Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Hey Chuck, its Jeff and nope, not overreacting. If you can, take your money elsewhere since they've proven, in one preflight, that their maintenance isn't capable of maintaining the aircraft and don't seem to care that they're not either. I think, unfortunately, that small town aviation is gonna be pretty tricky since most flight instructors are going to want to be in the large college or pilot mill programs, because that is what's going to get them to the majors the fastest, while instructing the dad with a full time job at the local uncontrolled field isn't. If time and money allow it, I'd suggest looking at one of the larger pilot programs near you. West Michigan isn't too far from Chicago or even Detroit so those might be options. I trained back when you did, and the aviation landscape has changed so drastically it's hard to put into words. It's not even the pre 9/11 hiring boom, its bigger than that, and there is an absolute frenzy to get people through training and on to the regionals and majors, which is leaves people like you with a much harder task of finding a place where you can achieve more modest goals like instructing on the weekends or teaching your son. Good luck!

Unbelievable. I've missed you, my friend. I absolutely read that in your voice. :love: You still using the same gmail address from the last time we talked? Mine hasn't changed. I'd really like to catch up with you.

Glad I'm not entirely crazy then. I got the exact same vibes last night as I got from my days flying and working line at Brooks Aero. "You're fine, don't worry about it," drat near got me killed back when I was a teenager and didn't have the gumption to push back on the chief mechanic. Dead sticking a Maule into a downwind landing at the busiest uncontrolled airport in the state when the ink is still drying your PPL cert tends to make one squeamish about that dismissive maintenance attitude. I think that's at least part of why I posted - validation that I'm not just being a chickenshit based on past experiences.

I don't know as the Chicago/Detroit schtick would be an option for me. I've got a full time gig at our alma mater these days and I don't want to be away from family for anything like an extended period.

At this point, I've got a couple options. I'll see how the other aircraft looks this weekend, assuming weather doesn't hose me. If it's a bust, I may be able to look at a small operation in AZO. If that doesn't pan out, there are a couple flying clubs around here that are worth exploring. And lastly, I have a couple computer nerd friends that have also gotten into aviation and we've had some conversations around going partners on a plane. I wouldn't mind getting my A&P current to work on whatever airplane I owned; I think I still have enough connections to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah same gmail and same number too if you've still got it. I thought you had stopped posting here so reading your post was like a bolt from the blue. Any way I'll stop the detail but feel free to call or email or PM!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Your instincts were 100% correct. That mechanic has normalized enough deviance that he’s absolutely gonna loving kill someone, it’s just a matter of when.

Condolences on trying to find an alternate rental though. That part sucks real hard right now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Maaaaan I thought getting an island trip in OE was a good thing cause I get my qualification ride out of the way.

Now I’m the only junior guy qualified for these early rear end pop-up’s to NAS. I should be sleeping!!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Rookie airline pilot mistake. Ideally you want to be the least qualified pilot on the reserve list but dodging an LA qual on OE is pretty difficult. On the plus side long San Juan overnights are freaking awesome and half our pilots avoid them because they think it's a foreign country.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1716463941298323664?t=MZKLVvoVNtCjBa7KKnURIQ&s=19

I guess trying to ride the jump seat is going to be fun for a while, huh?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1716463941298323664?t=MZKLVvoVNtCjBa7KKnURIQ&s=19

I guess trying to ride the jump seat is going to be fun for a while, huh?

:catstare:

quote:

The suspect, Alaska Airlines pilot Joseph D. Emerson, 44, was charged with 83 counts of attempted murder and endangering an aircraft, both felonies, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. Emerson was booked into the county jail early Monday. He also faces 83 counts of reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor. He was off-duty when he was in the cockpit.

Just kill yourself, jesus.

Do they teach pilots hand-to-hand?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He also got one count of tampering with an aircraft, which is another felony.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fedex does

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ FedEx also has IR countermeasures on some aircraft.

CBJSprague24 posted:

He also got one count of tampering with an aircraft, which is another felony.

But he wasn’t charged with the coolest sounding crime

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 24, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yes. They tell us to yell "judo chop!" and then comically slap someone's hand

Real talk though it sounds like the poor guy has some real unfortunate poo poo going on in his head and maybe if the FAA and aviation in general didn't stigmatize mental health this person wouldn't have done what he did. 88 felony counts isn't going to help him and it drat sure isn't gonna get others that are having problems like that seek out help either. HIMS programs and the like work and seriously get in touch with them if you need to.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 24, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

But he wasn’t charged with the coolest sounding crime

I knew what this was gonna be before I clicked on it. Every time I do some kind of security paperwork I’m like “they should really clarify this as something less kickass sounding.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...9b-825c3d072312

quote:

Off-duty pilot who tried to cut off plane's engines midflight said it was his first time using psychedelic mushrooms, affidavit says

