Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrYenko posted:

Think of the CS prop as a CVT transmission.
Funny, I think of a CVT as a CS prop!

quote:

That is to say, the compressor turbine and the power turbine are attached to separate but concentric shafts
I was about to say WELL ACKSHUALLY they're not concentric, but they actually are... concentric doesn't necessarily mean coaxial.

quote:

This type of engine uses a constant speed prop that is of very similar concept (during flight operation) to that on a piston engine, but whose governor works in a different way.

There's more add-on limiters and at least 1 cross connection between the prop governor and fuel governor for redundancy, but as far as I remember the basic blade governing function is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

vessbot posted:

Everything they said is true, but to answer this part in a nutshell: For every RPM there's a max allowed manifold pressure, (though, as has been pointed out, this is not "square") to avoid exceeding the safe cylinder pressure during combustion; and doing the changes in this order prevents you from temporarily going through a non-allowed combo. Both directions of power change, you're going in the safer direction first.

none of this is true unless youre talking about some insane turbo compound engine. NA and esp turbo engines can and do run oversquare all the time and its totally normal for them to do so.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Arson Daily posted:

turbo compound

WELL ACKSHUALLY I think you mean compound turbo. Turbo compounding is a completely different thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine
Turbo compounding is a really cool technology that you will probably not encounter save for some extreme edge cases

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

none of this is true unless youre talking about some insane turbo compound engine. NA and esp turbo engines can and do run oversquare all the time and its totally normal for them to do so.

Read the part in the parentheses

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i did read that part and honestly cant imagine what youre referring to. can you give an example?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

i did read that part and honestly cant imagine what youre referring to. can you give an example?

The IO-360 engine in the Piper Arrow, the ubiquitous most people's first CS prop trainer. Lower right of the graph, below 2400 RPM the MP is limited (ranging from 4 to 7 inches over square.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 28, 2024

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

WELL ACKSHUALLY I think you mean compound turbo. Turbo compounding is a completely different thing.
Turbo compounding is a really cool technology that you will probably not encounter save for some extreme edge cases

He correctly meant turbo-compound, the late WWII tech of exhaust energy being mechanically fed back into the crankshaft. The only flying engine that features this, the Wright R-3350 has this part removed on all examples due to parts and maintenance, and lack of need (warbirds not carrying war payload).

Compound turbo (running 2 turbos with the compressors in series) is not something done in aviation ever to my knowledge (but I have not been following the developments in Reno sport class in the last decade or so).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Salami Surgeon posted:

Whoa, TIL. It's like the exact opposite of a supercharger.

The list of applications on Wiki is quite a combination. A few WW2-ish aircraft, '70s Soviet boats, '00s Freightliners, and mid-'10s F1 cars.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
It's still being used now. Freightliner has it in some engines, but I don't think Daimler is using it anywhere but in North America. Volvo is using it in Volvo, Mack, and Renault engines in at least North America and Europe. They are for fuel economy now, but sometimes an OE might add TC to an Australian engine package for extra power with road trains.
Here's the Greg's Airplanes video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMgwDIdScY

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is my first month holding a line and now I don’t wanna do anything else the rest of my life.

Got back tired yesterday so I traded my Saturday trip for something easier that starts on Tuesday. No reserve, no whining from scheduling, I’m just off the next 4 days now so I can chill and drink beer.

This is the life, man.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Not a bad way to make a living is it? Did you go through with the LGA thing or are you going to stay where you're at?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

This is my first month holding a line and now I don’t wanna do anything else the rest of my life.

Got back tired yesterday so I traded my Saturday trip for something easier that starts on Tuesday. No reserve, no whining from scheduling, I’m just off the next 4 days now so I can chill and drink beer.

This is the life, man.

Amen brother. Coming from the military, it’s almost still inconceivable that I am completely free when I walk off the jet bridge.

I don’t know how some people are always angry or stressed at work. This job is the best. I get to do all my favorite things every day at work: drink coffee, read a book, work out, fly an airplane. I spend every moment of an overnight I can by myself. I love hanging out with the crew but I alone can recharge my batteries and give every moment back to my kids once I’m home (and let my wife relax a bit).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

Not a bad way to make a living is it? Did you go through with the LGA thing or are you going to stay where you're at?

