Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Totally, I think it's going to be hard to pick. I love how the piper Archer looks, and the throttle on it seems way nicer to use, but I feel like the cessna is a safer plane and having more downward visibility feels nice...

I moved to a 172 from a DA20 and I miss being able to see the threshold when turning from downwind to base, but I’m a stupid newbie, mind.

After a significant living-on-a-different-continent delay with work, I’m finally going up for my mock PPL test on Monday. Assuming I don’t find another new and exciting way to disappoint my instructor, probably test next week too? Any last minute words of wisdom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Walrusmaster posted:

Written test or Checkride?

Checkride!

PT6A posted:

Don't argue with the examiner, you will lose. Before *checks notes* today I thought this would be common sense, but now everyone gets reminded!

If I didn't already know that you were one province east of me, I'd be convinced that you instructed at my school - we had a similar sounding event this week. For, uh, professional development reasons, mind sharing?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Well, after even more weather and work delays, I flight tested yesterday and am now a private pilot! Now writing a sternly worded letter to The Minister admonishing them on having standards low enough to let me in the club.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for all the congrats! It's only just hitting me a couple days later that I am actually a pilot now what the heck. I set "Completing PPL" as the decision point for whether to pursue a career in aviation, and I am absolutely going forward with this. 14 years in the army has got real old and it's time to grow up and get a real job. Looking forward to flying as much as possible this summer before the province burns down.

Reading everyone's personal journeys with careers in aviation in this thread has been helpful and illuminating, I appreciate you all for posting through it.

PT6A posted:

And while e.pilot is there, he can adjust my status, because I'm now Flight Instructor - Class 1, after a successful flight test today! First bit of weather luck I've had all year, for the most part...

Canada - PPL for me please, e.pilot!

Kwolok posted:

Congrats! I wanna hear more deets.

It was a more relaxing test environment than I expected (Though I was still far more nervous than I had to be) The assessor had a good 150 lbs on my flight instructor and we were full fuel, it still surprised me how much more power I needed for some of the maneuvers, especially slow flight.