Off-duty pilot Joseph Emerson initially gave no indication anything was wrong, but then told the on-duty pilots "I'm not okay" before trying to stop the engines

PORTLAND, Ore. — The off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot accused of attempting to shut down the engines on a plane midflight also allegedly attempted to open an emergency door after he was removed from the cockpit. He warned flight attendants at one point that they should handcuff him, and later said that he had taken psychedelic mushrooms, according to a federal affidavit filed Tuesday.
When police interviewed 44-year-old Joseph Emerson after the plane was diverted to Portland on Sunday, he told them he thought he was having a "nervous breakdown" and had not slept in 40 hours. He denied taking any medication, according to the affidavit, but told police he became depressed six months ago and talked to an officer about the use of psychedelic mushrooms, stating that it was his first time taking mushrooms.
"I didn't feel okay. It seemed like the pilots weren't paying attention to what was going on. They didn't... it didn't seem right," Emerson told police, according to the affidavit. He later added "I pulled both emergency shut off handles because I thought I was dreaming and I just wanna wake up."
It's unclear whether Emerson was actively under the influence of psychedelic mushrooms during the flight; the affidavit does not mention any evidence one way or the other beyond Emerson's own comments to police.

Protip: don’t try and use mushrooms instead of antidepressants, the approved FAA drug for mental illness: alcohol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I did not have that on my bingo card

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Related, is it possible to restart engines after pulling the fire handles?

When I was in college, the PCATD lab course I took was taught by a line pilot at Comair. This was right after the Lexington crash and, when asked what he would do in that situation, his response was pull the fire handles.

I guess my impression was it nuked the engines with retardant once they were deployed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aren’t the T-handles a fuel cut off and discharging a bottle a separate action?

Though, I’ll believe anything you tell me about a CRJ.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dunno, but the fire buttons in the EC135 cuts off the fuel and discharges the extinguisher and I'm pretty sure the FADEC wont let you restart the engine.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

On my citation the fire buttons just close the shutoff valves and arm the fire bottles, and pretty sure hitting the button again opens the valves back up, so it’s possible but definitely aircraft dependent.

No one really talks about it though because it’s assumed you’re hitting the fire button for a reason :shrug:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
On the 175 pulling the fire handle back into the aft detent shuts off fuel and hydraulic, turns off the fadec, shuts off the IDG and arms the fire bottles. To discharge the bottles the handle must be rotated either left or right (for A or B fire bottle, respectively).

If the bottles haven't been discharged, stowing the fire handle back into the fwd detent will undo everything and the fadec will attempt to automatically relight the engine.

If the bottles have been discharged, I honestly don't know. Not sure if we couldn't relight due to procedural limitations or if there's a system interlock to prevent it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Aren’t the T-handles a fuel cut off and discharging a bottle a separate action?

Though, I’ll believe anything you tell me about a CRJ.

Wasn’t it an ERJ-175?

If it was a CRJ, the fire buttons and bottle buttons are separate. Assuming it’s the same design as the challenger I used to fly, which I think it is, pressing the fire button while the engines aren’t at idle/cutoff is super duper bad for the fuel system and can start fires that weren’t there before.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yep, it was a ERJ-175. Horizon doesn't operate CRJs.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Wasn’t it an ERJ-175?

If it was a CRJ, the fire buttons and bottle buttons are separate. Assuming it’s the same design as the challenger I used to fly, which I think it is, pressing the fire button while the engines aren’t at idle/cutoff is super duper bad for the fuel system and can start fires that weren’t there before.

I meant to refer to the Comair comment.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

cigaw posted:

If the bottles have been discharged, I honestly don't know. Not sure if we couldn't relight due to procedural limitations or if there's a system interlock to prevent it.

I asked one of our maintenance folks about that a while ago, and their best guess was that the engine would likely try and restart, since the FADEC doesn't seem to look for fire bottle status when it runs a start cycle.

The person I talked to figured the bigger issue would be whether the extinguishing agent fouls the igniters or any of the various sensors the FADEC uses to schedule fuel and air to the engine, since erroneous readings from those could trigger the hot/hung start logic the system uses to decide when to abort a start.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

azflyboy posted:

I asked one of our maintenance folks about that a while ago, and their best guess was that the engine would likely try and restart, since the FADEC doesn't seem to look for fire bottle status when it runs a start cycle.

The person I talked to figured the bigger issue would be whether the extinguishing agent fouls the igniters or any of the various sensors the FADEC uses to schedule fuel and air to the engine, since erroneous readings from those could trigger the hot/hung start logic the system uses to decide when to abort a start.

If was on fire and taking damage I'd think there is concern about trying to relight and not having any fire suppression available if it goes bad?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yellowD posted:

If was on fire and taking damage I'd think there is concern about trying to relight and not having any fire suppression available if it goes bad?

