Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CBJSprague24 posted:

Related, is it possible to restart engines after pulling the fire handles?

As others have said above, it's aircraft-specific. The Hawker 800 has a mechanical lock to prevent the t-handle from accidentally being pushed back in, and the deploy fire bottle button runs the squib current through a fuse in the fire handle that disables the engine control circuit. So on that aircraft, after you pull the handle, the engine is physically starved of fuel and hydraulics, and popping the bottle removes all power to the nacelle entirely. I think the Learjets just have a fuel/hydraulic cutoff in the t-handle and you can discharge bottles at your whim, then push everything back in. None of the ones I worked on were FADEC, though. The FADEC Gulfstreams would allow in-air restart and didn't have any circuitry to monitor the fire system. I think it was some model of Falcon that would pay attention to the engine heat/fire detection system and derate the throttle which (according to the book) wouldn't allow enough fuel for an engine start.

I would like to point out that in most planes, the fire bottles discharge onto the outside of the engine. The inside of the engine is designed to have fire in it, so they don't worry about it. The outside of the engine is where it's bad to have fire; the extinguishing agent sprays onto the fuel control, fuel/oil heat exchangers, oil pumps/filters, generators, etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kwolok posted:

I guess a follow up question: within the cessna family that I could easily jump to attempt much other certifications, how fast can they go? And then comparing that to the same question for Piper's. Eventually once I've learned I'd love to take small trips to LA, so I imagine having access to whatever cruises a little fast is best.

If you have ASEL (airplane, single-engine, land) with Complex and High-power then you can fly (nearly) any single-engine airplane less than 12,500lbs. This includes things with turbine engines. So you could go from a C-172 to a Pilatus PC-12 (with limitations) just by having whomever will rent you the plane sign off that you're good for it.

ASEL encompasses both the classic Cessna high-wing and the Piper low-wing, so even if you get training on one, you aren't REQUIRED to get training on the other to fly it, but very nearly everyone who will rent you one requires you to be "checked out" on the type before they hand you the keys.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I would also love for this to be an impetus for the FAA to be less draconian with the STC process and perhaps certification of GA aircraft in general in the eventual hope that costs come back down.

It'll never happen, but I can dream that a 4-place new-build piston single would cost as much as a reasonably nice car instead of a reasonably nice house. I could also dream that a new car and new house were affordable to someone making hourly wage.....

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kwolok posted:

Are there any aircraft or training that involves landing an aircraft using instruments only? I was under the impression that only super duper mega advanced jet liners had auto land, but I am not actually sure how that goes but my friends dad was saying how he had to land aircraft using only instruments back during the vietnam era (T-28/T-34 were what he trained on). That seems... odd to me, and not exactly practical for the instruments they had back then...

There was an "automatic carrier landing system" using some precision radars back in the day.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

More specific installations for .mil are also some flavor of Microwave Landing System, which is like SUPER ILS for beam riding.

New carrier approaches are JPALS (joint precision approach and landing system). It uses differential GPS and other sensor input on the ship side to let the airplane know exactly where to touch down.

From what I remember of it, it worked so well that they had to detune the F-18s implementation because the hook would hit the same spot on deck every single time, causing extremely accelerated wear.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

vessbot posted:

Guys just the other day I saw Southwest go around, on their own volition, from being unstable.

I know it sounds too far out, but I was there and I saw it and I swear it!

Saw with your eyes, or heard on the radio? I suspect they put dudes in a truck with a radio to make those calls so other people believe in the myth of the Southwest go-around.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kwolok posted:

Realistically, if I'm just a basic GA pilot who isn't allowed to receive payment from my passengers, do you ever get in trouble for things like, "yeah I didn't accept payment from my passengers but they bought me lunch and dinner" kinda thing?

No. If what you're doing is pretty clearly not "I'm charging people to fly them places" then you're fine. Like, you and some friends can decide you're going on a trip somewhere and they can pay you their share of gas/oil/rental either in money or by buying you lunch or whatever. But if you say "I'm flying to XXX, who wants to go? The whole flight is gonna cost $Z, so your share is $Z/2" then that gets a CLOSE eye.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Maybe one of the autoland options.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wombot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for digital/ebook editions of the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge? I have the free PDFs from FAA.gov, and I have also purchased the AFM from the Kindle store before realizing it's effectively just the PDF.

I'm looking for ebook versions that support text scaling and resizing - the text from the PDFs is absolutely miniscule on an iPad Mini.

I thought I had my copies that I hand-converted to epub back in the day, but I can't find them. If you don't mind having a separate "book" for each chapter, any of the online pdf->epub converters should work fine.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Animal posted:

fly with flip-flops, be free.

(I totally never ever did this during my Caribbean island hopping days)

I wore sandals for my first few flights until my instructor showed a pretty decent scar from where the oil pressure gauge line broke and sprayed his leg and foot. From then on, I wore long pants and closed-toe shoes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Maksimus54 posted:

At the least make a squawk so the flight school is aware. It's "probably" not going to kill you or others but a papertrail might scare them into action. We had an exhaust crack on our C177 that we didn't know about, a couple failed CO monitors helped point it out.

Making a squawk is the right call. Especially as a student. If the mechanic comes to you and tells you the aerodynamics of the aircraft in slow flight will cause this and it's not a MX issue, then that's learning for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

Fastest update ever, the entire CLT area is out of hangar space until the end of time.

Closest hangar space to CLT is Lake Norman Air Park where you get to buy a hangar that abuts a grass strip/seaplane taxiway/hard surface that has a 20x25 living space attached to make it count as a "residence" for zoning purposes. For like two million dollars.