I’m still heavily considering LGA, to the point that I’m planning to do it unless I change my mind for some reason. I’ve been spending a random week out of the month there just to test the water and I have a blast every time.

Pretty wild to think I may fulfill my dream of moving to NYC cause I happened to run into a goon in Texas lol.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’m still heavily considering LGA, to the point that I’m planning to do it unless I change my mind for some reason. I’ve been spending a random week out of the month there just to test the water and I have a blast every time.

Pretty wild to think I may fulfill my dream of moving to NYC cause I happened to run into a goon in Texas lol.

Let me know when you are around so we can hang out, I can help you pick which neighborhood is best for you

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/779261100

quote:

Travel Required
76% or greater - Extensive travel required

:allears:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

quote:

Salary
$152,258 - $152,258 per year
That's double what I was expecting. I thought astronauts did not get paid well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

quote:

Remote Job:
No

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Salami Surgeon posted:

Does AD00 administratively set and not on a scale?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Animal posted:

Let me know when you are around so we can hang out, I can help you pick which neighborhood is best for you

Where do pilots typically live in NYC? Isn’t it like turbo expensive?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kraftwerk posted:

probably somewhere on long island or in NJ if I had to guess

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d be moving to Brooklyn, most likely downtown, Boreum or Williamsburg but I’m still working on the list.

And yeah Animal I’ll 100% hit you up next time I’m in the area, probably gonna take a trip up around April or early May.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Salami Surgeon posted:

They pretty much only accept candidates with advanced degrees and/or significant applicable experience, so frequently they are wildly underpaid compared to what they could earn in the private sector.

The office is pretty cool tho.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

There's a lot of pilots in Brooklyn. And I haven't met one I didn't like. Yes its expensive but a legacy airline pilot can afford to live here comfortably if they don't expect to have a 3br apartment in a nice area. Affording to buy property is a different matter. You'd have to either have family money, work your rear end off to save a huge nest egg, or have a partner with high income. I live in Park Slope and I love it, once you are here for a few years it kinda ruins the rest of the country. The supermarket is a 3 minute walk, my kid's public school is a 10 minute walk and its excellent. Yesterday my wife accidentally sprayed a little bit of bleach in her eye, the ophthalmologist was literally on the other side of the block, she walked two minutes to get treated. The food options are incredible, any kind of cuisine you can imagine can be as good as if you were ordering in its country of origin. Museums, hobbies, you name it, you can't get bored here unless you are a boring person. NYC is far from the best city in the world, but its the best of what we got in the USA if you value this kind of life. I drive my car maybe every two weeks. The nature of our jobs make it a particularly great place to live because when we are off, we are off for days. So we can enjoy all that the city has to offer without all the stress associated with making a living within the city. It's also the junior base for most airlines so its easy to get seniority and then pick up open time trips.

Rolo posted:

I’d be moving to Brooklyn, most likely downtown, Boreum or Williamsburg but I’m still working on the list.

And yeah Animal I’ll 100% hit you up next time I’m in the area, probably gonna take a trip up around April or early May.

Spring season is amazing in Brooklyn, lets hit a few breweries, get good food, and walk around Prospect Park.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 8, 2024

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That all sounds perfect I’m in.

And I’ll double what you said about the food. Every time I go I eat like a pig and it’s incredible.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

That all sounds perfect I’m in.

And I’ll double what you said about the food. Every time I go I eat like a pig and it’s incredible.