If you have another healthy engine then yeah don't touch it but if you're choosing between zero engines and one that is getting hosed up while making thrust...

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, I think the design philosophy behind most jet engines is "if the pilot wants it on during flight it's probably for a reason" and it'll do it's darndest to get turning. Kinda how modern fadecs will auto shutdown an engine on the ground if on fire but not in the air.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

reasonable

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Hell, my last plane had a built in delay for shutting an engine down in flight just to give you time to put the switch back in case you moved it on accident, something like 5 or 7 seconds before actually shutting down.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When I worked at FSI we had an instructor that, during recurrent, liked to give you a flock of birds on takeoff that would kill an engine and light the other on fire. Every so often a guy would grab the glowing handle without thinking and whelp here comes the red screen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

When I worked at FSI we had an instructor that, during recurrent, liked to give you a flock of birds on takeoff that would kill an engine and light the other on fire. Every so often a guy would grab the glowing handle without thinking and whelp here comes the red screen.

“I can’t believe everyone has trouble with this,” says instructor Sully Sullenberger.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

I once had a really contrived scenario where one engine has an IDG fail and then at some point the other engine started on fire in flight. uh oh better pull that fire handle! *cockpit goes dark* Oh gently caress! Plausible? Not really, but it gets you to think a little before blindly following the QRH.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Those error conditions remind me of MYX-9001 which is ridiculous from start to finish.
https://avherald.com/h?article=4b57c3dd

Basically they were doing touch and go’s in an A320 training a group of FOs and there was a flight control computer error that needed a reset each time they landed. This reset was allowed in procedures, but that was probably written with the implicit assumption that you wouldn’t be doing touch and go’s. Eventually this resulted in a crazy edge case where they lose both flight control computers:

quote:

. At 15:05:15, the student released the orders on the sidestick while pitch attitude was still 0.3° Nose Up and the aircraft was airborne. The instructor was close to full Nose Up sidestick deflection (this position was kept for 14 seconds) and giving side stick roll position commands +5 and -5 degrees.

Four seconds later, while the aircraft was approximately 950m from the end of the runway 08, flying with the airspeed of 190 kt, at 19 ft, pitch attitude maximum of 2.8° Nose Up was reached, thrust levers were moved to IDLE and the flap lever was moved from CONF2 to CONF1, moving the flaps from conf. 2 to 1+F.

At 15:05:21 the instructor commanded “gear up” and the gear lever was selected to GEAR UP position. Two seconds later the aircraft reached its maximum altitude over the runway – 48ft and started to descend. The pitch attitude was 0.3° Nose Up, THS remained in 1.5° Nose Up position, and thrust levers were set back to TOGA.

While the landing gear was in transit, the aircraft hit the ground with aircraft engines approximately 200m from the end of the runway at 15:05:28 with the vertical acceleration of 2,85 g. The pitch attitude was 0.7° Nose Up. The airspeed was 192 kt. Two seconds after the impact, the airspeed increased to 206 kt, the pitch attitude to 9,1o Nose Up and the aircraft started to gain altitude at 6000 ft/min.

Seven seconds later, a FLAPS LOCKED and an ENGINE 2 FIRE were triggered with a MASTER WARNING and audio CRC. The aircraft was at 337 ft, the airspeed was 207 kt and the pitch attitude 19.3° (reaching its maximum of 21.8° pitch up at 15:05:38).

At 15:05:42, while the aircraft was in climb and the instructor still applying sidestick inputs in roll and pitch axis (and continued doing this until the end of the flight), the safety pilot declared “Manual pitch trim only, manual pitch trim only” (reads from PFD display). The Pitch attitude was 20,4°, and the altitude was increasing. The THS moved to 0.9° Nose Down, when the crew started to control the pitch of the aircraft by moving the THS with the pitch trim wheel and by engine thrust, by moving the thrust levers to 17° and then to IDLE. The pitch started to decrease.

At 15:05:53, the airspeed was 144kt the aircraft reached maximum height of 1590 ft the pitch started to decrease rapidly and the aircraft started to lose altitude.

The aircraft went into a dive, descending at 7200 ft/min. The instructor moved the thrust levers to 42° (TOGA) and five seconds later started to move the THS towards 4.2° nose up. The pitch attitude reached 25.7° nose down before increasing again. The aircraft reached a minimum height of 596 ft at 15:06:04 and normal acceleration reached +2,44 g. During this part of the flight, in addition to the existing MASTER WARNING, audio CRC and warning messages, several TAWS alerts were triggered SINK RATE, PULL UP, TERRAIN-TERRAIN and TOO LOW, TERRAIN.

