Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Nofeed posted:

Well, after even more weather and work delays, I flight tested yesterday and am now a private pilot! Now writing a sternly worded letter to The Minister admonishing them on having standards low enough to let me in the club.

Congrats! I wanna hear more deets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nofeed posted:

Well, after even more weather and work delays, I flight tested yesterday and am now a private pilot! Now writing a sternly worded letter to The Minister admonishing them on having standards low enough to let me in the club.

Congratulations, we'll have to get the first post updated.

And while e.pilot is there, he can adjust my status, because I'm now Flight Instructor - Class 1, after a successful flight test today! First bit of weather luck I've had all year, for the most part...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Why am I even looking at Aerotrader ugh

https://www.aerotrader.com/listing/1981-Yakovlev-YAK-52-5030828081

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Now that I'm on the 777* I get a total of 2-3 landings per month at best. I've been feeling the same itch to get back into GA but I've found that messing around in virtual reality in DCS scratches the "Actually flying an airplane" part pretty well for a fraction of the cost, time, and effort investment. That plus I get to pretend to land airplanes on boats which is usually not allowed under part 91.

*If we're still doing OP updates I'm now officially LAX/777

Rolo posted:

Crazy to think I've been at the airline for a year.

Congrats! What's next, CA, widebody FO, or senior narrowbody FO?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Senior FO after a year? Wild poo poo. 7 years at my airline and I can be a super junior captain on the west coast! Dang kids these days

(I'm kidding obvs congrats its great to be off probation!)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats! What's next, CA, widebody FO, or senior narrowbody FO?

Shoot that’s the question. Prolly NB captain in 25-26, maybe move to New York to facilitate that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Making a squawk is the right call. Especially as a student. If the mechanic comes to you and tells you the aerodynamics of the aircraft in slow flight will cause this and it's not a MX issue, then that's learning for everyone.

I used to feel self-conscious about squawking dumb little things like a loose window hinge or a finicky radio knob. Like, it's stuff that is objectively broken, and with my background and experience it bothers me when mechanical things aren't working properly and I will go out of my way to put them back the way they're supposed to be. For instance, right now I am casting a bunch of custom shaped silicone bushings in a 3D printed mold because some of the fairing mounts on my motorcycle are dried out and you can't get the original part anymore. Most people just use a stack of generic rubber washers to approximate the right shape and it works fine. But that's not right. So here we are :spergin:

Anyway, I saw these small things that bothered me, but I didn't know whether I was clogging up the mechanics' inbox with stuff I should just ignore. As a result I wrote some of the squawks apologetically.

The MX chief found me eventually and said no, please absolutely report everything that you notice if you even suspect it might be wrong, because we'd much rather replace a 5 cent locknut on the window hinge right now than the entire window when it falls out in flight a month from now.

Squawk all day erryday

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 12, 2024

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

All this slow flight chat is furthering my itch to get back into GA. I get off of first year pay on the 19th (and off probation woopwoop) and my goon rear end is still single so I could finally swing it if I wanted to budget some flight club fun bux.

Crazy to think I've been at the airline for a year.
Same on the GA front. I even have a friend who runs a flight school at HNL and would gladly check me out but due to a combination of :effort: and constant use of flight benefits to visit friends and family out of town it has yet to happen.

Nofeed posted:

Congrats! :toot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

I used to feel self-conscious about squawking dumb little things like a loose window hinge or a finicky radio knob. Like, it's stuff that is objectively broken, and with my background and experience it bothers me when mechanical things aren't working properly and I will go out of my way to put them back the way they're supposed to be. For instance, right now I am casting a bunch of custom shaped silicone bushings in a 3D printed mold because some of the fairing mounts on my motorcycle are dried out and you can't get the original part anymore. Most people just use a stack of generic rubber washers to approximate the right shape and it works fine. But that's not right. So here we are :spergin:

Anyway, I saw these small things that bothered me, but I didn't know whether I was clogging up the mechanics' inbox with stuff I should just ignore. As a result I wrote some of the squawks apologetically.

The MX chief found me eventually and said no, please absolutely report everything that you notice if you even suspect it might be wrong, because we'd much rather replace a 5 cent locknut on the window hinge right now than the entire window when it falls out in flight a month from now.

Squawk all day erryday

The only thing more expensive than maintenance is not doing it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

DCS ... a fraction of the cost, time, and effort investment.

