Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I guess a follow up question: within the cessna family that I could easily jump to attempt much other certifications, how fast can they go? And then comparing that to the same question for Piper's. Eventually once I've learned I'd love to take small trips to LA, so I imagine having access to whatever cruises a little fast is best.

There's no real difference and if you can fly one you can fly the other. Vintage single engine planes vary just as much airframe to airframe as they do model to model. Who knows what panel any given plane has after 50 years of a slow trickle of avionics upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

instantly my favorite watch thread/aviation thread happening

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gonna start asking dpes if they have stairs in their house

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://youtu.be/A1fmNFWNHD4?si=ee5WOtelkxUHA6wj

N.B. I haven't watched the video but I tend to trust Mike Busch on engines. His books are fantastic.

A lot of 'rules' about airplane operation are basically myths through passed down though generations of CFIs playing telephone (not talking about FARs or actual aviation).

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sitting on an a319 that isn't departing because "there is an inoperative equipment or system, which we are legal to fly without, but to do so requires a qualification which none of the pilots have". I can't think of what that could possibly be. They're waiting on a company phone call, so maybe it's a company policy thing, not FAR. Any ideas what could be broken?

My best guess is rvsm related, which doesn't seem right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

They got a mechanic to drive in and swap a computer. I'm thinking autoland probably makes sense. They did mention that weather is good where we're going, so it sounded like they just needed company approval to do something not standard. edit: delta to MSP, no water