Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-mens-citytray-chelsea-boot-512804.html?dwvar_512804_color=01001#start=1

I have these and ariat roper boots. These are way more comfortable than the ropers. They’re pretty fashionable as well.

Those look nice thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Those look nice thanks!

Just fyi. Ecco is still operating in Russia, they haven’t pulled out or divested there operations there.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've had really good luck with Ariat ropers.

They hold up super well to exposure to deice fluid and other crap on the ramp, and I'll usually get about 4 years out of a pair before the sole either wears too much, or the leather finally gives up and starts cracking. I give mine a polish every couple of weeks and an occasional pass with some leather conditioner, but that's about all the upkeep they need.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ariat ropers were always my winter go to when I was dealing with snowy flying a lot :hmmyes:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

vuk83 posted:

Just fyi. Ecco is still operating in Russia, they haven’t pulled out or divested there operations there.

Came to post this.

I have an ancient pair of Ecco sandals, and I guess I won't get new ones.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

vuk83 posted:

Crud back to searching then

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Arson Daily posted:

Crud back to searching then

poo poo, guess I won’t be buying more Ecco’s. That being said, I found the Chelsea style to fit better with slimmer pants and generally be more stylish and thus help me keep a grasp on my youth. The ropers just had such wide trunks around the ankles, which made them enormous.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Are there any shoe brands that have divested from Israel or is there just no ethical consumption under capitalism?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Never has been

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can we get rid of the FFDO program or at least convert it to explicitly being a honeypot for people that shouldn’t be in command of planes or guns?

quote:

A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the plane's captain if the captain diverted the flight because of a passenger who needed medical attention.

A grand jury in Utah issued the indictment against Jonathan J. Dunn on Oct. 18 over an incident that happened in August 2022, charging him with interference with a flight crew, according to federal court records.

The Transportation Department's inspector general's office said in an email sent Tuesday that Dunn was the first officer, or co-pilot, on the flight and was authorized to carry a gun under a program run by the Transportation Security Administration.

“After a disagreement about a potential flight diversion due to a passenger medical event, Dunn told the Captain they would be shot multiple times if the Captain diverted the flight,” the inspector general's office said.

The inspector general described Dunn as a California pilot. It did not identify the airline on which the incident occurred, saying only that it was a commercial airline flight. The office did not give the flight's intended route, or whether it was diverted

Bonus:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3272130-supreme-court-wont-shield-airman-from-punishment-over-vaccine-refusal/

quote:

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against an Air Force reserve officer who asked the justices to shield him from disciplinary action over his religious-based refusal to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Lt. Col. Jonathan Dunn was removed from his command and faces additional punishment over his refusal to comply with the militarywide health policy that was implemented last August.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Sucks to be a Captain these days between jumpseaters trying to kill the engines and FFDOs trying to kill you.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
No wonder no one wants to upgrade.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Flying with an FFDO on a cargo flight is disturbing because they only have the gun to shoot you. Or a stowaway? But most likely, you.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Flew with a 74 guy who was an ffdo. Couldn't take it with him like, ever. What's the point then?

I'd almost do it for the get out of random screening free card but gently caress that.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You may have answered your own question there.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Flew with a 74 guy who was an ffdo. Couldn't take it with him like, ever. What's the point then?

I'd almost do it for the get out of random screening free card but gently caress that.

Could you even carry your SKS? :confused:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

cigaw posted:

You may have answered your own question there.

Freight dawgs don't usually go through kcm as part of their jobs.

Yeah but flying to artesia for a week (2weeks?) and then having to jump through all the hoops to keep current isn't worth the squeeze for me so that's why I don't want to do it. Although lately it's been more tempting. Anyway get rid of that program it's stupid as gently caress

G43 I have bad news about that sks...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Whelp, after 13 years of service my A20’s aren’t working on most of the busses I plug them into. Rather than spend 300 on a new cable assembly for an old headset I ordered a Proflight 2.

Forgive me, bank account, for I have sinned.