Haha, good one

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Aviation Megathread 10-9:

MrYenko posted:

The only thing more expensive than maintenance is not doing it.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Aviation Megathread 10-9:

Can you get me on the OP as PGH PPL ASEL / Eternal IFR Student

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If we’re doing OP stuff I got typed on the CL-604 and A320 at some point

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for all the congrats! It's only just hitting me a couple days later that I am actually a pilot now what the heck. I set "Completing PPL" as the decision point for whether to pursue a career in aviation, and I am absolutely going forward with this. 14 years in the army has got real old and it's time to grow up and get a real job. Looking forward to flying as much as possible this summer before the province burns down.

Reading everyone's personal journeys with careers in aviation in this thread has been helpful and illuminating, I appreciate you all for posting through it.

PT6A posted:

And while e.pilot is there, he can adjust my status, because I'm now Flight Instructor - Class 1, after a successful flight test today! First bit of weather luck I've had all year, for the most part...

Canada - PPL for me please, e.pilot!

Kwolok posted:

Congrats! I wanna hear more deets.

It was a more relaxing test environment than I expected (Though I was still far more nervous than I had to be) The assessor had a good 150 lbs on my flight instructor and we were full fuel, it still surprised me how much more power I needed for some of the maneuvers, especially slow flight.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Waiting on the local airport to call me back with hangar waitlist info. I think this is the year of “owning an airplane research.”

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Nofeed posted:

Thanks for all the congrats! It's only just hitting me a couple days later that I am actually a pilot now what the heck. I set "Completing PPL" as the decision point for whether to pursue a career in aviation, and I am absolutely going forward with this. 14 years in the army has got real old and it's time to grow up and get a real job. Looking forward to flying as much as possible this summer before the province burns down.

Reading everyone's personal journeys with careers in aviation in this thread has been helpful and illuminating, I appreciate you all for posting through it.

Canada - PPL for me please, e.pilot!

It was a more relaxing test environment than I expected (Though I was still far more nervous than I had to be) The assessor had a good 150 lbs on my flight instructor and we were full fuel, it still surprised me how much more power I needed for some of the maneuvers, especially slow flight.

How many hours did you have when you got the license? I am wondering how many hours its going to take me...

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Waiting on the local airport to call me back with hangar waitlist info. I think this is the year of “owning an airplane research.”

Good luck. Call all of them and get put on the wait list now.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Also, does anyone have any recommended brands for seat cushions for a Piper Archer. The seats are painfully uncomfortable and I'm a little low in it because I'm a short King and there's a few brands out there but they're all surprisingly expensive so I'm wondering if there's one you would recommend before I spend the money

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

Fastest update ever, the entire CLT area is out of hangar space until the end of time.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yeah unfortunately the only way to get hanger space now is to buy a place that comes with hanger space

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Fastest update ever, the entire CLT area is out of hangar space until the end of time.

LiterallyEveryMetroAreaInTheUS.txt

Aviation is rapidly becoming a hobby for well to do people who live in the sticks.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm getting difference training for constant speed props next week. It's a Rotax.

There's one thing that I want to ask. Not about the workings or operations of the thing, that part is well explained. But it's a bit more historical.

When I watch tutorials or read article, there's a bunch of sources telling me to never ever run the engine oversuare, unless the very exceptional case that the POH might allow it. Oversquare meaning here that you have higher manifold pressure than RPM/100. It's likened to trying to drive a car up a hill from a standstill in fifth gear.

The thing is, according to my POH, running oversquare is far from the exception - it's in fact the norm. At sea level for 75% power, you're expected to run the engine at 27Hg @2100rpm. The manual does state that you should avoid lowering the rpm too far under 3000 feet, but at basically at any altitude that isn't class A in my area, you'll be flying oversquare.

So, is this oversquaring panic just an urban legend that boomer pilots tell each other in the hangar? Is it a remnant of poo poo engines from the past? Is it a difference between Rotax and Lycoming?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
It is mostly urban legends from WW2.

And just to really mess with that bullshit the rotary is a geared engine. So the relationship between manifold pressure and RPM is even further from the theory on this being harmful. See also: turbocharged engines for more information samples of how oversquare doesn’t make much sense.

Run the engine according to the charts in the POH and you will be fine.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

So, is this oversquaring panic just an urban legend that boomer pilots tell each other in the hangar? Is it a remnant of poo poo engines from the past? Is it a difference between Rotax and Lycoming?