Did I mention there are three Microcenter stores within range, one of them a 15 minute bicycle ride?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Compare that to the experience of being Toronto-based, which is apparently so hellish my former coworker moved back to Calgary and commutes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Animal posted:

There's a lot of pilots in Brooklyn. And I haven't met one I didn't like. Yes its expensive but a legacy airline pilot can afford to live here comfortably if they don't expect to have a 3br apartment in a nice area. Affording to buy property is a different matter. You'd have to either have family money, work your rear end off to save a huge nest egg, or have a partner with high income. I live in Park Slope and I love it, once you are here for a few years it kinda ruins the rest of the country. The supermarket is a 3 minute walk, my kid's public school is a 10 minute walk and its excellent. Yesterday my wife accidentally sprayed a little bit of bleach in her eye, the ophthalmologist was literally on the other side of the block, she walked two minutes to get treated. The food options are incredible, any kind of cuisine you can imagine can be as good as if you were ordering in its country of origin. Museums, hobbies, you name it, you can't get bored here unless you are a boring person. NYC is far from the best city in the world, but its the best of what we got in the USA if you value this kind of life. I drive my car maybe every two weeks. The nature of our jobs make it a particularly great place to live because when we are off, we are off for days. So we can enjoy all that the city has to offer without all the stress associated with making a living within the city. It's also the junior base for most airlines so its easy to get seniority and then pick up open time trips.

Spring season is amazing in Brooklyn, lets hit a few breweries, get good food, and walk around Prospect Park.

That sounds like a dream come true for me. I've been feeling really down about how awful the pay is for Canadian pilots. I'm willing to take my lumps and put in my time to get experienced but once I hit ATP minimums I'm going to seriously look at talking to an immigration lawyer and getting a job with an American legacy and settle in NYC.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

That sounds like a dream come true for me. I've been feeling really down about how awful the pay is for Canadian pilots. I'm willing to take my lumps and put in my time to get experienced but once I hit ATP minimums I'm going to seriously look at talking to an immigration lawyer and getting a job with an American legacy and settle in NYC.

The last FO that I flew with was a Canadian transplant. He didnt make it seem like it was a hard thing to do. But then again, he is originally an immigrant from Soviet Russia. So the kinda of bureaucracy that we would find Kafkaesque would be routine for him.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Animal posted:

The last FO that I flew with was a Canadian transplant. He didnt make it seem like it was a hard thing to do. But then again, he is originally an immigrant from Soviet Russia. So the kinda of bureaucracy that we would find Kafkaesque would be routine for him.

My understanding is that for the last 30 years it was IMPOSSIBLE for Canadian citizens to get immigration papers to be pilots in the United States. It simply didn't happen. The guy who got me ready for my PPL checkride graduated from the full ride at Embry Riddle in the 1980s and in spite of his best efforts it was impossible to get immigration papers in the US. He had to stay in Canada where there were zero jobs. He even offered to work for free and couldn't get a job as an instructor or anything it was hosed. He gave up on his dreams and worked as a Toyota assembly line worker until he got an early retirement from there and is now instructing in his 50s. He probably wont go airline track but at least he gets to do his dream job finally. The 1990s and early 2000s were a terrible time for Canadian pilots.

The weirdest thing is that apparently the US will provide visas to people from Costa Rica or something and Australia but Canadians can't do it. Now I have done some preliminary research and already spoke to immigration lawyers in America and they told me it's possible to get a greencard on a national interest waiver visa. In this case if you prove you have some substantial achievements in aviation and are a member of a professional organization (for example ALPA) they can argue your case and get you a waiver. It's called an EB2-NIW visa but after getting excited about it I was told it's not actually that easy to get one and the lawyers are selling me a bill of goods. Outside of that you need a labor market opinion from the US Dept of Labor. Not sure how easy that is to get as historically the dept of labor has always managed to prove an American can get a pilot job so there's no need to authorize a Canadian to get a visa for one.

So realistically the best case scenario is that I somehow meet an American woman, fall in love and get married. This skips the bullshit and opens up a possibility to work for an American airline when I got the hours/experience. Either way this plan would be something I handle 5 years down the road when I'm better established in the career... Right now I'm still working on my instrument checkride.

