
As someone with big dumb feet (US size 13 4E width) l just used newbalance sneakers as a student and Dunham dress shoes as an instructor.

A lot of instructors will tell you to keep your heels on the floor to prevent landing with brakes applied. I've never been able to do that while still maintaining proper rudder authority so I'll just leave my feet on the pedals in a "normal" position and make sure I only press them with my heel and not the whole foot until I'm ready to use brakes.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

... Are you telling me you aren't supposed to fly with your heels on the floor and it's just something my CFI told me to not accidentally brake on takeoff?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

fly with flip-flops, be free.

(I totally never ever did this during my Caribbean island hopping days)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Animal posted:

(I totally never ever did this while flying a 747 while also in sweatpants and a tank top)

fixed

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
For anyone who has flown a Diamond Aircraft: how was it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Only flown a Da20 and it's really nice for what it is. Da40 is supposedly even nicer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m a club member with DA40NGs.

It’s tits.

The engine is superb, if slightly underpowered. The climb rate is uhhhh. Gentle. Oh, and if you’re over ~6’2”, it’s kind of a crapshoot on if you physically fit in the thing. The seats are fixed and the rudder pedals adjust, so if your torso is too tall, you’re just SoL. Rudder forces can be a bit high as well if you’re used to a 172. Plenty of authority, just heavy.

The bad stuff out of the way, holy poo poo the engine. Literally automotive stuff, so it starts without having to think about it. It’s FADEC with a constant speed prop, and it’s turbocharged, so it makes power all the way up. (Critical altitude is ~12500ft) It’s slippery as well, so 90% power gets you 140ktas or more above 6000ft. Since the engine is liquid cooled, you get a water/air heater core that doesn’t try to CO poison you when something cracks, and hooooo boy does the heat kick rear end. This is actually another small negative in warm climates: You’re right up against the engine, and you can tell. It’s really nice when it gets cold out though.

Cockpit visibility is superb; Better than a 172 in my opinion, despite the wing. The elevator and ailerons are pushrod actuated, so the stick has just excellent control feel. There’s just a takeoff and a landing flaps setting, with most of the lift coming with the former, and the latter functioning essentially like speed brakes.

The G1000nxi/GFC700 loving rules. It’s everything you could want in a GA airplane. It has absolutely ruined me on any other panel. Oh, and it has an air conditioner. It’s not able to keep up with South Florida summers (that canopy greenhouse is in desperate need of tint,) but it’s noticeable even then. It keeps you from wanting to die during taxi-out and initial climb.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I instructed in 20s and 40s, they’re great to fly and this is coming from someone who’s flown a lot of different GA poo poo over their life.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Animal posted:

(I totally never ever did this during my Caribbean island hopping days)

I wore sandals for my first few flights until my instructor showed a pretty decent scar from where the oil pressure gauge line broke and sprayed his leg and foot. From then on, I wore long pants and closed-toe shoes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fuckin wacky to me that most GA planes just have the engine oil system plumbed directly into the instrument panel.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Hey man I just picked these up, they feel great, though I'm not too sure on what the fit is supposed to be like for shoes like this...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Hey man I just picked these up, they feel great, though I'm not too sure on what the fit is supposed to be like for shoes like this...

If you run in them, fairly snug, if not, whatever's comfortable

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it's fuckin wacky to me that most GA planes just have the engine oil system plumbed directly into the instrument panel.

that and full on high voltage right to the ammeter too

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Yeah lol it's as if they took the air data probes and pl..... oh wait

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So uh, I have a Delta zulu headset and today while practicing slow flight it gave me a carbon monoxide warning. My instructor said that's normal and it went away after we ended slow flight but I'm curious if everyone else thinks that's ok?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve heard that can happen during high AOA flying with the engine throttle up to keep altitude. Haven’t seen it myself but I learned in a 50 year old 182 that had a ton of unintentional fresh air circulation.

Regardless, if I got the warning I would fix the issue and never get complacent towards it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Rolo posted:

I’ve heard that can happen during high AOA flying with the engine throttle up to keep altitude. Haven’t seen it myself but I learned in a 50 year old 182 that had a ton of unintentional fresh air circulation.

Regardless, if I got the warning I would fix the issue and never get complacent towards it.

Yeah my headset registered a peak of 104ppm, which seems dangerously high. once stable normal flight resumed they dropped back to virutally 0, and it didn't sustain at levels over 60ppm during the slow flight even but still I think I should bring it up to someone. My instructor is really good but did somewhat hand waive it as something that happens but I am not sure thats acceptable.

If it happened again, would opening the small slot window next to me be a good idea?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s a Cessna. Open the window. The big one. Hang your elbow out during slow flight like it’s a Chevrolet.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

MrYenko posted:

It’s a Cessna. Open the window. The big one. Hang your elbow out during slow flight like it’s a Chevrolet.

Piper archer but point taken. I'm just trying to figure out if this is worth raising a stink over 100ppm

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kwolok posted:

Piper archer but point taken. I'm just trying to figure out if this is worth raising a stink over 100ppm

https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Carbon-Monoxide-Information-Center/Carbon-Monoxide-Questions-and-Answers

CPSC posted:

The health effects of CO depend on the CO concentration and length of exposure, as well as each individual's health condition. CO concentration is measured in parts per million (ppm). Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm but some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headache, fatigue and nausea. At sustained CO concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.

Yeah, I'd raise a stink. If 100ppm can cause headache, fatigue and nausea? That's a flight safety issue.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s really cool that it gives you specific readings like that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It has two ppm thresholds I can set, one for a CO warning and one for a critical alert. It was a little quiet in my ears when it happened but I think I need to be flying with my headset at full volume and my radio turned down a bit.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My CO monitor often flashes 100ppm or so for a bit right after landing Cherokees, I think there’s just something about the exhaust position and aerodynamics that does it. But at 100-200 I think you’ve got a few hours of continuous exposure before symptoms really kick in, it’s when you get 400+ that it becomes an immediate problem.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
At the least make a squawk so the flight school is aware. It's "probably" not going to kill you or others but a papertrail might scare them into action. We had an exhaust crack on our C177 that we didn't know about, a couple failed CO monitors helped point it out.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Maksimus54 posted:

At the least make a squawk so the flight school is aware. It's "probably" not going to kill you or others but a papertrail might scare them into action. We had an exhaust crack on our C177 that we didn't know about, a couple failed CO monitors helped point it out.

Making a squawk is the right call. Especially as a student. If the mechanic comes to you and tells you the aerodynamics of the aircraft in slow flight will cause this and it's not a MX issue, then that's learning for everyone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
All this slow flight chat is furthering my itch to get back into GA. I get off of first year pay on the 19th (and off probation woopwoop) and my goon rear end is still single so I could finally swing it if I wanted to budget some flight club fun bux.

Crazy to think I've been at the airline for a year.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Well, after even more weather and work delays, I flight tested yesterday and am now a private pilot! Now writing a sternly worded letter to The Minister admonishing them on having standards low enough to let me in the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Congratulations! How was the ride?