Highly recommend this guy.

https://www.kcheadsets.com

1 week turnaround from receiving the headset. Fix was $150

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Thanks for this, I definitely want to get them fixed eventually and keep them as a GA headset. They're really wonderful, just a bit bulky to keep in my work bag.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I've used this guy to get parts for my Bose X. The lifetime warranty is very easy to use as well.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Freight dawgs don't usually go through kcm as part of their jobs.

Yeah but flying to artesia for a week (2weeks?) and then having to jump through all the hoops to keep current isn't worth the squeeze for me so that's why I don't want to do it. Although lately it's been more tempting. Anyway get rid of that program it's stupid as gently caress

G43 I have bad news about that sks...
Good points! Forgot not everyone is subject to the whims and incompetence of the mighty TSA.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just want a TSA pre line dedicated to crew, I literally do not give one single poo poo about running my bag through the xray and walking through a metal detector

I just hate dealing with pax lines

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I just want a TSA pre line dedicated to crew, I literally do not give one single poo poo about running my bag through the xray and walking through a metal detector

I just hate dealing with pax lines

Lately in some airports if I’m tight on time I’ve been skipping KCM and going straight to TSA Pre. Safer than walking to a distant KCM point, getting randomed, and having to go back to TSA Pre anyways.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

This week I commuted home through SJC where the KCM line led me past and in full view of the entire checkpoint, ending in an unmanned KCM terminal and a doorbell. I pressed the bell, stood and waited for about 5 minutes while one by one just about every TSA agent noticed me, turned vaguely in the direction of a random co-worker and said “someone’s at KCM” as a line of other crew started forming behind me. Finally, I watched one guy wander away from handling the empty luggage bins, walk over to meticulously adjust and re-adjust the angle of an oscillating fan, lean against a table for a little while, then sigh and come up to log in to the KCM terminal.

But at least I didn’t get a random screening.

I was at the terminal super early or I’d have just done precheck, so yeah if KCM evolves into just a dedicated “skip to the front of precheck” line, I won’t be missing it much, personally.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The last couple times I’ve flown out of MSP I wondered if I was imagining things or if there were more crew members in the TSA pre line and why that’s a thing anyway.

It kinds sounds like the same process for deciding to use the pre line over clear?

(At MSP specifically I assumed it was due to some weirdness with the skyway checkpoint’s lines because I’ve caught more than one crew discussion of that checkpoint vs the others while trekking through the parking structure area.)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I usually carry for learning power-on stalls, just in case. Everyone knows the quickest spin recovery is to shoot the rudder pedal in the opposite direction of the spin.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

The last couple times I’ve flown out of MSP I wondered if I was imagining things or if there were more crew members in the TSA pre line and why that’s a thing anyway.

The TSA essentially tried to get rid of KCM last year (by simply random-ing everyone), and they're still pissed off that flight crews engaged in some pretty entertaining malicious compliance that forced the TSA to back down.

At the height of it, I was in SJC before the big AM push, and there were probably 30-40 other crew members there.

Since we were all going to get randomed anyway, everyone just went to precheck, and then absolutely refused to cut in line, since we didn't want to be rude.

This ended up with the TSA supervisor literally screaming that "YOU NEED TO GO TO THE HEAD OF THE LINE!" (which was ignored), and several flights pushing a little late, all of which got blamed on the TSA.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
KCM is the fall guy here. We really need to get rid of the TSA or at least have them start hiring people with IQs above ambient temperature.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I followed (what I thought was) the KCM line at SJC this morning and it spit me out at a normal looking TSA desk and they made me go through the scanner with everyone else and wouldn't let me go back to the pre check line all because i told the truth when he asked if I was flying or dead head (dh today). I've never heard of this policy and I should have asked for a supervisor but I was already running late for my flight. gently caress the TSA. I've never been hassled while in uniform before, even the lady running the scanner asked me what the gently caress I was doing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love being based in CLT. KCM flag? Go through the airport employee lane. Zero passenger lines until you get flagged somewhere else.

TSA dinged both of us out of MEM the other day then took the captains flight bag off the belt in the pre check line and pulled everything out of it. They were pissed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

The TSA essentially tried to get rid of KCM last year (by simply random-ing everyone), and they're still pissed off that flight crews engaged in some pretty entertaining malicious compliance that forced the TSA to back down.