This might well be the year where I finally have all my ratings. I have a multi and multi ifr training thing lined up, then I can do my CPL and instructor rating. I'll instruct and then go apply for Air Canada Jazz or something to get my turbine experience. Their requirements are low and the union got a better deal on pay. I can deal with being paid like 60k if I stay in YYZ rent free like I am now.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 11, 2024

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

From the European side of things, post covid anecdotally I've heard of some people applying for green cards with the aim of going to one of the legacy carriers in the States. Not heard of anyone who's actually succeeded yet but who knows? It might happen. Prior to covid I'd never come across anyone who tried it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's a posting at work for pilots with 600 PIC and Cessna experience, offering $5000/month plus per diem and additional money per flying hour, and then $10k per month to captain a Jetstream on a rotational basis. Housing provided. You just have to be cool with being in Fort Smith quite a bit.

I don't think, Kraft, you're being entirely fair to the state of the industry of Canada. It's not quite as bad as you make out, by a long shot.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hey all, my PPL journey continues. Have done a lot of slow flight, take off and lands, touch n go's, and even recently did my first landing at a different airport. Its so but regular progress.

However weather keep cancelling my training days. And because I fly out of a relatively impacted airport, its hard to just reschedule immediately (instead I have to reschedule out some weeks from the cancelled date).

So my question is, as I am constantly chomping at the bit for more experiecne, is microsoft flight simulator at all a decent way to scratch that itch/build familiarity? I understand, of course, its no where near a replacement, but I guess my main question would be, is it actively a bad idea that could encourage or have me learn bad practices to jump into flight simulator (which afaict has my plane model and airport) and fly around a bit?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

There’s not a lot to be meaningfully gained from a home flight sim at the private pilot level, unfortunately. Flight sims can be pretty good for learning procedures, so if/when you get to your instrument rating, sims can be a good tool for practicing there. As you’ve probably noticed, most of the flight skills you’re developing now have to do with feel and proper visual reference, which a home flight sim just won’t really give you.

On the other hand, flight sims are fun and unless you’re already developing some really bad habits in the plane, it won’t hurt, so knock yourself out. You can always go the extra mile and add in Vatsim to practice radio work with sim nerds, too.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Kwolok posted:

Hey all, my PPL journey continues. Have done a lot of slow flight, take off and lands, touch n go's, and even recently did my first landing at a different airport. Its so but regular progress.

However weather keep cancelling my training days. And because I fly out of a relatively impacted airport, its hard to just reschedule immediately (instead I have to reschedule out some weeks from the cancelled date).

So my question is, as I am constantly chomping at the bit for more experiecne, is microsoft flight simulator at all a decent way to scratch that itch/build familiarity? I understand, of course, its no where near a replacement, but I guess my main question would be, is it actively a bad idea that could encourage or have me learn bad practices to jump into flight simulator (which afaict has my plane model and airport) and fly around a bit?

I think that it can be useful as an extension of chair flying if you already have a yoke/stick and rudders, but it's not so beneficial that you should go out and spend hundreds of dollars on sim gear. If you don't have that equipment already, spend the money on cockpit diagrams and do good old analog chair flying to practice your flows.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you still have to do paper navigation and not just follow the magenta line, practicing in the sim is extremely useful.

A logitech 3D joystick is plenty for that.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Home sims are great if you use them for what they’re good at. Feel and sight picture will never be right. Practice procedures & radio communications (use PilotEdge or VATsim). They’re also useful for getting familiar with airports and airspace, my checkride was rescheduled to a new location with 24 hour notice, a location I had no familiarity with. I flew around the area in MSFS, figured out the scenery and useful reference points and all the possible diversions.

Also I set ridiculously low reliability on my systems and get randomly thrown failures forcing me to actually use all those abnormal and emergency procedures. X-Plane is way better for this.

Logitech Extreme 3D pro stick is what I use, I had a yoke but it was too sticky for smooth landings.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sitting on an a319 that isn't departing because "there is an inoperative equipment or system, which we are legal to fly without, but to do so requires a qualification which none of the pilots have". I can't think of what that could possibly be. They're waiting on a company phone call, so maybe it's a company policy thing, not FAR. Any ideas what could be broken?

My best guess is rvsm related, which doesn't seem right.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: nevermind that wouldn’t make sense

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 17, 2024

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Maybe one of the autoland options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah my guess is something required for the approach, how’s weather where you’re going?