Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

cool cant wait for some rouge state to get an airliner shot down (again) because they navigated across someones border.

The GPWS warning is new to me bevause i thought it would use the planes altimeters and not gps altitude to get its height info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've been flying with EasyVFR4 recently and its giving me terrain warnings when im joining the circuit

I feel like im a survivor of Russian sabotage

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I realize I am still a complete and utter baby, I am hovering around 20 hours of flight experience and ~30-40 landings total. Again I realize this is not a lot of time at all, but I still feel just so loving poo poo at landings. I am finally starting to get a handle on the comms aspect of the pattern, though that can still be difficult. I am also better at managing all the various things to get configured for approach and stay stable in pattern etc.

But when it comes to putting the plane on the ground its always rough, or I float down the runway or I swerve all over the place after I touch down. My instructor is super encouraging and positive but I feel like I have barely improved after the first few attempts. Like I am stuck in limbo of being loving terrible at this. Today I did 11 touch and goes and three of them were go arounds after bouncing off the pavement...

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Kwolok posted:

So I realize I am still a complete and utter baby, I am hovering around 20 hours of flight experience and ~30-40 landings total. Again I realize this is not a lot of time at all, but I still feel just so loving poo poo at landings. I am finally starting to get a handle on the comms aspect of the pattern, though that can still be difficult. I am also better at managing all the various things to get configured for approach and stay stable in pattern etc.

But when it comes to putting the plane on the ground its always rough, or I float down the runway or I swerve all over the place after I touch down. My instructor is super encouraging and positive but I feel like I have barely improved after the first few attempts. Like I am stuck in limbo of being loving terrible at this. Today I did 11 touch and goes and three of them were go arounds after bouncing off the pavement...

Were you doing all of them at MYF? If so, try going out to a different, less congested airport. There’s no worse feeling in flying than being or feeling rushed, and getting behind the aircraft. Hell, even go out to like L08 or KRNM.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

i am kiss u now posted:

Were you doing all of them at MYF? If so, try going out to a different, less congested airport. There’s no worse feeling in flying than being or feeling rushed, and getting behind the aircraft. Hell, even go out to like L08 or KRNM.

I don't feel rushed or really behind the plane (well ok I don't feel that way most of the time). It's just the act of actually putting the plane on the pavement I suck at, when I'm flattening out a few feet of the run away and trying to just hold the plane off. My descent and approach has gotten pretty good. I'm pretty consistently hitting the numbers in theory, if I didn't suck at that very final step

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Welcome to flying airplanes, this is a very normal part of it.

You are trying to learn a very fine motor skill that requires a lot of hand eye coordination and quick, accurate responses to varying wind and aircraft conditions.

It is typically by far the hardest single maneuver to master.

It took me probably 10-15 hours from starting on landings till my first solo. Then more time getting soft and short field landings passable. I spent several more hours working on landings for my multi engine rating. Hell, I’ve spent the last month training 5 days a week in a 737 simulator, and almost any session we’ve had time left over, I’ve asked to get in a couple more landings, and they just started feeling mostly good most of the time about 3 or 4 sessions ago.

You will chase the high of a consistently greased landing for the rest of your life as an aviator.

Your instructor is encouraging because the only feeling better than nailing a landing is watching a student finally nail them too :v:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 16, 2024

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
The thing that made my landings go from poo poo to repeatable and adequate (assuming your pattern skills are good and you’re flying a stabilized final) was all in having a new instructor say something different to me.

My primary instructor was always telling me over and over to “look down the runway”. And I always felt like I was.

Then, I had a substitute and they told me to “look at the end of the runway”. For some reason that made all the difference for me.

Maybe that’ll work for you!?

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

dexter6 posted:

The thing that made my landings go from poo poo to repeatable and adequate (assuming your pattern skills are good and you’re flying a stabilized final) was all in having a new instructor say something different to me.

My primary instructor was always telling me over and over to “look down the runway”. And I always felt like I was.

Then, I had a substitute and they told me to “look at the end of the runway”. For some reason that made all the difference for me.

Maybe that’ll work for you!?

I concur, "look at the end of the runway" helped turn my crap landings into something that wouldn't make a passenger immediately swear off ever flying again. The other part was dropping the word "flare" from my vocabulary-every time I tried to flare I always pulled too hard and ballooned it. It's more of a consistent smooth change of attitude, not yanking on the yoke.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The two things that helped me a lot were:

1) The chief pilot telling me "look at the top of the trees at the end of the runway" rather than "look down the runway." Like other people, it seems that having a specific point to focus on makes a big difference.

