Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Does anyone here have first or second hand experience with the flight training programs the airlines have started in the U.S.? They seem like they might be the way to go for training if you're interested in going down the 121 route but knowing airlines they could also be overpriced pilot mills that exploit students. They haven't been around long enough to develop a reputation that I've heard about even though I fly for an airline that has one.

This info is over a decade old at this point. I don't know what rates are like these days but I'm guessing they have increased since then.

Feel free to update me to PHX/A320 in the op although I will soon be LAX/777 because I suck at bidding.

Are we talking about ones with potential flows? Because:

https://www.flyingmag.com/stuck-at-the-regionals-the-downside-to-flow-agreements/

azflyboy posted:

For shits and giggles, I'll occasionally add up what Embry-Riddle charges, and last time I'd checked, they're up to well over $300,000, and that's assuming they don't raise prices in the intervening four years.

Well, yeah, they have to blow up and rebuild the campus every 5 years and have to fund that somehow.

At one point, they were offering Alumni to put their name on an airplane for the low low price of $10,000.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mesa unveils a pay for time program:

https://www.flyingmag.com/mesa-airl...byUUK7DzydvTjyw

Arson Daily posted:

Wild that the low scoring guys get helicopters. I thought that poo poo would be harder than FW.

Anyway there was shenanigans with the printer today:

The latter of which made my dickhead RT reading captain go apoplectic over. Made my day

Is putting political stickers on the printout from the cockpit printer a thing now?

... because the second one blows the doors off the first.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1716463941298323664?t=MZKLVvoVNtCjBa7KKnURIQ&s=19

I guess trying to ride the jump seat is going to be fun for a while, huh?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:catstare:

Just kill yourself, jesus.

Do they teach pilots hand-to-hand?

He also got one count of tampering with an aircraft, which is another felony.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Related, is it possible to restart engines after pulling the fire handles?

When I was in college, the PCATD lab course I took was taught by a line pilot at Comair. This was right after the Lexington crash and, when asked what he would do in that situation, his response was pull the fire handles.

I guess my impression was it nuked the engines with retardant once they were deployed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two Kings posted:

Good news FedEx pilots! You are getting a wonderful preferred interview opportunity at…

PSA Airlines?

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1720562315701973252?t=SaTiv5js6qIZFO_Eq2tGdQ&s=19

I, uh... that may be the weirdest thing I can remember seeing in aviation.

All that effort to get to Purple only to wind up at Blue Streak?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 4, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

I love applications that make you fill every hour of every type you’ve flown cause I have an hour in a B17.

I have 0.2 in a Ford Tri-Motor and never getting to put that on a resume is one of my few regrets about not following through with a flying career.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Your turn, Brown. Back to the Barbie Jet:
https://twitter.com/PilotLiberator/status/1722164495961694708

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

cigaw posted:

Eh, right now the talk is to keep Hawaiian and Alaska operations separate. Most of the pilots I've spoken to at Hawaiian are excited, which is admittedly just anecdotal and based on a single day's interactions.

I've wondered why more airlines haven't done this. IAG has done it with their airlines and it might be an easy out for an airline who suffers a PR nightmare to snag business anyway because John Q. Public doesn't know the difference.

"United had a system meltdown this week? Hell, you should go fly Continental!"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Where would you recommend taking the online courses?

I've always been a fan of the Gleim test prep, but never took their ground schools.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

the milk machine posted:

i'm just rolling an idea around in my head, but are there any a&p mechanics here? what's that like for work? how intense is the training?

My now former employer has a 147 program that is fairly popular. It's set up so you can do either day or night classes and can get everything done in seven semesters if you go straight through, possibly faster if you can do both days and nights.

It was also designed so a student could jump in at any point along the cycle and not be left behind, as Refreshers on most subjects were worked into each class.

The industry is short on mechanics just as they are pilots, and some airlines are starting pilot Cadet Style incentive programs. PSA was giving out complete tool boxes that were yours to keep with a 2-year commitment. They were also working on testing reimbursement. The college was leading the charge to try to get the 1900 hour requirement converted over to a credit hour based system.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Had my first flight today. In a 172, was pretty great. Going to do another flight in a piper archer on monday to see what I prefer.

The high wing is really nice on hot days. :eng101:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

East coast guard freq was entertaining tonight to say the least.

“You guys shouldn’t be on here, it’s for serious use only.”

“Go away Delta, you probably wear your hat under your headset.”

"You wear your hat" is a chirp I haven't heard since one of my friends at Blue Streak would routinely use it when regaling us with stories of flying at a regional.

Isn't Delta bad about it to the point where you'd better not get caught dead not wearing it on probation?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aero Crew News says APA is starting a committee to look at folding American's regionals into mainline itself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Was APA the group that posted about how air travel fatalities have dropped enormously since the 1500-hour requirement went into effect and as part of their dataset included 9/11?