It's an old wives tale.

While you can damage stuff by running low RPM and high MP, that only happens in extreme cases (basically full throttle with the prop at high pitch), so as long as you're following the guidance for your airplane/engine combo, it's absolutely fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know I’ve been blowing the thread up but I gotta say being a lineholder with a trip trade system is hilarious quality-of-life compared to my 9 years of 91/135 flying. It still blows my mind.

I got delayed the other night and got home at like 2am. I’m a little tired still and wanna do some stuff around here this week so I took my next trip and traded it for a long layover in SAN next weekend. Now I have more time off and I’m looking forward to my next work day.

I’m telling you all this because I have to tell someone and my corporate desk job friends are going to stab me if I bring up work again.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm entirely too lazy to trade trips, but I've got enough seniority (#4 in base) that I can pretty much pick my schedule, so it's pretty great.

I could go to mainline, but seeing as I'm making more than I can reasonably spend and have a great QoL, I'm not terribly tempted by "commute to SFO on reserve, fly a worse airplane, and take a pay cut for five years", on top of whatever insanity will ensue if Alaska actually buys Hawaiian.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

Closest hangar space to CLT is Lake Norman Air Park where you get to buy a hangar that abuts a grass strip/seaplane taxiway/hard surface that has a 20x25 living space attached to make it count as a "residence" for zoning purposes. For like two million dollars.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Lord Stimperor posted:

When I watch tutorials or read article, there's a bunch of sources telling me to never ever run the engine oversuare

Yeah that's bullshit, because

quote:

according to my POH, running oversquare is far from the exception - it's in fact the norm.

The grain of truth in it is that it's good practice to, when making power changes that involve both levers, to

- when increasing, increase RPM first, and
- when decreasing, decrease throttle first

... which prevents you from temporarily going through the prohibited part of the graph, if you're near it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does GNSS jamming usually cause crazy stuff like this or is whatever was turned on last night extra special? (Or is this aircraft “extra special”?)

https://x.com/combat_learjet/status/1779513559787139452?s=46

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Does GNSS jamming usually cause crazy stuff like this or is whatever was turned on last night extra special? (Or is this aircraft “extra special”?)

https://x.com/combat_learjet/status/1779513559787139452?s=46

Whole range of effects from the innocuous (ANP exceeds RNP, nothing else happens) to the pretty bad (loss of FMS navigation, false FMS navigation by hundreds of miles, false GPWS alerts)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
That post has been deleted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It was a video from the cockpit of an airliner flying at 30,000 ft (as indicated by the pressure altimeter), while the terrain map (drawing from the GPS) was showing red all around them and the GPWS was screaming that they were about to hit the ground.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 14, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
GPS jamming has been pretty much constant presence in south-eastern Finland and has been increasing. In 2023 there were 239 reported cases, while during the first three months of 2024 there has been over 900 cases. There is interference reported yesterday and probably today too.

https://gpsjam.org/?lat=62.74232&lon=31.18603&z=5.1&date=2024-04-13

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm dumb but who is doing this and why?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Pretty certainly Russia. A valid reason would be to try to prevent Ukrainian drones from navigating over the border. Another likely reason is just being a nuisance.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Kwolok posted:

I'm dumb but who is doing this and why?

It's generally assumed that Russia, Israel, and Iran are responsible for most of the GPS interference, and are doing it to confuse GPS guided drones/missiles, and in the case of Iran and Russia, as an "I'm not touching you!" to the rest of the world.

China also does some GPS spoofing, but they seem to be mostly confining it to some localized areas, and generally only mess with shipping while leaving air traffic alone.

A few months ago, there were reports that one (or all) of those groups had figured out how to spoof GPS signals in such a way that airline FMS's would follow the spoofed position without throwing any kind of error message, presumably by "drifting" the position at such a rate that FMS software doesn't realize what's happening.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 14, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, back to INS I suppose.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rolo posted:

Check into Rockingham, and if nothing there Cheraw and Pageland. Bit of a drive but nowhere near as bad as it used to be with that sweet sweet monroe toll bypass operational now

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I will, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Well, back to INS I suppose.

My understanding is that the GPS spoofing is working by exploiting the fact most FMS's use GPS to update the IRS position, as long as there's not more than a specific difference or rate of change.