2) Stopping thinking about the flare as putting the plane on the ground, and instead as flying the plane a foot above the ground. Your goal in the flare is not to perform a little bounce and plunk or whatever, but to gently transition from a descent to level flight in the proper attitude just above the runway. Just hold it there, flying the plane level and nose-high just like you do in slow flight, and as you float along, the plane will land like magic as airspeed falls off.

Later on when you start to do short-field stuff you can get more firm about touchdown points. But for now, yeah, just focus on floating along level with the ground and let the plane land when it wants to. It's cliché but true: you fly the plane right until it stops moving.

e: fyi i didn't solo until nearly 30 hours and my landings were real crap while learning -- I even landed with the brakes held a couple of times :whitewater: -- to the point that one instructor chewed me out and expressed just how unready I was to fly by myself. It hurt. But when I did my checkride, I drew the most notorious hardass DPE in the area, and at the end of the exam? He said I had aced every maneuver and told my instructor "I'd fly checkrides with guys like him any day." It was one of the best days of my life. You will learn!

vvvvvv Yeah absolutely put your gaze in the distance and let your peripheral vision steer the plane. If you focus too close you weave all over the place.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 16, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Alright thanks guys, I'll keep all this in mind as I keep practicing. Practicing transitioning across airspaces tomorrow but hopefully will get a few landings in as well. Oddly my instructor has never really told me to look down the run way, I think maybe that point of reference could help me a lot.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

platauing is a totally normal part of training and eventually youll move past it. flying is like any skill in that occasionally youll be bad at it. hell ive been flying my airplane for thousands of hours and i still have a crummy landing now and then. dont lose hope youll get better!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

platauing is a totally normal part of training and eventually youll move past it. flying is like any skill in that occasionally youll be bad at it. hell ive been flying my airplane for thousands of hours and i still have a crummy landing now and then. dont lose hope youll get better!

This.

Not every landing is going to be a "greaser", but if you get to the point where your landings are consistently on centerline, in the touchdown zone, and aren't side-loading the gear, you'll be doing better than a lot of pilots out there.

The advice people gave earlier about looking at the end of the runway and trying *not* to let the airplane touch down is solid, and you'll eventually get to a point where landings "click" for you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Arson Daily posted:

Either my landings are smooth and the pax love it or I pancake the poo poo out of it on the thousand footers and the feds love it.

I win either way!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

azflyboy posted:

you'll eventually get to a point where landings "click" for you.

This is cliche too but it's accurate. I was struggling, struggling, struggling, couldn't figure it out, and then one day something in my brain and body clicked and was like "ohhhhhhhh" and I went from 20% decent landings to 80% basically overnight.i don't know what changed. But that's how it works

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A non-smooth landing doesn’t mean your landing isn’t safe, either. You could make the smoothest landing in the world but if you’re beyond the touchdown zone or off centerline you could kill yourself.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

A non-smooth landing doesn’t mean your landing isn’t safe, either. You could make the smoothest landing in the world but if you’re beyond the touchdown zone or off centerline you could kill yourself.

I had a flight attendant poo poo all over one of my landings while in the hotel van and the captain was nice enough to explain to her why smoothness isn't a priority when you're dealing with a hefty crosswind "bUt iT CoUld hAvE BeEn sMoOthEr"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Exactly.

I frequently fly into airports that have marginal runway lengths for airline operations (especially if it's hot or we're carrying extra approach speed for icing or gusts), and the best landings there are the ones where you simply plant the airplane in the touchdown zone and let the brakes/spoilers/reversers do their thing.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

:siren: Checkride down :siren:

Requesting OP entry update (wow mine is several behind)

KSNA - ATP AMEL CFI/II/MEI IR, B737, CE-500, CE-560XL

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

I had a flight attendant poo poo all over one of my landings while in the hotel van and the captain was nice enough to explain to her why smoothness isn't a priority when you're dealing with a hefty crosswind "bUt iT CoUld hAvE BeEn sMoOthEr"

lol i just tell them theyre welcome to try themselves. that or "but did you die?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve apologized to the lead attendant once and they were like “the masks didn’t even drop you’re fine.”

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

lol i just tell them theyre welcome to try themselves. that or "but did you die?"

I've used "you're welcome to try it yourself next time" when someone persisted in giving me poo poo about a firm landing.

I had one bad landing (which I fully admit was poo poo), where one of the FA's called the flight deck on taxi in to inform us "That landing made my titties hurt!", after which the first few rows of passengers could hear the FO and I laughing.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

1) The chief pilot telling me "look at the top of the trees at the end of the runway" rather than "look down the runway." Like other people, it seems that having a specific point to focus on makes a big difference.

I like this. With the weather improving I've started getting more flights in but I notice that every day's first landing is dog poo poo. I think it's because I'm looking at the wrong reference point.