Good lord, I did research on a similar data set for a Capstone project in college and would have been laughed out of the building had I included 9/11 in those stats. :wtc:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

it's even funnier that excluding 9/11 would've only dropped the figure from 99.8% to 99.5%, just a completely unnecessary own goal

if they were serious they could've just screnshotted the 3701 transcript

The intent was probably to hammer out something that sounded like it was impressive while also scaring John Q. Public into submission in 5 minutes or less.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1W1ml-uRT0

What DPE in their right mind signed her off for a private or what cereal box did she get her ticket off the back of?

Not only was she a lovely pilot, but she recorded and posted it to the interwebs for everyone to see.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

Didn’t she die?

edit, turns out if I pressed play that video covers it very clearly lol

Edit 2- holy poo poo I can’t believe she posted that. Can’t believe I share the skies with people like this, holy gently caress.

Yeah, that video is very much "well the fact that she's dead makes a lot of sense, actually".

She had Foreflight on two devices, a Garmin 430, and a more advanced GPS of some sort, in VFR conditions, on a 40 mile XC. You could probably SEE Knoxville not long into the flight :wtc:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

yellowD posted:

Yep. Part of ppl requirements is a xc flight navigating by pilotage and dead reckoning - that is, identify landmarks, time the segments between them, without the aid of gps or vor. Which isn't needed when the airport is like... right over there

One of my former instructors and later colleagues talked about the Children of the Magenta Line. She would cover or turn the 430 off at times during training so it didn't become a crutch.

My review flight for instrument, which was really a "get a feel for the DPE because he's kind of a dickhead", involved him turning the 430 to a screen that didn't depict any navigation information to simulate that it wasn't working.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JustAnother_Ben/status/1746230753719959998

B...b...b...but Sully and ALPA and Schumer said this was bad!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I’ll get this and do one of those one hour flights to see if I want to be fully invested. I’ll also start checking out some cadet schools. Thanks!

I'll add an effortpost:

I started training with a pilot mill well pre-1500 hour rule which had partnered with several colleges across the country. Private was a blast with good instructors and a great community feel, which made it easy to look past the fact the airplanes were flying buckets of gently caress. Instrument was 100% worse with a) a full class load, b) a new group of instructors with brooms up their asses, and c) every other training day being PCATD (desktop sim)/Flight/PCATD to expedite the training; my CFII noticed I was burned out and Incompleted the second PCATD on one occasion. I decided I was done when my CFI wasted an entire afternoon to do DME Arcs in an airplane in which the DME readout was illegible and he knew it.

When the pilot mill changed their strategy and folded everything back into their main campus, they went "lol cya" on short notice while the college, instructors, and students were hung out to dry; one kid was down to his Instrument checkride and his parents threatened to sue, so one staff DPE from the mill did it while the building was being packed and loaded into a Penske truck.

The college then partnered with a local FBO, an arrangement which lasted 13 years. I finished my Instrument there but, by that point, was buttfucked by the 1500 hour rule which, TL;DR, can be described as "boomers pulling up the ladder behind them". (*There is a way around this. See below.)

As for that FBO, I later returned to work for the college and watched the relationship implode after a change in ownership, at which point the new owner's omniscience in perfecting the art of "How I Runs Airplane Skool?" took a blowtorch to the whole thing.

TL;DR:
-Even the flight school industry can be volatile and change quickly.
-*An FAA-approved college program can get you hired with 1000 hours with a bachelor's or 1250 with an associate's. Combine this with a Cadet Program and it could, potentially, be a good deal with your foot in the door at a regional.
-I'll defer to others on Pilot Mill Life, but my understanding is many of them is your entire life is "eat, fly, breathe, fly, sleep, fly, repeat" and you'll still have to build 1500 hours to get hired.
-Regardless of what route you take, do your research. What's it like training there? Do they fly functional airplanes or beaters whose primer pisses fuel on you? Does it suck to train there even though they have flashy, G1000-equipped birds? Do they REALLY have a pending partnership with another college in the area or are they advertising something that hasn't yet been approved and are trying to own the college that dumped them?
-Don't rush into anything.

Kwolok posted:

Realistically, if I'm just a basic GA pilot who isn't allowed to receive payment from my passengers, do you ever get in trouble for things like, "yeah I didn't accept payment from my passengers but they bought me lunch and dinner" kinda thing?

I always understood it as not more than half the costs of operating the flight (i.e., ramp fees, fuel).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Yeah, I realized a while ago that I can either A. Be a lazy POS that lives off my parents and does nothing with my life or B. I can fulfill my late Uncle's wish, he told me last year, and go out into the real world and become a pilot. Option B is firmly the position I will be taking.

I like your attitude, just make sure you are doing it because you want to (which is what it sounds like).

I dealt with two parents who were trying to live vicariously through their kids by sending them through training. One of them didn't seem to want to be there, and it was uncomfortable for everyone involved.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A Sneaker Broker posted:

This has been a dream of mine but due to some lucky decisions and some smart decisions, school is feasible now so, I gotta attack the chance.

Awesome, go get it!

On the topic, isn't there some exception to the cross-country requirements for students who train in Hawaii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Real_EF_News/status/1748438539015262261