At 15:06:23, as the instructor managed to stabilize the trajectory of the aircraft at an altitude around 1200ft and airspeed around 155kt by sidestick inputs on roll, and trim and thrust inputs on pitch axis. The instructor asked “Do we have engines” to which the safety pilot replied “We have engine two fire”.

At this point, the aircraft had L+R ELEVATOR FAULT (ELAC 1 PITCH FAULT, ELAC 2 PITCH FAULT, SEC1 and SEC2 lost control in pitch), pitch control in MECHANICAL BACKUP MODE, roll in DIRECT LAW, yaw in ALTERNATE LAW, engines 1 and 2 damaged from the impact, engine 2 on fire, flaps inoperative (FLAPS LOCKED).

Around 15:08:50, the safety pilot suggested moving the engine 2 lever to idle because of the fire. Instructor confirmed, but stated: ”If I am losing (an engine) and manual flying, I prefer (to land) when engines are working”. The thrust lever was moved to idle, but 3 seconds later it was moved back to the previous position to keep the engine working while flying the aircraft manually.

At 15:09:00 the instructor requested: “Gear down”.

At 15:09:19, engine 2 spooled down following a 100 second fire alarm and ECAM message ENG 2 FAIL. The Safety pilot informed: “Engine two is shut down”.

Twelve seconds later, the Instructor stated “Gear is down, flaps three”, to which the safety pilot stated “speed is checked, flaps three”, moving the slat/flap lever to position 3.

At 15:09:39, engine 1 spooled down. Both CVR and FDR stopped recording.

As the RAT automatically deployed, the CVR started recording again at 15:09:54. At this point the aircraft had lost electrical power in buses AC and DC1 and 2, electrical power in RH primary flight display (PFD) and navigation display (ND) and cabin light.

The safety pilot states: ”Gear is down. We don’t have engines” and starts reading the speed indication from the LH PFD to the instructor. At 15:09:56 “Speed 150”, at 15:10:00 “Speed 130”, At 15:10:02 “Speed 120”.

Approximately 15:10:12 the aircraft touched down hardly 150m before the runway threshold, burst all tires, decelerated on the runway and veered off stopping close to the left runway edge (20). During the impact, safety officer and one student suffered minor impact trauma.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whelp, after 13 years of service my A20’s aren’t working on most of the busses I plug them into. Rather than spend 300 on a new cable assembly for an old headset I ordered a Proflight 2.

Forgive me, bank account, for I have sinned.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
There’s a couple Airbuses at UA that require an adapter for the A20s to work. But a lot of people have also just switched to the Proflights too.

https://www.sportys.com/headphone-extension-cord-mono.html

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh good to know. I'll probably keep my order, I've been on and off looking for something lighter but I appreciate the lookout.

My plan is to keep them for when I finally get back into GA. Any day now.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yo if we're talking about pilot gear it's new shoes time for me so what do yinz like for footwear that is

Comfortable and breathable (obvs)
TSA compliant because I can't stop getting randomed at KCM and
won't fall apart in a year
300 dollars or less. Although if they're s tier I could go higher

Danke arigato

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CBJSprague24 posted:

Related, is it possible to restart engines after pulling the fire handles?

As others have said above, it's aircraft-specific. The Hawker 800 has a mechanical lock to prevent the t-handle from accidentally being pushed back in, and the deploy fire bottle button runs the squib current through a fuse in the fire handle that disables the engine control circuit. So on that aircraft, after you pull the handle, the engine is physically starved of fuel and hydraulics, and popping the bottle removes all power to the nacelle entirely. I think the Learjets just have a fuel/hydraulic cutoff in the t-handle and you can discharge bottles at your whim, then push everything back in. None of the ones I worked on were FADEC, though. The FADEC Gulfstreams would allow in-air restart and didn't have any circuitry to monitor the fire system. I think it was some model of Falcon that would pay attention to the engine heat/fire detection system and derate the throttle which (according to the book) wouldn't allow enough fuel for an engine start.

I would like to point out that in most planes, the fire bottles discharge onto the outside of the engine. The inside of the engine is designed to have fire in it, so they don't worry about it. The outside of the engine is where it's bad to have fire; the extinguishing agent sprays onto the fuel control, fuel/oil heat exchangers, oil pumps/filters, generators, etc..

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Arson Daily posted:

Yo if we're talking about pilot gear it's new shoes time for me so what do yinz like for footwear that is

Comfortable and breathable (obvs)
TSA compliant because I can't stop getting randomed at KCM and
won't fall apart in a year
300 dollars or less. Although if they're s tier I could go higher

Danke arigato

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-mens-citytray-chelsea-boot-512804.html?dwvar_512804_color=01001#start=1

I have these and ariat roper boots. These are way more comfortable than the ropers. They’re pretty fashionable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My rockports look like Frankenstein shoes but they’re comfy and cost like 80 bucks!