On the flipside, what consistently is easier than what I expected from video games is proper lining up and glideslope management. It's super finnicky in a video game, but with a real aircraft under your butt and a working inner ear you just know where to go as long as it isn't mega gusty.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

oh hey one other trick is to set your seat exactly the same way so that your sight picture doesnt change. anything you can do to reduce the number of variables is helpful

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I got four more landings in today and this time after I had the runway made and started to round out my landing I looked to the end of the runway and sure enough I had four really smooth landings!

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Kwolok posted:

So I got four more landings in today and this time after I had the runway made and started to round out my landing I looked to the end of the runway and sure enough I had four really smooth landings!

Hell yeah!

Arson Daily posted:

oh hey one other trick is to set your seat exactly the same way so that your sight picture doesnt change. anything you can do to reduce the number of variables is helpful

After 2 of the smoothest landings I've made so far, I have to credit cranking the seat adjuster 3 full turns up from bottom rather than the previous 2.5 turns with changing the sight picture just enough that I'm keeping the nose up and not pancaking that poo poo in flat.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Wombot posted:

Hell yeah!

After 2 of the smoothest landings I've made so far, I have to credit cranking the seat adjuster 3 full turns up from bottom rather than the previous 2.5 turns with changing the sight picture just enough that I'm keeping the nose up and not pancaking that poo poo in flat.

Now I feel short, I set the C172 seat 7 turns from the top :(

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I am average size and I sit very high up and all the way forward or else I feel like I have to move around to see over the nose and extend my feet all the way on the pedals. The way some people sit I can't imagine how they can use the controls smoothly or see anything.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I personally just bought a super over priced but well regarded seat booster. It's supposed to arrive today :)

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Walrusmaster posted:

I'm also in a C172 - I'm over 6 foot and a lot of it is torso. I didn't truly appreciate the John Glenn quote about the Mercury capsule, "You don't ride in it, you put it on," until I first tried to clamber into the C172.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i usually sit pretty close to the controls during takeoff and landing and now i do that when i drive so ive got that little old lady look when im driving. my wife, whos shorter than me, has to move the seat back when she uses the car lol

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I get real close up to my controls during taxi and then I slide my seat back after my runup is complete cause its more comfortable to taxi with my toes high closer up but way more comfortable to fly with my seat further back with my heels on the floor.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wombot posted:

I'm also in a C172 - I'm over 6 foot and a lot of it is torso. I didn't truly appreciate the John Glenn quote about the Mercury capsule, "You don't ride in it, you put it on," until I first tried to clamber into the C172.

Now try a 152.

I checked out on one during my CPL timebuilding because I was like "hey, saving $20/hour sounds pretty good" and afterward I was like "nah, I'll just pay the money."

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I don't trust the cessna rails, so I want to hear a good click and push against the seat during preflight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Now try a 152.

I checked out on one during my CPL timebuilding because I was like "hey, saving $20/hour sounds pretty good" and afterward I was like "nah, I'll just pay the money."

The 152 fits my 5'11" frame perfectly. And it's so light you can fly it with two fingers. I love it

The seats don't go up and down though so I have an Ikea chair cushion that adds about an inch and a half to get juuuust the right sight picture.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

yellowD posted:

I don't trust the cessna rails, so I want to hear a good click and push against the seat during preflight

Oh, agreed 100%. I believe there's an AD on them too. The mechanic for my club plane is constantly checking them, but I always rock the seat back and forth hard to make sure it's locked in before I taxi, and again before I take off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There’s an AD and measurements that are done but I’ve seen that people love to lubricate them with whatever they have available and it leads to sticky mechanisms and dirt-clogged rollers.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I adored the C150 I trained in. Doors didn't close fully, sometimes the flaps motor would fail in hot weather, directional indicator occassionally got stuck but drat if it wasn't cozy and easy to handle. Now I'm in a Sports Cruiser and while it's super easy to handle as well, I feel like a toddler in the seat.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Walrusmaster posted:

I go up about 10-12 turns from the bottom, sometimes I wonder if I'm too high up, but it gives me a good sight.

yellowD posted:

My school has a rail locks on all seats. The only problem is there's one or two planes where the rail lock is so far forward that it makes getting in and out tough. I've asked a couple times to have them relocate that lock a couple inches further back, but no luck.

After being away for a bit over five months, I'm finally getting back to finishing my PPL. I've got about 90min of solo XC and 45min of foggle time left to do, Then it's just pounding away in practice trying to get myself to checkride spec. My written expires in September, so I have a bit of time, but I really need to stop lollygagging.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Bentai posted:

After being away for a bit over five months,

My company was bought by private equity and we had remodeled a bathroom, so I've not driven a plane in a year now :(

Bienniel is up in August so that's the target to get back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m in a long SAN layover and I am this close to buying a banana board for when I get trips to cities with weather this chill.