You’d think that flight crews would be the at the bottom of the list of people you want to pick a malicious compliance fight with.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

You’d think that flight crews would be the at the bottom of the list of people you want to pick a malicious compliance fight with.

You're forgetting that the TSA has one hell of an institutional case of "small man syndrome", and the Freedom Smurfs are very, very stupid.

I fully expect the TSA to try and ban jumpseat access or something in response to the Alaska pilot trying to crash that Horizon flight, since the TSA doesn't like flight crews anyway, and they're going to be super salty that all of their "security measures" did gently caress-all (again), so they're also somewhat desperate to justify their existence.

two_beer_bishes posted:

gently caress the TSA. I've never been hassled while in uniform before, even the lady running the scanner asked me what the gently caress I was doing.

The TSA doesn't know their own policies at all.

I've repeatedly had to ask for a supervisor (and argue with said supervisor) in PDX, because they're somehow convinced that someone being randomed from KCM (on duty, in uniform) means that all the liquid restrictions apply, or that someone with a KCM badge isn't allowed to go through precheck out of uniform.

Last time I went through that, I even showed them an email the TSA and Port of Portland had sent clarifying the issue, and they still wanted to argue about it.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 3, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

LOL at all the SJC talk because it's the worst kcm I routinely go through and possibly the worst TSA in the country. No way it should take that long to go through security at an airport that size. I don't cut in line either, because that's lovely to everyone else and it ain't like the airplane is leaving without me. Oh and don't tell me it's random selection either since 8 out of 9 people got randomed at the kcm in RNO today as I was going to work. Total bullshit

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Arson Daily posted:

Oh and don't tell me it's random selection either since 8 out of 9 people got randomed at the kcm in RNO today as I was going to work. Total bullshit

It's specifically not random, that's just a nickname/catchword. (Maybe it used to be random in the past? Who knows.) It's called Unpredictable Screening Procedures, and there's various triggers that'll get you on the selection train. (Whether that actually decreases unpredictability, I'll leave to the math PhD's.)

Also we can't go straight to Precheck without being directed by USP, unless you're a Precheck member.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

It's specifically not random, that's just a nickname/catchword. (Maybe it used to be random in the past? Who knows.) It's called Unpredictable Screening Procedures, and there's various triggers that'll get you on the selection train. (Whether that actually decreases unpredictability, I'll leave to the math PhD's.)

Also we can't go straight to Precheck without being directed by USP, unless you're a Precheck member.

The Freedom Smurfs have suspended my KCM access while they investigate whether I was going to hijack myself with a metal fork and butter knife, so I just go straight to precheck now, and they've never said a word to me about it.

I may not have done myself a favor by filing an official complaint accusing one of the TSA supervisors at SMF of being "either functionally illiterate or suffering from serious memory or vision issues" (he couldn't remember anything I told him, and was totally unable to read basic information printed on my ID), but gently caress those guys and their stupid power trips.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Good news FedEx pilots! You are getting a wonderful preferred interview opportunity at…

PSA Airlines?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think they're shotgunning that out to everyone with an ATP, since I've received something similar from them.

I actually got a cold call from a recruiter at Liberty University trying to hire me as a CFI, and when I asked "Do I actually have to teach, or can I just sit in a corner and watch?" they got all offended and hung up. Guess the American Taliban has no sense of humor.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Some of you haven't flown internationally, and it shows. Looking at you, London Heathrow employee screening :argh:

Kinda amazed about the SJC complaints, seems like EWR and DEN are the worst offenders for people I fly with regarding KCM blatant disregard for whatever rules exist.

azflyboy posted:

I think they're shotgunning that out to everyone with an ATP, since I've received something similar from them.

I actually got a cold call from a recruiter at Liberty University trying to hire me as a CFI, and when I asked "Do I actually have to teach, or can I just sit in a corner and watch?" they got all offended and hung up. Guess the American Taliban has no sense of humor.

Well played :golfclap:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

vessbot posted:

Isn't unpredictable and random the same thing essentially? Or am I being dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
You can’t use randomness as a cover for over-investigating brown suspicious people