Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

friends don’t let friends go to ATP

throw me in OP as ppl and world's longest instrument student?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Sometimes you can want jets and have the scores but the follow-on training pipeline might be backed up so they put you somewhere else.

That's gotta do wonders for recruiting

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

azflyboy posted:

I asked one of our maintenance folks about that a while ago, and their best guess was that the engine would likely try and restart, since the FADEC doesn't seem to look for fire bottle status when it runs a start cycle.

The person I talked to figured the bigger issue would be whether the extinguishing agent fouls the igniters or any of the various sensors the FADEC uses to schedule fuel and air to the engine, since erroneous readings from those could trigger the hot/hung start logic the system uses to decide when to abort a start.

If was on fire and taking damage I'd think there is concern about trying to relight and not having any fire suppression available if it goes bad?

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

reasonable

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Walrusmaster posted:

Other people have recommended King Schools:
https://kingschools.com/private-pilot-certificate

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've always been a fan of the Gleim test prep, but never took their ground schools.

I used gleim for ppl and found it adequate, but the king stuff for ifr has felt way better

e: and you get the king dreams included

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Most of my time has been in a 172, but I'm definitely team Archer

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Right I have begun to realize this looking at my local flyers club rental rates. So let me put this another way: If I wanted to get proficient at a cheap but decently fast (I realize this still means slow but like fast for its class/cost) what type of aircraft should I be looking at.

I only really make enough money for a single engine standard prop aircraft, though I am still a baby who doesn't really know anything at all and am just waxing poetically about what I might do.

I learned on a 172 and then got checked out on a 152 and Archer. I like the Archer better, and it does cruise a bit faster just due to not being a flying box, but I think the 172 takes a lighter touch that I appreciate having. Also if you get a chance to fly a 152, do it, it'll teach you some things.

fake edit: people will tell you 'oh the hershey bar wings float.; this is a lie, just hit your airspeed

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

long live the kings

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Getting lost while you're still in sight of the departure airport is a hell of a thing. Absolutely zero sense of situational awareness. Just turn to 092 and hold it there for 20 minutes! That's your flight! You don't need two GPS units and an iPad and your cell phone to do this!!

Yep. Part of ppl requirements is a xc flight navigating by pilotage and dead reckoning - that is, identify landmarks, time the segments between them, without the aid of gps or vor. Which isn't needed when the airport is like... right over there

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Animal posted:

Pilots are the worst.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I’ve used a compressed air siphon gun with 100LL to degrease cowlings. AMA.

explains your state of residence

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

good lord. any pilot should be able to ground a club plane at any time

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

talking about club planes - there's a grounded placard in the seat pocket in each of ours. naturally airline sop will be different.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

king is both the funny and real answer

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Aviation Megathread 10-9:

Can you get me on the OP as PGH PPL ASEL / Eternal IFR Student

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I don't trust the cessna rails, so I want to hear a good click and push against the seat during preflight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Bentai posted:

After being away for a bit over five months,

My company was bought by private equity and we had remodeled a bathroom, so I've not driven a plane in a year now :(

Bienniel is up in August so that's the target to get back in